Is there any way to write 3.5" discs for CPC from PC using a USB floppy drive?

Started by db6128, 07:02, 19 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

db6128

Well, I just bought a tonne of things – a cable and a PSU for one of my existing 'internal' drives to use with my 6128, a 50-pack of discs, and a USB floppy drive to write from my laptop – and then read that apparently CPCDiskXP doesn't work with USB-based drives. Is that still true? Do none of the other (mostly older) tools work with USB? I don't particularly want to have to keep a beige-box tower PC around purely to write DSKs.

I bought the 3.5" stuff mainly because I thought the HxC was a bit too expensive right now, but if the USB drive cannot be used, then the 3.5" stuff might be a waste of money and I should have just bought an HxC to begin with.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Mochilote

You can use the tool WriteDSK, in combination with the USB floppy drive on your PC to do what you want.

00WReX

As Mochilote has mentioned, WriteDSK work well. I use it all the time for the same reason you mention.
Below is some previous discussion & the required files...

Writing DSK images to 3.5" floppies

files...

Writing DSK images to 3.5" floppies

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

db6128

Very good replies, thanks, and a very useful looking program. But I don't know if that'll save the USB drive and disks from being returned: having to do the transfer in two steps is not ideal, but more significantly, I would have no way to read disks back to PC without needing an internal drive again anyway.

I guess I will keep an old PC around after all! Hopefully I can also get my FD-1 working on it, too. Just trying to be sensible and find ways to avoid spending £70 on an HxC. ;)
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Gryzor

Sure, if you mean you'll look into preserving flowers in a vase longer versus splashing out for a garden... :D