News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Megaflash - which ROMs?

Started by Gryzor, 08:44, 07 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

If they have the hardware, don't they already have the ROMs too? Or have I completely misunderstood your comment (most likely).

Bryce.

Gryzor

Is it my idea, or were there packages where the ROM was separate from the actual hardware expansion?

Bryce

Ah, now I understand. Some companies such as DKtronics had two versions of their expansions: The ROM version where the ROM was built into the device and a low-cost version where the software was on Disk. MegaFlash owners of the disk version will now have the luxury of using the ROM with their hardware, but I don't know how many that really is. I own a DK speech synth and lightpen in ROM version, both of which I bought from my pocket money back in the 80's, so the ROM version mustn't have been that much more expensive (otherwise I would have bought the disk version).

Bryce.

Gryzor

I also seem to remember ads, especially in the later years, about such software being sold on actual EPROM chips, so you had to have a ROM board too - that added to the cost significantly. And I don't think the difference in price was small to begin with - I seem to remember (bis) thinking how overpriced those pieces of silicon were...

steve

Also, hardware is now being sold on ebay without software, as an example, I have just bought an amstrad speech synthesiser (I think that is what it is) on it's own, no software, no speakers, no manual or anything other than the hardware unit.

Gryzor

Quote from: steve on 20:45, 11 September 11
Also, hardware is now being sold on ebay without software, as an example, I have just bought an amstrad speech synthesiser (I think that is what it is) on it's own, no software, no speakers, no manual or anything other than the hardware unit.

Yes, that was my original thought...

Bryce

@steve: Did you buy the one that was on co.uk where the seller said he didn't know what it was? If so, congrats, it is a DK speech synth. The speakers can be any 8ohm passive mini speakers (with seperate mono jacks). Open it and check that the SPO256 is definitely there. If it has a ROM inside, you already have the software, if it's the ROMless version you'll need to install the ROM on a ROMBoard for it to work. It works from disc too, but it's very annoying having to install the software every time you want to use it and it uses up lots of the RAM too.

Bryce.

steve

Yes, that one :D , I don't have the space to do anything with it yet, it has simply joined the pile of hardware that I have, I would like to set it all up but real life means I have more urgent things to do. :)

robcfg

By the way, I uploaded some new roms:

KDS Comms Pack 5 v4.2 and 5.0
Cage v1.21 Comms ROM for the KDS serial interface
Nirvana 2.1+

They are all in their rightful places, and I update the ROM table page.

Edit: Level Up! 6128+  8)  Hail to the king, baby!

genesis8

How can you spot the difference between the ROM DK speech synth and the ROMless one ?

I have one myself.

Bryce

Well you could open it and look whether there's a ROM inside. In the ROMless version there is only one large IC - The SPO256, in the ROM version there are two large ICs. Or easier, connect it to the CPC, type |speak and hit enter. If it starts waffling on about "DK'tronics speech synthesiser" then there's a ROM inside, if you just get an unknown command error, then it's the disk version.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: robcfg on 22:23, 18 September 11

Edit: Level Up! 6128+  8)  Hail to the king, baby!

Hell yeah! Shall I give you my Paypal address now? :D

robcfg

Well, it's been almost 5 years here, and I know that 100 posts/year is not too much  ;D  But, I think I've added a lot of stuff to the wiki, hehe!

I met Deepfb and CPCManiaco (and many more nice and interesting people) because of these forum, so I'm quite happy!  8)

Bryce

Sorry to disturb your completely off-topic discussion :D , I'd just like to mention here, that norecesses Quickcmd (v2.2) now supports the MegaFlash. I know it has been mentioned in other threads, but maybe some people missed it. Three new commands allow you to list the ROMs, write a ROM or Delete a ROM directly from the command prompt. So now it really should be an essential on your MegaFlash (if it wasn't already there).

Bryce.

Gryzor

@Rob: even though you may not post much (and 500 posts is not exactly a low number) it doesn't mean a thing; everyone may contribute whatever he will, be it a new game or a joke to make our day...

@Bryce: that's the stuff, I can finally start using it as a standard ROM :)