News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Limited batch of new S-Video Adapters.

Started by Bryce, 19:54, 03 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
     you may remember the S-Video adapter that I did a while back, if not, take a look here: RGB SVideo - CPCWiki . Well I was asked to make a small batch (for an Amiga user) and decided to make a few more than required for the obvious economic reasons. As some of you may also know, I like hardware to be small, but this time I out-did myself. The new version is almost half the size of the old one (which wasn't very big to start with anyway) and is a mere 25mm x 32mm, so it can fit almost anywhere you might care to put it. It's also done on a professionally manufactured PCB this time around. I'll be building some of these over the next few weeks and I'll have a (very) limited few spare ones, so if you didn't get one first time around and want one, then now is probably the time to let me know (send me a PM). They cost €38 + €5 postage.

Here's a few pictures of the first one for your viewing pleasure:

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

redbox

Can you do any connector cables for them (6128 Plus 5v end, not S-video of course)...?

Bryce

I hadn't intended offering cables, because there are so many variations and most people in the past wanted to install them internally. The connections are all on the Wiki page. The new version is pin compatible with the old one.

Bryce.

redbox

Thought you might say that, but totally understandable.

My soldering iron makes me cry.  I need some bell wire, old ICs, about 3 days and P R A C T I C E.  :D

Bryce

Soldering a cable isn't that difficult, I'm sure you'll manage it :)

Bryce.

sigh

I advise to anyone who hasn't got one to pick one up asap!

Quote from: Bryce on 21:27, 04 April 13
Soldering a cable isn't that difficult, I'm sure you'll manage it :)

Admittedly ,I've yet to install it on my Plus 6128. Is there a little youtube vid to see how your doing it as paper instructions can be my downfall :-[ .

redbox

Quote from: sigh on 12:19, 05 April 13
Admittedly ,I've yet to install it on my Plus 6128. Is there a little youtube vid to see how your doing it as paper instructions can be my downfall :-[ .

I was worried about fecking up the ICs in my Plus by soldering directly to the pins.  Hence wanting to make a cable.

You need a DIN connector and a 5v through connector.  Anyone got any ideas where I can buy these from?

Bryce

It's not a video, but the pictures here should be enough for anyone to wire it up internally or externally: RGB SVideo - CPCWiki
The points you need to solder to are far enough from any sensitive parts that it is almost impossible to damage anything no matter how ham-fisted your soldering skills are.

Bryce.

HAL6128

I received mine yesterday. Wow, that a nice part of Hardware and so small!! :D
Thanks Bryce.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Which monitor did you connect to it? Do you like the picture? Can you suggest a good monitor?

.... just asking ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

OCT

Run through an S-Video to VGA converter such as the Pollin classic 721 190 "Video zu VGA Konverter-Box PREMIUMBLUE V2V" or its tuner-equipped sibling known as the "Geniatech LCD TV BOX Supera Color", pretty much any TFT or even CRT will do.
As suggested for the earlier version (much recommended, though trying&soldering differing capacitors was needed back than), I'd propose to move the red wire to pin 2 (different from the Wiki schematic below) so the modulator won't be always-on:

OCT

Quote from: redbox on 12:27, 05 April 13I was worried about fecking up the ICs in my Plus by soldering directly to the pins.  Hence wanting to make a cable.

You need a DIN connector and a 5v through connector.  Anyone got any ideas where I can buy these from?
The DIN connector is documented in detail at How to connect a CPC+ to the CTM 644? &
How to connect a CPC+ to the CTM 644? (for the few screens/projectors that will work without a modulator).

For the power Y adapter, Pollin's 561 880 won't fit (at least without drilling it out quite a bit) on the thick inner pin of the 5V supply on the Plus (might be a 5.5/2.5mm rather than the more conventional 5.5/2.1mm connector).

The solder points are on the bottom/underside (yes, actually an English word too ;)) of the Plus circuit board, i.e. rather accessible though.

Bryce

Quote from: OCT on 12:46, 20 April 13
As suggested for the earlier version (much recommended, though trying&soldering differing capacitors was needed back than), I'd propose to move the red wire to pin 2 (different from the Wiki schematic below) so the modulator won't be always-on:

Actually, there's a good reason why I suggest taking the power from that point. The S-Video won't be always on, because most people will turn off their power supply / Monitor when they aren't using the CPC. More importantly, it ensures that the modulator has booted before the CPC, so it has time to initialise and stabilise the picture before the CPC starts sending data, otherwise you get an ugly flickering black and white stripes for the first second after you turn the CPC on.

