News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MF2 Clone new color !!! (not kidding, but new order)

Started by talrek, 16:54, 13 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:49, 28 October 15
Some of us never stopped using our CPC's!

Yes, me for example. It's my computer of choice and I can do everything with it I want. Crap as the PC still can't!  :laugh: :P 8) ;) :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

After watching Chinny's video, I'd just like to ask a quick question. The saying went back in the day that simply having a Multiface installed wasn't enough to run software you'd copied to disk from tape using an MF, you had to have the specific MF used in order to do it. Is this actually true, or would one of these cloned Multifaces let me run software I copied to disk years ago?

The reason I ask is that my original Multiface 2 has sadly done a Houdini on me during one of my house moves back at university, and I've been without it ever since but I still have disks full of software I copied from tape from back in the day, and it would be nice to be able to use them again.

fgbrain

This is really tempting!!

I have a 6128 plus as well.. Count me in Talrek!!

Although I swear I didnt use the previous model yet because my old gen 6128 is packed.

Looks as a great work as always..
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

TFM

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 17:31, 29 October 15
After watching Chinny's video, I'd just like to ask a quick question. The saying went back in the day that simply having a Multiface installed wasn't enough to run software you'd copied to disk from tape using an MF, you had to have the specific MF used in order to do it. Is this actually true, or would one of these cloned Multifaces let me run software I copied to disk years ago?

The reason I ask is that my original Multiface 2 has sadly done a Houdini on me during one of my house moves back at university, and I've been without it ever since but I still have disks full of software I copied from tape from back in the day, and it would be nice to be able to use them again.

IIRC the MF2 does not contain any kind of serial number or similar. So it doesn't matter which one you're using. However today you get lots of software from f.e. CPC Power or FTP. Using an MF2 today is more like having fun with hacking / cracking. But that's only my Drei Pfennige.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TFM on 18:25, 29 October 15

IIRC the MF2 does not contain any kind of serial number or similar. So it doesn't matter which one you're using. However today you get lots of software from f.e. CPC Power or FTP. Using an MF2 today is more like having fun with hacking / cracking. But that's only my Drei Pfennige.  :)

I always thought the serial number thing was something they said just to throw the anti piracy people off the scent. Never saw any evidence they had serialised the ROMS. Indeed one suspects that would have been expensive to do.

Yes games are available ready cracked these days but the Multifaces big advantage is being able to freeze and save games on a real machine. You can create a save state and go back to a game later. The only other way to do that is to use an emulator (yuck!).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

You're right about that. Now let me ask you a question: Is there an emulator which can use MF2 'snapshots' or an emulator producing 'snapshots' being usable for a real MF2? I honestly don't know. But if not @Devilmarkus can you put it in JavaCPC (or is it there alrady?  :-X ).  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

I didn't see any evidence of checking serial numbers in the loader that the multiface writes to the disc.

You do need a multiface to run it because it activates the multiface rom and calls into it. The only thing I can think of is that because the loader calls into the multiface rom, then if the multiface rom has changed and code has been moved about then the loader wouldn't work with a different rom.

So maybe this is where the rumour came from? I am aware of more than 1 rom revision, I don't know what difference that actually makes to the loader program.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Ah, so that may indicate in incompatibility program between CPC and Plus.
TFM of FutureSoft

talrek

Quote from: TFM on 19:16, 29 October 15
Ah, so that may indicate in incompatibility program between CPC and Plus.
Very interesting indeed. Tomorrow i will make a snapshot on a CPC and then try to load it from a CPC+ with the same MF2 but with of course a different rom version.  ;D

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:00, 28 October 15
Of course if anyone wants to 3D print me a box for my MF2 clone with Romantic Robot written on it....  :D
Do you mean it would be interesting to have a real clone ? i mean with a pass through, and the same components ?

if you send me the files, i can try to load it with the MF2 clone, just to confirm it work

chinnyhill10

Quote from: talrek on 20:16, 29 October 15
Do you mean it would be interesting to have a real clone ? i mean with a pass through, and the same components ?

No, just a box to put the unit in so it is not open to dust etc.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dodogildo

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:48, 29 October 15

No, just a box to put the unit in so it is not open to dust etc.
I would also suggest the same [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

TFM

Well, that's the hardest part about electronics... to find the right box. They are expensive btw!
TFM of FutureSoft

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TFM on 21:23, 29 October 15
Well, that's the hardest part about electronics... to find the right box. They are expensive btw!

A Raspberry Pi box is the right size. It even has holes to access the buttons just not in the right place.

Wonder if anyone sells Pi cases with no holes in?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

pelrun

That was a white lie Amstrad Action told to avoid being seen as promoting a piracy tool. An image made on a 6128 will run on any 6128 with a multiface connected, likewise with the other CPC models.

Edit: you won't have any luck trying to use images on a different model, because the image also contains the contents of the firmware jump block, which is rom-specific. Replacing a 464's firmware jump block with one from a 6128 would only cause crashes. Also, the multiface doesn't capture or understand the Plus ASIC registers, so it's not possible to save/restore anything that modifies those.

talrek

Quote from: pelrun on 04:09, 30 October 15

Edit: you won't have any luck trying to use images on a different model, because the image also contains the contents of the firmware jump block, which is rom-specific. Replacing a 464's firmware jump block with one from a 6128 would only cause crashes. Also, the multiface doesn't capture or understand the Plus ASIC registers, so it's not possible to save/restore anything that modifies those.

Thank you  :) you saved my day  :D

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: pelrun on 04:09, 30 October 15

Aha! Thank you. It sounds like if I picked up one of these new MFs, everything will work just fine. Sweet. :)

talrek

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 12:30, 30 October 15

Aha! Thank you. It sounds like if I picked up one of these new MFs, everything will work just fine. Sweet. :)

Just sent you a PM

talrek

Hi,
just to let you know i made a new batch and a few pieces are still available (4 pieces)
They are not Blue, but Green ones, but always the same : Both CPC and CPC+ version with a switch.

talrek

Hi Everyone,
just a little word to say i made a new batch and i have two interface left, people didn't took them.
If someone is interested, it is the usual price 33€

:D