News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MultiFace II clone

Started by talrek, 20:36, 11 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Mine works fine with fw 3.15. So long as I use the correct ROM for either plus amsdos or old gen amsdos/parados
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

dxs

Ok I'll look into it, strange because it works perfectly with the X-Mem and internal CPC firmware (or alone on the expansion bus), but crashes the cpc as soon as the button is pused when FW3.15 is enabled.

CraigsBar

Hmm, on a mother4x? How is it powered?

dxs

I tried both external PSU and no external PSU, same result. Anyway this is just the X-Mem and MFII. Same result on my 6128+: MFII works fine except when FW3.15 is enabled. Symptoms are: when the MF2 button is pressed, CPC freezes (nothing else happens).
I don't see it being PSU related. If I boot on the FW3.15, then (while CPC is running) switch the X-Mem switch to Internal Firmware, then the Mf2 works fine. So I thinks it crashes when it tries to access the 3.15 firmware on the X-Mem...

The MX4 can be ruled out also, as I tried with an edge connector ---> double 50 pin female cable and the result is the same.

Btw I have 0E firmware in the MFII, what is yours? (pop up the Mf2 menu, then press f0 it should display checksum).

CraigsBar

If you have a plus, have you tried with a FW 3.15 cartridge?

I no longer use the XMEM on my plus. I found it behaved wierdly and be VERY temperamental to power supplies.

I did get it stable using a PC Power supply for everything, the Mother4x, Plus, and external floppy drive / hxc.

However since I find the Symbiface II just works with any powersupply and offers more functionality (RTC and PS/2 mouse) then I have swapped back.

I still have the Mother4x attached, and have the MF2 remake, Playcity and MiniBooster in it.

The 464Plus, Symbiface II and Mother4x are all powered from the PCPower supply.
The HxC / and external floppy drive are both powered from the Monitor supply.

So far not a single crash lockup or failled boot. I am happy as larry LOL

I no longer have lower rom support on the expansion, but as I have a c4cpc I can use FW 3.15 as a CPR in that.

ROMAN 1.0 is a symbiface II rom manager tool and with the FW 3.15 expansion rom in slot 1 of the Symbiface II the Silicon Disc etc all work as they did with the xmem.

Craig

dxs

Good point, I'll try with the fw3.15 CPR and report back.

gerald

XMEM in boot mode and multiface II replace the internal lower ROM. Using both at the same time = ROM clash.
It is the same issue as replacing the internal AMSDOS with an external one.

CraigsBar

That would explain it then.... Use a fw 3.15 cart instead and switch the xmem lower ROM off.

dxs

Hi Gerald, Hi CraigsBar,
Actually I was thinking about something along those lines, but not having looked into it deeper I didn't know if there was a local disable line on the X-Mem regarding the Lower ROM.
So everything should be working fine with the cart then.

CraigsBar

Quote from: dxs on 11:44, 22 June 15
Hi Gerald, Hi CraigsBar,
Actually I was thinking about something along those lines, but not having looked into it deeper I didn't know if there was a local disable line on the X-Mem regarding the Lower ROM.
So everything should be working fine with the cart then.
Mine is ;)

jrodriguezv

Received mine. Didn't have time to test it yet.

Phantomz

I got mine today too.

Thanks @talrek   :D

remax

Received mine 3 days ago. Tested it today. Works like a charm (of course i have experienced the clash with xmem). Thanks !

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:10, 22 June 15
I got mine today too.

Thanks @talrek   :D

How did you do the Dual Version mod. Any chance of that being made available as I need that too.

Craig

Phantomz

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:21, 22 June 15

How did you do the Dual Version mod. Any chance of that being made available as I need that too.

Craig

I asked talrek for both roms when I purchased the Multiface Clone as I knew that I would need both versions, he asked me if I would like a single rom with a switch, so I said yes.

I paid a bit extra and purchased it like this, forward thinking  ;)

CraigsBar

Shit! And he knew I would be ROM swapping :( and chance of a retrofit @talrek?

talrek

Yes if y ou ask me so gently. Problem was I had a few switches and eproms, so I couldn't build a lot of dual eproms.
Since, I bought some, so I can make dual if you want.

Envoyé de mon HTC One en utilisant Tapatalk

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 07:18, 23 June 15
Yes if y ou ask me so gently. Problem was I had a few switches and eproms, so I couldn't build a lot of dual eproms.
Since, I bought some, so I can make dual if you want.

Perfect. How much for the change. Pm me your address and I post it back :)

00WReX

Hi talrek, the multiface arrived safely today.
It survived the trip all the way to Australia no problem  :D

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

wmsteele

My unit arrived a few weeks back (I was on holiday), tested last night and it works perfectly  :D

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 07:48, 23 June 15
Perfect. How much for the change. Pm me your address and I post it back :)
Thanks to @talrek I now have a Modified MF II with a toggle switch to flick between CPC Classic/ParaDOS and Amstrad Plus versions of the Eprom.

I made a little adaptor out of a spare Eprom socket I had lying around. So the mod is completely reversible (Remove the Adaptor and reinsert the original Eprom.

The only change I needed to make was a little trimming of the Socket on the PCB to make way for the switch underneath the new Socket adaptor and the new Dual Eprom. See the photos below if this is not clear.

talrek

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:45, 25 June 15
Thanks to @talrek I now have a Modified MF II with a toggle switch to flick between CPC Classic/ParaDOS and Amstrad Plus versions of the Eprom.

I made a little adaptor out of a spare Eprom socket I had lying around. So the mod is completely reversible (Remove the Adaptor and reinsert the original Eprom.

The only change I needed to make was a little trimming of the Socket on the PCB to make way for the switch underneath the new Socket adaptor and the new Dual Eprom. See the photos below if this is not clear.
Your modification is very well done. Congratulations you've done a great job, very clean.[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 21:50, 25 June 15
Your modification is very well done. Congratulations you've done a great job, very clean.

I'm glad you approve :) many thanks for the Eprom and wiring details. That will save me a lot of rom swapping and having to look after those delicate pins.

TFM

Hey Guys'n'Gals,

By accident I found the Source Code of the Multiface II. So enjoy the weekend and have a look on it. It's on the attached DSK[nb]Oh shit! I can't attach DSKs!!![/nb]. Ok, all again... its on the attached ZIPed DSK file.

The DSK is in Vortex Format, so you can read it with any 80 Track DS drive and a good DOS like X-DDOS, VaraDOS or VDOS.

On the DSK you will find a lot of stuff which is not in public yet, so have fun!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

talrek

Hi Everybody, I have a problem my last eproms are faulty, so no more dual eproms  :'( :'(
Does anyone have some to sell to me ? it is 27c128, it would be very much appreciated ;-)

Just PM me !!!  :D

btw i'm thinking about making a multiface II clone V1.1 with a switch on the card , to select either CPC or CPC+ version. I don't know why i didn't do that in first !!!