News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Modding an EME-232 drive to work in a 6128

Started by balford, 23:44, 21 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

balford

Hi all,

I've acquired an EME-232 drive for very little money and was wondering if it's possible to mod it to work as a replacement drive for the 6128?

Drive pinouts look the same, and I'm aware of the single/double side/density differences between it and the EME-156. However connecting it up doesn't light up the LED and I get 'drive not ready' errors. I've tried swapping JP1 and JP6 which swap the DS0/DS1 signals according to the schematic with no change.

Any assistance would be appreciated :)

B

CraigsBar

In the past I had a pcw 3inch 80 track Double Sided drive in both my cpc 6128 and FD1. They are pin compatible and a straight swap.

Although to use normal cpc type discs you need to set double stepping - the easiest way I found to do this was parados .
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

cryogen

Buenos días y perdón por reflotar el hilo , yo la tengo montada en un cpc464..... y siempre me da el error de "read failed"..... y no se por donde seguir.....

Saludos

GUNHED

The 80 track drives is usually used as B-Drive (DS1) on PCW computers.

So try to connect it as B-drive to the CPC. Then use X-DDOS or Parados/Varados to be able to use a 0,7 MB format on drive B.

Also it's a n advantage to use the CF2DD discs (like it was thought by the producer). Not all CF2D discs will work, but some may do.

You can put the EME-232 in the FD1 case, it should work instantly. No guarante though. 
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

cryogen

Después de andar regulando/calibrando la unidad he logrado algún "CAT" , pero no logro ejecutar ningún juego.....

estoy utilizando un cpc464...... y la unidad FD1 , por lo que siempre es A.

Como podría ponerlo en B?

ZbyniuR

I suspect this 40-track drive from CPC has some jumper soldered, and if you find it and break it, it would turn into fully 80-track drive. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Richard_Lloyd

Quote from: cryogen on 23:21, 10 April 23Después de andar regulando/calibrando la unidad he logrado algún "CAT" , pero no logro ejecutar ningún juego.....
estoy utilizando un cpc464...... y la unidad FD1 , por lo que siempre es A.
Como podría ponerlo en B?
@cryogen 
Are you using the standard DDI-1 interface. The standard ribbon cable has two connectors. One makes it drive A and the other makes it drive B.
If not the DDI-1, which interface are you using?
¿Está utilizando la interfaz estándar DDI-1? El cable plano estándar tiene dos conectores. Uno lo hace manejar A y el otro lo hace manejar B.
Si no es el DDI-1, ¿qué interfaz está utilizando?
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

cryogen

Si , efectivamente lo estoy utilizando con la interfaz DD1...... pero..... ese es el motivo de que no lea ningún disco?

cryogen

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 02:15, 11 April 23I suspect this 40-track drive from CPC has some jumper soldered, and if you find it and break it, it would turn into fully 80-track drive. :)
Jajajaj No entiendo..    

cryogen

Acabo de probar a poner la en "B" con la dd1 y no se puede..... da error..