News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MegaFlash Progress

Started by Bryce, 20:25, 03 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

SyX

I have tested both versions without problems... it would be nice if the "basic" version had the nice file selector of the FutureOS version  ;)

And other possible suggestion (but i will do this when the docs appear), make a RSX for send a rom fast to the board without enter into the gui, i'm thinking in the case of people making & testing new roms. For example, |ROM2FLASH,"A:network1.rom",15

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 10:04, 13 April 11
I have tested both versions without problems... it would be nice if the "basic" version had the nice file selector of the FutureOS version  ;)

Well, Bryce had the same idea. And I'm running out of excuses now ;D . However for Amsdos/Basic I have to code such a kind of file selector from scratch. Maybe I can do something similar, let's see. I'm not so much into firmware any longer. As soon as I have some time I'll care about it.

Quote from: SyX on 10:04, 13 April 11
And other possible suggestion (but i will do this when the docs appear), make a RSX for send a rom fast to the board without enter into the gui, i'm thinking in the case of people making & testing new roms. For example, |ROM2FLASH,"A:network1.rom",15

Such an RSX is a good idea an possible too. But it will screw up at least about 17 KB of RAM. The reason is, if the MegaFlash is switched to write-mode, no program can be running in a ROM. So the program at this time must be located in the RAM and can't use any kind of OS functions. Therefore it must be copied to RAM and.... also the ROM will be loaded into RAM. But the memory below &4000 can remain untouched.

I'll keep that RSX in mind - good idea! ;D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SyX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:13, 13 April 11
Well, Bryce had the same idea. And I'm running out of excuses now ;D . However for Amsdos/Basic I have to code such a kind of file selector from scratch. Maybe I can do something similar, let's see. I'm not so much into firmware any longer. As soon as I have some time I'll care about it.
I know, making a file selector in 2011 is sooooo boring...  and it's perfectly logical that in your "CPC Time", you prefer to use FutureOS and coding for it  ;)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:13, 13 April 11
I'll keep that RSX in mind - good idea! ;D
Thanks!  :)

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 19:34, 13 April 11
I know, making a file selector in 2011 is sooooo boring...  and it's perfectly logical that in your "CPC Time", you prefer to use FutureOS and coding for it  ;)
Thanks!  :)

Hehe, that sounds fair enough. But in this case the BASIC version of the software has higher importance. So everybody can use it. On the other hand, the original reason to create the MegaFlash was to provide a very cheap & high quality means to allow people to use FutureOS, just to be able to play our upcoming games.
Finally my sparetime is very limited, and that's the point. If I will _have_ some hours off then I will make that kind of file selector. It's not a problem - just a problem of time.

Further the FutureOS version will always be a "bit" (like the bit from Clu, first Tron movie) advanced. Loading files will be more quick, and some other stuff. But if you don't count the microseconds you will be ok with both versions of the software.

Well, at the moment Bryce is working with a 256 KB prototype, but he likes to shift the project to 512 KB (I like that too). Concerning the software I just have to change a variable in the source before assembling, then we already have the software for the 512 KB. This means in essence:
- 32 instead of 16 ROMs (16-31 can be used due to Booster Software)
- other Flashing algorithm
- and maybe some additional gimmicks

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SyX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:23, 13 April 11
Further the FutureOS version will always be a "bit" (like the bit from Clu, first Tron movie) advanced. Loading files will be more quick, and some other stuff. But if you don't count the microseconds you will be ok with both versions of the software.
Jejeje, that sounds fair, too  ;D

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:23, 13 April 11
Well, at the moment Bryce is working with a 256 KB prototype, but he likes to shift the project to 512 KB (I like that too).
ME TOO!!!  ;D

I want that this project get the recognition that deserve and i hope that it will be used for new hardware expansions, making them smaller and cheaper (they would not need to add a rom neither the logic to page it)  :)

TFM

Also the ROManager version for FutureOS is finished now. Can be downloaded also at www.FutureOS.de (download section). Bryce will test it as soon as he has time and passion for it ;-)

Now (for me) the phase of polishing the software begins... and Bryce will (if I'm allowed to guess) focus on the 512 KB version, since the 256 KB version is already running.