Regarding the capacitor: That bug has been removed in this version. I've also made some other improvements, which improve the picture in some circumstances. There's also a further mod you can do, to improve the picture on the Plus (remove the vertical striping). I can upload the details here if anyone needs them.

Bryce.

OCT

Quote from: Bryce on 20:30, 20 April 13
Actually, there's a good reason why I suggest taking the power from that point. The S-Video won't be always on, because most people will turn off their power supply / Monitor when they aren't using the CPC. More importantly, it ensures that the modulator has booted before the CPC, so it has time to initialise and stabilise the picture
I was thinking many people using a modulator won't have the original monitor including PSU anymore (my Plus at least can't drive both a plugged RGB and the modulator at the same time anyway) but rather use some PC or external switching PSU that stays on longer for other reasons outside the CPC anyway.

No harm except for the first flicker expected from using Pin 2 after the cartridge lock/power switch though I hope?

Additionally of course I had the situation that more frequent power cycles wouldn't hurt on the older IC which wouldn't always get the proper sync.

QuoteRegarding the capacitor: That bug has been removed in this version.
I wouldn't have doubted, :) and clearly referred to the earlier model lest there be any misunderstanding among prospective customers of yours.
QuoteI've also made some other improvements, which improve the picture in some circumstances. There's also a further mod you can do, to improve the picture on the Plus (remove the vertical striping). I can upload the details here if anyone needs them.
By "vertical striping" you mean a "prison bar"-like effect of approximately MODE 1 character width, and especially shadowing on blue edges?
Very interested in any improvements I can make as I have to reseat the connector anyway.

OCT

Quote from: sigh on 12:19, 05 April 13
Admittedly ,I've yet to install it on my Plus 6128. Is there a little youtube vid to see how your doing it
Thought I'd already uploaded some pictures like these (anybody know where they were?), also showing the "mechanical" details:

OCT

N.B. the above is a somewhat larger earlier model, and Master Bryce on the Wiki and previous page recommends using the unswitched side of the power plug instead of Pin 2.

Bryce

No, there's no other negative effects to switching the S-Video with the CPC, just the visual flicker.

Yes, it's the "prison bars" I was referring to. If you compare the classic CPCs RGB lines (just before the monitor socket), you'll see that there were 3 colour buffering capacitors.  Amstrad in their infinite wisdom decided to leave these out on the Plus. This isn't a problem on the original monitor, but on modern TVs it causes these "prison bars". Add the capacitors back in and the problem will be greatly reduced.

Bryce.

[attach=2]

OCT

Capacity "220" in picofarads?

Bryce

Yep, 220pF ceramic disk type.

Bryce.

atomicburner

C= A1200 020 @ 14MHz + 4Gb CFCard + WHDLoad
C= A4000 030 @ 25MHz + 2 MB Chip + 16 MB Fast + 80Gb HDD + WHDLoad + DVD LG + Chinon FZ-357A
Macbook Pr 15" CoreI5 @ 2,53GHz + 8GB Ram + 500 HD
HTPC - OpenElec AM3 +  4GB + EVGA GT210 1GB GDDR3
Arcade - C2D E8400 @ 3.00GHz + Asus P5G41T-LX + 4GB  Corsair DDR3 @ 1333MHz + ATI Radeon HD4800 1GB DDR5

atomicburner

Payment sent.
Waiting for the SVideo adapter....  :P

C= A4000 030 @ 25MHz + 2 MB Chip + 16 MB Fast + 80Gb HDD + WHDLoad + DVD LG + Chinon FZ-357A
Arcade - C2D E8400 @ 3.00GHz + Asus P5G41T-LX + 4GB  Corsair DDR3 @ 1333MHz + ATI Radeon HD4800 1GB DDR5

Bryce

The adapter will be sent today. Here's the connection diagram you asked for. The adapter can be powered directly from the video port. It uses around 60mA at most, well below the 100mA limit of the port.

Bryce.

(Yes guys, I know this is a CPC Forum, move it to Other Retro if you like :D )

beaker

Oh dear. Is the Wiki community getting that tetchy these days? Lol. Shame, I used to enjoy it here :(

atomicburner

Hey Bryce, thanks for the diagram.

You are the best..

Cheers