News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Look what I got!

Started by EgoTrip, 20:20, 25 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

Finally managed to get hold of a cheap CPC. Here it is:

It's in good condition for its age and quite clean, it still needed wiping down but there wasn't much dirt on it. It has clearly been looked after.

However there are a couple of issues. First, the monitor is an old GT-64. When it turns on the screen rolls for about a minute before settling down. Also, the screen is not centered. I am slightly worried about this, as I have the feeling the monitor is on its way out, it is after all 31 years old. I hope it lasts for a while though because a replacement is not going to be possible for a while.

Second, I can't get anything to load from tape. The sound is all warped, I am assuming its because the belt needs replacing. I have not yet opened up the 464 to check.

These issues aside, I got a bargain and am happy with my purchase.

Bryce

The capacitors in the monitor have probably all died. I'd swap them all. That will probably solve both problems.

The tapedeck belt will also be well past it's best too, causing the warped sound.

Bryce.

EgoTrip

How do you replace capacitors? I heard that they can hold charge for a very long time and can be deadly if you don't know what you are doing, and I don't know what I am doing. I don't even own a soldering iron anyway. I think I will just get a cheap LCD monitor and use it on that, then I can have colour.

The tape belt is within my expertise though. Just need to wait until I have some money to buy some.

Bryce

Definitely! If you don't know exactly what you are doing, keep your fingers away from the insides of a CRT. Eitherway, it's only a GT64. Get yourself a decent PSU and a SCART cable.

Bryce.

EgoTrip

My tape belt arrived today. So I attempted to fit it. In the process I could not unscrew one of the screws at all. So I tried a different screw on the side, and in the process broke the eject mechanism and I can't fix it. I put the new belt on but nothing has changed - its still all warbled and giving me loads of read errors. I did manage to get Dizzy to load once, but now its not loading anything.

I'm really fucking annoyed now. I thought it would be an easy job, its only a stupid rubber band. How did I fuck it up so badly? Maybe the tape drive is just dead anyway, but even if I get a new one I have to replace it and theres no way I will manage it, being a retard and all that.

bjt

When replacing the rubber band, I think you only have to remove one screw - the one that holds the metal plate on top of the largest pulley. Then you can slide the bands between the metal plate and the centre of the pulley.

Your tape drive isn't necessarily dead btw. I had to clean the head on mine with alcohol and mess with the head alignment before I got reliable loading. Could also be the tape that's messed up, does the tape surface look OK? Have you got a few tapes to test.

EgoTrip

It's definitely not the tapes. Its the deck that's not working correctly. I already cleaned the heads. Its still making the warbled sounds.

That screw you mentioned is the one that refused to come out. Which is why I had to resort to the one at the side and fucked the entire thing up.

My last realistic option is one of those cd-tape adapter things. Then I can just play wav's off a player. But knowing me I'll manage to screw that up too.

Bryce

Relax my friend. Things don't always go as planned. The "warbling" could be many other things too: Badly worn pinch-wheels, motor wear etc. If you want, pack the tapedeck up, send it over and I'll give it a full service (and fix the eject while I'm at it).

Bryce.

EgoTrip

After shipping costs it'll probably work out cheaper to just find another one. Besides I'm reluctant to even attempt to remove it, I'll no doubt completely kill the CPC in the process.

Bryce

It's actually quite easy to remove. They aren't that easy to find though and even then it probably won't be serviced so will need some attention too, but it's an option. If things don't work out you can send it to me as a last resort :)

Bryce.

EgoTrip

When I win the lottery perhaps. Thanks for the offer.

Bryce

I'll keep a lookout for one for you. If it's in Germany I could service it before it gets to you.

Bryce.