Have a good weekend all together...
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

A question here, it's a bit a philosophical question. Well, shall software babysit you or shall it allow you to kill your machine...

In detail: Do you think that the FlashROManager software shall warn you before deleting BASIC, AMSDOS of FutureOS (when using it currently)? Or do you think this is just a bothering additional comment???

Bryce and TFM appreciate your comments! Please comment here ... : X  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

"Kill your machine" is a bit over the top. It's only the AMDOS / BASIC on the MegaFlash that would be deleted! There's no damage to the AMSDOS or BASIC inside the CPC. The CPC just crashes. But I think it should warn you that your machine is about to crash.

Bryce.

:) My PC already has this warning built in - As soon as it says "Windows is starting" I know it's likely to crash some time soon :)

Bryce

I suppose I should probably give a hardware update too while I'm here. The schematics are finished and I have several possible layouts done. I'm working on the final layout, which I will build probably by the end of the month and use for the final software tests. As soon as these are finished I will release more info and a few pictures.

Unfortunately I have very little time at the moment, so progress is much slower than I would like it to be.

Bryce.

McKlain

Quote from: Bryce on 20:49, 21 June 11:) My PC already has this warning built in - As soon as it says "Windows is starting" I know it's likely to crash some time soon :)

Still using Windows 95?  ;D

Bryce

No, I use Linux, windows is just for starting games  ;)

Bryce.

TFM

Well, at the moment nobody seems to care about additional messages... maybe CPC freaks are all smart enought to know, that it is not funny to mess with BASIC etc.

For the Checksum... they can't be adapted in ROMs 0 and 7, because they don't have checksums like all other ROMs. The only exception that I know is ParaDOS which also has no checksum (at &FFFF).

However I will put it on the 2DO-when-time-is-left list ;-)

cu. TFM
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Well, i guess that it should not hurt to warn about it, but the really important is that if you want, you can destroy (for example, a new basic rom, ...) and raise it from the dead  ;)

Bryce

It's a long weekend here in Germany, 4 days of weekend and my plan was to get lots of electronics done. Unfortunately my soldering iron decided destroy all my plans by dying this morning, the weekend is ruined :(

Bryce.

TFM

OMG! Now, in this case I suggest to relax and enjoy the weekend with family and friends.

Well... I think about a warning message, that just appears, but it doesn't stop you. I mean, there are good reasons to change the BASIC ROM f.e. you can replace "Ready" by "Hello" and I know a lot of small patches that make sense too (f.e. get rid of the ,p protection etc...).

Which text can be used? "WARNING! You are going to alter parts of the OS!

(So this message is valid for the basic, the amsdos and the futureos roms).

Better ideas???

Can somebody translate this to French, Spanish, Nederlands?
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:16, 23 June 11
OMG! Now, in this case I suggest to relax and enjoy the weekend with family and friends.
That is always the best option  ;) or desing more of your "hardware magic" for the CPC  ;D (Totally offtopic: But Bryce, would be too complicated to attach a pair of paddles or spinners to our CPCs???)
Well... I think about a warning message, that just appears, but it doesn't stop you. I mean, there are good reasons to change the BASIC ROM f.e. you can replace "Ready" by "Hello" and I know a lot of small patches that make sense too (f.e. get rid of the ,p protection etc...).
Totally of course  :)

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:16, 23 June 11Which text can be used? "WARNING! You are going to alter parts of the OS!
(So this message is valid for the basic, the amsdos and the futureos roms).
Better ideas???
Well, i would add "and the CPC could not restart", to explain the consequences of that change :P

Can somebody translate this to French, Spanish, Nederlands?
Spanish: ¡Cuidado! ¡Usted va a alterar partes del S.O.!
And with the sentence that i added: ¡Cuidado! ¡Usted va a alterar partes del S.O. y el CPC podría no reiniciarse!

TFM

Thanks for the Spanish Translation, now we need it in French and Nederlands. Here is what I have now, if you have any "update", please just post it here.

ENG: "WARNING! You are going to alter parts of the OS! The CPC may not restart"

SPA: "¡Cuidado! ¡Usted va a alterar partes del S.O. y el CPC podría no reiniciarse!"

GER: "Achtung! Sie manipulieren das OS! Dies behindert u. U. den Neustart des CPC."

