Is there any recent project to connect a PC (PS/2) keyboard to the CPC?

Started by Joss, 18:42, 27 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 11:29, 02 January 15
Gerald i sit on it all night ;) But i start with it on previous evening . To be honest i think use this interface for my CPC464 new mainboard what i plan do.  If i made pcb and send one or two to you can you take time to check? And thank you for this.
I could test it, but not before 2 weeks. I just hope this is no a keyboard induced problem.

Piotr

I redraw pcb for easier fit. My idea:
Solder ic socket piggyback on AY chip, (lines X0 to X7 ,VCC and GND done) , insert PCB using goldpins to socket , connect rest of signals via wire to pcb.

]

Bryce

Nice Idea, but the AY is usually solder in. Pity there's no socketed IC with these signals.

Bryce.

Joseman

Quote from: Bryce on 22:45, 05 January 15
Nice Idea, but the AY is usually solder in. Pity there's no socketed IC with these signals.

Bryce.

Is there any electronically problem with socketing the cpc chips? more impedance on the signals? perhaps any noise on the signals if the socket is low quality or something like this?

Bryce

No, at those frequencies you won't have issues with noise and the (extremely low) additional impedance on a 5V system isn't critical. Over time sockets can cause problems due to dirty contacts, chips coming loose from vibration or whatever, but otherwise the CPC will work fine with sockets. I have a fully socketed 6128 somewhere and I always use sockets when I repair peoples CPCs, no matter what IC I needed to change. If possible I always use the more expensive "turned-low-profile" sockets, rather than the cheaper "dual-wiper" type.

Bryce.

Joseman

Quote from: Bryce on 13:54, 06 January 15
If possible I always use the more expensive "turned-low-profile" sockets, rather than the cheaper "dual-wiper" type.
Bryce.

with turned low profile you say something like this?:

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/dil-sockets/0801796/

have you any trusty online store with quality on that?

Bryce

Yes, that's the type. You should be able to buy them from almost any local or online supplier. I buy mine here: IC-Sockel bei reichelt elektronik

Bryce.

Piotr

Ok yesterday i sent PCB to factory. I expect it approx 29 january.

Joseman

CraigsBar

Are these all spoken for or would one be left over? I quite fancy a towerised Cpc lol.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Joseman

I don't think that these are reserved because i want 2 and nobody told me nothing!!  :P

TFM

Just an idea: Open a new tread for it and explain exactly what it is and what you want for one. Somehow all these things are hard to find in all the posts here.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Piotr

Sure, i do it first when i assembly working board, now is somewhere beetween China and France (DHL courier) , i expect PCB delivery in wenesday-thursday.

Piotr

Board,

]

In CPC 464,

]

But is problem again, interface not detect keyboard correctly.( i check few Attiny)  I run CPC and CPC don't see PS2 keyboard, i uplug it and plug it back on running system, keyboard start working.

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 17:07, 31 January 15
But is problem again, interface not detect keyboard correctly.( i check few Attiny)  I run CPC and CPC don't see PS2 keyboard, i uplug it and plug it back on running system, keyboard start working.
Did you check with a AtTiny2313A ? That the one I've used on the original design.

Piotr

I check with attiny 2313 in THT , attiny 2313 smd, 2313A smd, and bigger attiny 4312. Also pullup res in, and out, effect is as i say before.

ralferoo

Quote from: Piotr on 17:07, 31 January 15
Are you passively listening to the PS/2 keyboard or sending it commands?

Some keyboards are quite fussy about this kind of thing and like being told to change to mode 2 before they work. You could also try sending it a reset command.

gerald

Quote from: ralferoo on 01:17, 01 February 15
Are you passively listening to the PS/2 keyboard or sending it commands?

Some keyboards are quite fussy about this kind of thing and like being told to change to mode 2 before they work. You could also try sending it a reset command.
The keyboard is explicitly reset at power up by the microcontroller :
   - 0xFF : reset command
   - wait for end of self test (keyboard should return AA)
   - 0xF6 : set default, should reset to mode2
   - 0xED 0x02 : num lock led ON
   - 0xF4 : enable scanning

What is interresting is that Piotr keyboad only works if it get unplugged an plugged after power up. This could mean that it does not like the reset sequence.

@piotr : is the capslock led on after power up ?
The keyboard set the 3 led on during reset, then reset them all. The microcontroller will only light the numlock once the reset is done.

Piotr

Hello, sorry for delay so:
Attiny 2313A AVR studio 4,  2 keyboards, one UK layout second one French.
Power up Amstrad and interface and keyboard connected, computer don't see keyboard, i unplug and plug back, interface start working. On both keyboards.
If i press numlock key, keyboard hanging again and i can't write. Led from numplck noty working.
Ok, Gerald i go to post office right now and i send you interface.

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 15:45, 02 February 15
If i press numlock key, keyboard hanging again and i can't write. Led from numplck noty working.
Ok, it seems we got something to look at.
Pressing numlock will make the uC to toggle the numlock led, and it looks like your keyboards does not like it. The init sequence does that as well.
What are the exact model of your keyboard ?

Quote from: Piotr on 15:45, 02 February 15Ok, Gerald i go to post office right now and i send you interface.
Finger crossed that it's not only keyboard related  ???

Piotr

One is Noname China UK layout, second is Logitech k120 French layout. I try also connect USB keyboard but without sukcess. Ok, we see. For now i finish next floppy interface to ZX Spectrum and i'm very busy assembling it for people.. Ufff.

Piotr

Ok, today next keyboard arrived, and working fine. I open second topic about this interface.

gerald

Quote from: Piotr on 14:25, 05 February 15
Ok, today next keyboard arrived, and working fine.
Good and bad news  ;D . We still don't know why the other do no work.