News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HxC Conversion Software.

Started by Bryce, 09:47, 29 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All (especially Jeff),
       I had some time to really test the HxC last night and experienced some strange issues. I tried to batch convert some Dsk files and it seemed to work fine, at the start, but crashed before it had finished all the files. While investigating which ones caused the crash, I discovered a strange phenonem fonominum phenomi thing with one of the files. I converted Harrier Attack* and it converted without a  crash or reporting any problem, but when I try to copy the file to the SD Card, windows reports that there is an unexpected error while copying. The only cause I can think of, is that the file is maybe not as long as the FAT reports? Has anyone else had similar problems? I was using the latest Software version on Windows 7.

Bryce.

* Don't ask why, I just always liked that game.

Gryzor

Are you sure you're using the latest version? It used to be buggy but when I reported this very same problem Jeff fixed it...

Bryce

I downloaded it last night from the HxC page, so I assume it's the latest (1.3.15.1).

Bryce.

norecess

Quote from: Bryce on 09:47, 29 September 10
... when I try to copy the file to the SD Card, windows reports that there is an unexpected error while copying
To me, it does not look not related to the software. You should rather check your SD Card / format it (low level).

Bryce

I've tried copying the file to other SD Cards and even a USB Stick with the same result and all other HFE files get copied to the SD Card without any errors. It also reports an error if I try to rename the HFE file without moving it anywhere, so the SD Card isn't the issue, the File is definitely somehow corrupt. I converted it several times with the exact same results. So the error is repeatable.

Bryce.

norecess

Ok so in that case you should contact Jeff itself..

Gryzor

It's not entirely clear - is it file-specific? I mean, does it happen with the same disk images, always? If so, then either your images are corrupt (but I'm guessing you've already checked for that) or it's a software issue, in which case you can do what I did - mail those files to Jeff and ask him to figure it out? Maybe a bug was reintroduced - I can try sending you the version I use at home...

Bryce

All I can say for now is that the SD Card isn't the issue and yes, it always happened on the same file., but I haven't had a chance to look at the problem any further, I intend doing that tonight. I need to check whether the Dsk file is corrupt (no, haven't done that yet) and I also want to see if it happens on Win XP too (could be a Win7 issue). I'll report back when I've done some more tests. If the Dsk proves to be good I'll forward it to Jeff for further analysis.

Bryce.

Bryce

Ok, problem solved (sort of). My Laptop or Win 7 seems to be messing things up on the SD Card. The Card works fine on my XP PC, but as soon as I've written anything to the card using my Laptop, the files can no longer be renamed or copied???? Really weird.

The batch copy still crashes when I try to convert all Dsk files, but I've no idea which file is crashing it, will have to look into that another time.

Bryce.

norecess

Yeah, I was pretty sure the problem was OS-based, not Jeff-specific.

At the beginning, HxC was not that stable, but now it's really production-ready and perfectly suited for CPCs! :)

TFM

It should run with Windows 7 and without errors though
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

I never doubted the hardware. As a hardware person I have already studied it in detail and it's an impressive, well thought through design. Jeff even has the PCB protected with an SMD fuse!! That's a lot more than I would normally do :D
But software can always have a few glitches, that's the nature of the product. The software still crashes during the batch conversion. I haven't checked which Dsk is causing the crash, but as soon as I do (assuming the Dsk image is not just corrupt), I will let Jeff know, so that this can be investigated.

Bryce.

Edit: Win7 isn't the problem, the batch crash happens on XP too.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Bryce on 21:32, 30 September 10
Edit: Win7 isn't the problem, the batch crash happens on XP too.

I think that they talk about this :
Quotewindows reports that there is an unexpected error while copying.

For the crash problem :

Menu Status->Set log file->(create a new log file).  After this use the Batch converter. Once crashed, open the log file, at end of it you should find the guilty ;-).
After this send it to me.
http://hxc2001.free.fr/imiel.htm

Bryce

The Laptop Issue: It will read 4GB SD Cards properly, but it won't format them (error: unable to complete format) and if a good SD Card (formatted somewhere else) is written to, using the Laptop, then the files are sometimes "locked" ("unexpected error" reported when renaming, moving and other files can't be added to the SD Card ). I assume the problem is with the SD Card slot or the drivers. The SD Card works error-free in other devices.

The batch crash issue: Thanks for the tip, I will try that out tonight and see what it reports and let you know.

Btw: The batch conversion is seriously fast, I was expecting it to take ages, but it converted >500 Dsks in seconds :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

I doubted it's the OS that does it, the program is straightforward enough... why would it be incompatible with 7 over XP?

And yes, it's seriously fast, I had the same reaction as you did!

Bryce

Eh, no with the OS I didn't mean that the HxC Software doesn't work with it. The strange card effects happen no matter what software I used to access the cards (Explorer, Photo software etc), that's why I said that the Laptop or Win7 driver doesn't like the slot.

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi Jeff,
         I did what you advised and the Log reported which Dsk was causing the crash (Targhan). However I've checked the Dsk file and it IS in fact corrupted, so I'm happy to report that the batch crash isn't a problem with your software just a dodgy Dsk :) Case closed.

Bryce.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Bryce on 16:15, 01 October 10
Hi Jeff,
         I did what you advised and the Log reported which Dsk was causing the crash (Targhan). However I've checked the Dsk file and it IS in fact corrupted, so I'm happy to report that the batch crash isn't a problem with your software just a dodgy Dsk :) Case closed.

Bryce.

Anyway could you send me the corrupted dsk ? The software should not crash with it.

norecess

QuoteAnyway could you send me the corrupted dsk ? The software should not crash with it

I'm so impressed by Jeff's support. He could just leave there. But no. Once again, a proof that Jeff just did not deliver the stuff, he also provides a professional-class support giving a safe, perfect product ! :-*

Gryzor

Jeff is indeed great, his "after-sales" support is fantastic... What can I say, I love the guy :D

Bryce

Hi Jeff,
        I sent the dodgy Dsk file to your hxc2001 email address last night. DskManager will load it but reports errors and you'll see that the file list is all messed up with strange characters. Loading it into HxCSoftware causes an immediate crash.

Bryce.

TFM

I'm looking forward to order two of the Rev. C SD-HxC, as soon as they are available.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:07, 03 October 10
I'm looking forward to order two of the Rev. C SD-HxC, as soon as they are available.

You can already preorder some of them :

:)

TFM

I love Blue! Ordered two of this diamonds! Looking forward to make my first experiences with them :-) Thank's Jeff!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I like blue, too, and the various led colors (sleeeek!), but after all, really, what are the differences with this version?