News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

IDE on CPC/PLUS ?

Started by MacDeath, 16:34, 27 October 13

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

while lurking the webs I felt on a nice website or two...

lo-tech.co.uk
Lo-tech XT-CF Boards - lo-tech.co.uk
Lo-tech ISA CompactFlash Adapter - lo-tech.co.uk
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showwiki.php?title=XTIDE+project

and also :
Sinclair PC200 XT-CF Card

Yeah that's right all of you proud owners of PC20 or PC200 from Amsclair/Sintrad...

Then I wonder.

XT were somewhat 8bit systems (originally) so they may not be quite distant relatives to PCW/CPCs.

I know quite a fair share of IDE cards were tried but few released.
what would be the use for Them ?

=HDD disk drive.
=Flash cards ?
=CD-ROMs or HD disk drives ?

Are those XT solution somewhat compatible with CPCs ?
I know those IDE interfaces are even hard to get on other computers like the ATARI STF/STe...

But is this just nice because it enables somewhat "standards" conectics :  yet obsolete a lot of materials and peripherals can be found...?

(BTW would be nice to get a Mini VGA+Soundblaster to fit into those PC20/200...)

Cent Pour Cent [dot net] are releasing new things.
Are they planing on IDE interface or will they develop things so this would be useless ?

I mean yeah, perhaps a card with a plug to put an SD card to emulate an HDD could be enough... after all.

redbox

I have an IDE interface for the CPC but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Bryce

Nice design. The ISA bus isn't quite 1 to 1 compatible with the CPC, but this device could be easily adapted to work with a CPC, although it would require some extra hardware or some changes to the CPLD.

Bryce.

Gryzor

What sort of software would you need then? Would a patched 3.2 (or 4!) do it, something loaded externally, in ROM side-loaded, or...?

Kris

Interesting device....a mass storage would be welcome on CPC :)

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:34, 28 October 13
What sort of software would you need then? Would a patched 3.2 (or 4!) do it, something loaded externally, in ROM side-loaded, or...?

Patched 3.2? Naming the software and not just the revision would be helpful :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Heh, sorry, I thought it was rather obvious, but it rather obviously isn't. I meant the 3.1 Firmware lower ROm replacement.

TFM

Oh no. Not another mass storage again.  :blank:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:25, 28 October 13
Heh, sorry, I thought it was rather obvious, but it rather obviously isn't. I meant the 3.1 Firmware lower ROm replacement.

It's a DOS it would need, not LowerROM changes.

Bryce.