TFM of FutureSoft

archcosmo

Hi Bryce

quick question about the MegaFlash - it's in the same vein as recent questions for rpalmer's IDE8255 interface :) - but does your preferred design include a through connector too? perhaps an extension to the PCB with a card edge connector similar to the UK 6128 , or solder point for Centronics port for Schneider owners? Im interested in using this alongside the IDE8255, so some advice would be most welcome

thanks

Quote from: Bryce on 21:14, 21 June 11
I suppose I should probably give a hardware update too while I'm here. The schematics are finished and I have several possible layouts done. I'm working on the final layout, which I will build probably by the end of the month and use for the final software tests. As soon as these are finished I will release more info and a few pictures.

Unfortunately I have very little time at the moment, so progress is much slower than I would like it to be.

Bryce.

McKlain

Quote from: SyX on 21:24, 23 June 11
That is always the best option  ;) or desing more of your "hardware magic" for the CPC  ;D (Totally offtopic: But Bryce, would be too complicated to attach a pair of paddles or spinners to our CPCs???)Totally of course  :)
Well, i would add "and the CPC could not restart", to explain the consequences of that change :P

Spanish: ¡Cuidado! ¡Usted va a alterar partes del S.O.!
And with the sentence that i added: ¡Cuidado! ¡Usted va a alterar partes del S.O. y el CPC podría no reiniciarse!

¿Usted?  :laugh:

Bryce

@archcosmo (or anyone else who's interested): When I design circuits that connect to the expansion port, I usually just put a 50way header on the PCB, that way you can swap between edge and Centronics connectors if you happen to own both a 464 and a 6128/plus (as I do). To make a thru-connection you can extend the flat cable and add a second header connector, or a socket. The advantage of this method is that one layout can be used on all types of CPC.

That probably didn't make any sense to anyone. So have a look at the picture of the MegaROMs 50way header here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/5/53/MegaROM.png

And the two possible connections (Edge and Centronics) here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/8/8a/MegaROM_Cables.png

Did that make sense?

Bryce.

SyX

After talk with McKlain ;)

TFM, would you mind to change the spanish translation to the more friendly:
¡Cuidado! ¡Vas a alterar partes del S.O.! 

Bryce

I also think a change is needed to the warning in general. It's too uninformative. I think it would make more sense to inform the user of what needs to be done, something like: "You are about to delete the external Basic/AmsDOS. The MegaFlash Basic/DOS jumper needs to be switched back to 'internal' and the CPC restarted for further operation". I know it's a lot, but at least the user isn't left thinking: WTF...And then?

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 15:33, 27 June 11
I also think a change is needed to the warning in general. It's too uninformative. I think it would make more sense to inform the user of what needs to be done, something like: "You are about to delete the external Basic/AmsDOS. The MegaFlash Basic/DOS jumper needs to be switched back to 'internal' and the CPC restarted for further operation". I know it's a lot, but at least the user isn't left thinking: WTF...And then?

Or a two stage approach:

1) This will delete the external OS. Are you sure?

Then once deleted:

2) External OS deleted. Change MegaFlash jumper to Internal OS.

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 15:26, 27 June 11
After talk with McKlain ;)

TFM, would you mind to change the spanish translation to the more friendly:
¡Cuidado! ¡Vas a alterar partes del S.O.!

Ok, here the new texts, please help me with the second Spanish sentence. And maybe somebody can translate it to French / Dutch?

Here what we have:

ENG: "WARNING! You are going to alter parts of the OS! The CPC may not restart."
        "Read the documentation for more information. Press ESC to end action."

SPA: "¡Cuidado! ¡Vas a alterar partes del S.O. y el CPC podría no reiniciarse!

DEU: "Achtung! Sie manipulieren das OS! Dies behindert u. U. den Neustart des CPC."
        "Weitere Informationen sind im Handbuch enthalten. ESC um abzubrechen."

Any ideas are welcome :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 15:33, 27 June 11

Bryce.

That can be misleading, if you just "update" your Basic or replace ROM 7 with ParaDOS or XD-DOS for example. Maybe it's better to mention that all in more datail in the handbook of the software.

I have to make some RTFM T-Shirts  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft