News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to remove and replace an IC.

Started by Bryce, 15:28, 15 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All,
   I often get asked about how to repair certain bits of hardware or the best way to do a certain electronics task. So I decided to start documenting some of my work and make How-to guides for some of the things I get asked most often. This morning I upgraded a 6128 and had to remove the ROM IC. The "How do you remove an IC?" question gets asked quite a lot, so it has been documented as the first tutorial. You can find it in the Wiki here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/IC_Repair

If there are any particular tutorials people would like to see, then let me know and I'll document them the next time I am doing that task.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

That's a nice guide!
Thank you, Bryce!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

HAL6128

yeah... it's good to see and learn from a professional....
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

mr_lou

SyX

Nice Bryce!!! :D :D :D

PD: Where is the "like" button? This post need my like ;)

HAL6128

Hi Bryce,
if I drill with a 0,8mm do I have to do anything to ensure connection through the bottom side of the platine or is soldering on both sides enough?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Bryce

The hole is usually coated on all sides, so the chances that you managed to remove the coating on all sides is pretty slim. If you used a 1mm drill, then they are no longer connected, but with a 0,8mm drill, the connection is definitely still there and you will only need to solder the bottom side as usual.

Bryce.

steve

If you left the old pins in the PCB, could you solder the new rom to them, or is that asking for trouble?

Bryce

It should work, but you might have problems getting all pins to make contact simultaneously because it's a rather uneven surface and it would look absolutely terrible. I like my mods to work AND look good, as anyone who owns any of my stuff will probably confirm.

Bryce.

endangermice

Great guide but I do think if anyone is going to replace ICs regularly, the price of a desoldering gun is more than worth it! Maplin in the UK sell a heated solder sucker for around £16 which does a very good job of removing solder from chip legs certainly better than braid! I honestly don't know how I'd get on without one of these beauties - it makes the job so much easier and the price isn't extortionate either. Still for those one off jobs Bryce your guide is invaluable!
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk