News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Keyboard springs

Started by Patrick, 12:57, 24 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

I used to remove all springs from keyboard when cleaning a CPC.
I had some problem with the last CPC: some tiny springs inside the keys were destroyed. So I needed to find replacement parts.
I ordered 0.3*3*10mm springs on eBay (most approaching size). Just received them today and though I find them a bit taller than original parts, they fit perfectly.
All keys are working well.
If someone can put this information in the wiki it would be great.

Bryce

You can shorten small springs with a good sharp cable cutters without effecting the function (if you're careful).

Bryce.

Patrick

The springs are taller when looking at them in place but there is no unexpected contact so no unexpected key press.
I have the feeling that the keys are harder to press. The springs are may be stronger, but that's not a problem for me.

pelrun

Quote from: Bryce on 14:00, 24 April 20
You can shorten small springs with a good sharp cable cutters without effecting the function (if you're careful).

I don't know what side cutters you have, but about 90% of them are softer than the spring material. I've seen so many damaged tools!

I basically don't go near springs with anything other than an abrasive cutoff wheel in a dremel these days.

Bryce

Quote from: pelrun on 06:09, 25 April 20

I don't know what side cutters you have, but about 90% of them are softer than the spring material. I've seen so many damaged tools!

I basically don't go near springs with anything other than an abrasive cutoff wheel in a dremel these days.

For bigger springs I'd use a dremel type cutter, but I have an extremely hard cutters that can be used for springs this small.

Bryce.

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: pelrun on 06:09, 25 April 20

I am calling BS on that one.

There are many tools out there that didn't pay attention to Physics in school (not knowing that force is inversely proportional to surface area...) and are trying to use grandpa's old rusty garden shed plier (attached) on steel. OF course that doesn't work.

You need a small high precision electronics plier like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Jonard-Carbon-Steel-Flush-Cutter/dp/B00AIBH45K

No problem cutting ANY steel spring of that size with that. Throwing a Dremmel at this is insane.
You guys are funny  :laugh:

Bryce

Strange, the second Amazon reviewer of that very product you linked to said it broke while he was trying to cut relatively thin sheet steel, which is hundreds of times softer than hardened spring steel. I wonder how he would have got on with cutting a spring?

Bryce.

pelrun

It's got little to do with sharpness and everything to do with the hardness of the material. Most sidecutters are of similar or lower hardness to the steel used in springs. Or they're not tempered properly and snap a blade right off when trying to cut through something that hard.

High quality (and bloody expensive!) sidecutters will do better. But even then there's a limit. And I don't want to risk a good Knipex on a random spring...  ;D

Patrick

Especially if there is no need to cut these springs :P ;D

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: Patrick on 09:03, 29 April 20
Especially if there is no need to cut these springs :P ;D

Then cut your toenails with it. Works GREAT!
I cannot recommend this product more highly. BUY!