News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Look what the mailman brought me today! :-)

Started by mr_lou, 15:53, 14 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Finally it's my turn to get a GX4000.  :)

Seems to work fine, when using the same scart cable I'm using for my CPC+, but the picture seems very "dusty" compared to the bright picture I'm getting from my CPC+.

Does anyone have any ideas about that?

||C|-|E||

It seems to be in really neat condition! BTW, the picture of the pads shooting fire is simply amazing, there were different times, that is for sure  ;D :D .

seanb

I don't think I've seen any other games console that has been looked after as well as the gx4000

Wonder why   :D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

||C|-|E||

For sure it was the best Christmas present ever for somebody :P

mr_lou

@Bryce, do you have an idea about the dusty picture?

I have my CPC+ connected to a Phillips 14" CRT TV.
I use the same TV and the same cable to connect this GX4000, and while my CPC+ gives me a great bright picture, the GX4000 gives me a dusty picture, like brightness has been turned up a lot and contrast has been turned down a lot.

This isn't normal, is it? You think it's a component that has gotten tired?

Bryce

Does the SCART cable have resistors in it?

Bryce.

00WReX

Is that one of those 'New old stock' GX4000's that the UK seller has been selling heaps of ??

Been thinking of grabbing one of those...

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 08:30, 15 July 15
Does the SCART cable have resistors in it?

Um... I dunno. It's the same cable that was with the CPC+ that you modded for me. So I guess you'd know?
Shouldn't the same cable that gives a great picture on the CPC+ also give the same great picture on a GX4000? I mean, aren't those two machines roughly the same in that aspect?

Quote from: 00WReX on 08:59, 15 July 15Is that one of those 'New old stock' GX4000's that the UK seller has been selling heaps of ??

Yup, that's the one.  :)
Very nice condition indeed, but this picture issue is annoying. I hope it's easy to fix somehow.

arnoldemu

Question:

The box shows square cut outs around the connectors, I don't think mine has those, I think the cutouts go around the sockets neatly.

Like this:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/1980s/89_Amstrad_GX4000/89_Amstrad_GX4000_OC_Rear.jpg

and see here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gx4000+front&safe=active&biw=1280&bih=913&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMImtCYi-HcxgIV6AjbCh3Dug72#safe=active&tbm=isch&q=gx4000+console+front&imgrc=zVPxolfySfgj-M%3A

strange the box shows big cut outs at the front.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Yes, but I didn't make the cable did I?

The Plus and GX4000 video circuitry are almost identical. The only difference is that the RGB signals are also sent to the RF and SCART circuitry in the GX which could lower their peak values slightly. Have you tried connecting via the SCART output?

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: mr_lou on 09:12, 15 July 15
Um... I dunno. It's the same cable that was with the CPC+ that you modded for me. So I guess you'd know?
Shouldn't the same cable that gives a great picture on the CPC+ also give the same great picture on a GX4000? I mean, aren't those two machines roughly the same in that aspect?

Yup, that's the one.  :)
Very nice condition indeed, but this picture issue is annoying. I hope it's easy to fix somehow.
Try using a normal scart  to scart  cable. Mine is perfect that way. The monitor output is meant to be used with a cm14 and the 5v supply not the 9v one.

If using 5v use the din socket.
If using 9v use the scart socket.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Using the 9V with DIN isn't a problem, but using the SCART socket with 5V means you loose the switching signal on the SCART socket.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 10:16, 15 July 15
Using the 9V with DIN isn't a problem, but using the SCART socket with 5V means you loose the switching signal on the SCART socket.

Bryce.
Ahhh. I guess that makes sence. I only tested 5v with my cm14.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 09:52, 15 July 15
Yes, but I didn't make the cable did I?

I honestly don't know. You might have, but I don't think so.

Quote from: Bryce on 09:52, 15 July 15
The Plus and GX4000 video circuitry are almost identical. The only difference is that the RGB signals are also sent to the RF and SCART circuitry in the GX which could lower their peak values slightly. Have you tried connecting via the SCART output?

Did just now. Gives an amazing picture. Even better than my CPC+ I think!
I guess that means the dustier picture from the monitor out is normal on the GX4000....

Thanks!

mr_lou

Mystery solved.

Use the 9-volt PSU = SCART plug gives a perfect image.
Use the 5-volt PSU = DIN plug gives a perfect image.

CraigsBar

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:20, 15 July 15
Mystery solved.

Use the 9-volt PSU = SCART plug gives a perfect image.
Use the 5-volt PSU = DIN plug gives a perfect image.

*Cough* ahh shucks I said that LOL ;)

mr_lou

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:36, 15 July 15
*Cough* ahh shucks I said that LOL ;)

Yes you did. I admit I missed that for some reason. Saw it after I posted though.