News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MultiFace II clone

Started by talrek, 20:36, 11 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

So does this mean that I have to exchange a chip on my MF II clone?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

talrek

No,
in fact the problem is the supplier sent me 470Kohms instead of 470Ohms SMDs.
It is written so little on the SMD i didn't saw the difference between 4700 and 4703....

First batch has no problem ;-)

TFM

Damn supplier!!! I'm sorry to hear that this makes struggles for you. Thumbs up for your great work.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

skywalky

I want to thank Talrek for your help. Thanks to you I have the MX4 Transtape now. And TotO for the MX4 Template. I make a little batch on a spanish forum. Waiting now for the Multiface II.

Comparing sizes  ;D

talrek

That's great you did an amazing job !!!

BTW i received the correct parts, so i started to ship multiface II Yesterday ;-)

talrek

Today is the day !!!!!!!
I sent the last MF2 clone  8) 8)

No more to send.
I have some more in stock, and then it will be totally over :-)

chinnyhill10

If you don't buy one of the remaining ones, don't start moaning in 6 months time when you are bidding twice the price for a 30 year old untested Multiface 2 on Ebay!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Yay! I guess I'll have mine in a couple of weeks, tops :)

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:24, 17 June 15
If you don't buy one of the remaining ones, don't start moaning in 6 months time when you are bidding twice the price for a 30 year old untested Multiface 2 on Ebay!

Only twice the price?? I intend putting my original on ebay and getting at least 10 times the price from some rich Spanish collector. (Or if someone here offers me a reasonable price it's gone too :D )

Bryce.

TotO

It is common to find it in the 35€/70€ range. (I bought mine for less, 2 years ago)
By the way, the MX4 version is new, so probably more reliable.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

The only thing I've ever seen to be unreliable on real Multifaces were the crap buttons which tend to fall apart, the rest should last forever.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 12:42, 17 June 15
It is common to find it in the 35€/70€ range. (I bought mine for less, 2 years ago)
By the way, the MX4 version is new, so probably more reliable.

Yeah, a 30 years old EPROM is such a thing, on a bad day and with a bad moon rising...  :o
TFM of FutureSoft

dxs

Not to mention that the GAL used in the Multiface repro (or the PAL in the original design) are specified for 20 years data retention. After that, one day, they will be gone.

Bryce

I wouldn't pay any attention to those specs. They are absolute minimum lifespans to cover their ass. In reality they will most likely still be ok after 50 years.

Bryce.

dxs

Yeah well we'll see ;)
Like those game cratridge from the NES era, most of them still have their battery powered memory still working today (25-30 years after or so).

Bryce

I have one of the very first flash chips that came out. I got it around 1988/9 and recorded some data on it. I can still read the data today and it's never been re-written.

Bryce.

Correction: Just found it and the date stamp is 1991. But I can still read it :)

TFM

Flash is not EPROM!  ;) [nb]Suppliers give 10 year guarantee for holding data
EPROM-Speicher | elektro-lexikon.de[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

mrchip

Should get mine soon then, can't wait woohoo

Apollo

Quote from: mrchip on 05:02, 18 June 15
Should get mine soon then, can't wait woohoo

Same here  ;D
CPC - My beloved first computer!

skywalky

Multiface II is coming!  ;D

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 22:54, 17 June 15
Flash is not EPROM!  ;)

Correct. EPROMs hold their data much longer than flash. I have EPROMs from the 70's that still work fine. Eitherway, he was talking about PALs which are neither flash nor EPROM. The point I was making is that manufacturers state the minimum life expectancy so if they say 20 years, the part could still easily work fine for 50 years or more.

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

Received mine a few days ago, works fine :)

TFM

Ok Bryce. I know you have to be right. Shall it be.  8)  Back to topic now... it's good to have a *NEW* MF-II. And it looks great anyway!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

mrchip

Arrived this morning and works perfectly   ;D a really big thank you to Talrek for doing such an awesome job.   :) :) :)             

dxs

Hi there,
Yes indeed Talrek did a great job!

I found today that the MFII doesn't work with the Firmware 3.15, anyone else got the same result? I assume the original MFII would do the same, I didn't dig it out to check however.