News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI3 dsk compatibility?

Started by kingtreelo, 13:13, 26 October 19

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtreelo

Hi all,
I have spoken to Poitr via email, and know he is a member on here, but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issue i am having at the moment.
I own a fully functioning CPC464, and recently purchased a DDI3, upon its arrival i saw a lot of conflicting information about whether the new firmware for the DDI would accept dsk files or not, and it appears it does, so i proceeded to load a bunch of my favourite games onto a USB drive in dsk format.
Out of all the games i loaded, more than half froze the DDI3(not even when i tried to load them, just when the DDI3 tried to read the file), this effectivly meant the DDI3 froze until had removed the game from the USB stick that it didnt like.
I have now tried 3 different USB drives, with a further on the way today, but i am at a complete loss, Poitr did let me know what switch settings to use, and also advised me to clean the connectors which has been done, but the same issue still persists.
I have even tried different sources for the different games, but with the same problem.
Anyone else come across this, or has any solutions that may help/work?
Apologies if this is the wong forum, please feel free to move it.

TotO

Hello,

I have a DDI3 and I know the used firmware is official from here: https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html
I'm only using HFE files with it and all works fine. So may be you can first test with that?
Because DSK may be require a firmware update... I don't know exactly, I will test too.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

llopis

I have a DDI3 and I have no problems with DSK files. I updated it to the latest FlashFloppy firmware when I got it some months ago.

If you've never used these kind of drive emulators before, be aware that a lot of DSK images made from original disks will have copy protections and won't run properly, so maybe that's what you're seeing. I would recommend you download cracked copies in DSK format and see if you have more luck with those. If not, then there's something else going on.

robcfg

Can you tell us which firmware version does your unit have?

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: TotO on 13:36, 26 October 19
Hello,

I have a DDI3 and I know the used firmware is official from here: https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html
I'm only using HFE files with it and all works fine. So may be you can first test with that?
Because DSK may be require a firmware update... I don't know exactly, I will test too.
Not an HxC issue. I don't think that kingtreelo have the HxC firmware in his DDI3.  ;)

kingtreelo

Quote from: robcfg on 15:50, 26 October 19
Can you tell us which firmware version does your unit have?

How do i find out?

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: kingtreelo on 17:11, 26 October 19

How do i find out?
Post a picture of the LCD, we will tell you.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: kingtreelo on 19:37, 26 October 19
Definitively not an HxC firmware. HxC firmwares use a four numbers format (current version : v3.4.9.4a). Unless you switch back to HxC, i am out ! :) 

kingtreelo

Hi all,
Just thought i'd update this, so on my 4th USB stick, all games are now finally working.
I think it would be a good idea to get a compatibility list of USB drives for this, as i had tried a different version of the same manufacturer(Sandisk).