News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MultiFace II clone

Started by talrek, 20:36, 11 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

talrek

Hi everybody,
i must be crazy but i would like to build a MF2 clone since we now have all we need to make it...

First, i thought about a compatible MX4 format board. I tried, but i must admit, there is a lot of components, and 5x8 cm is small for a MF2
I'll try to minimize the size by using SMD components (except for Gals), but i not guarantee it will be the size of a XMEM or XMASS

First, i'm going to make the pcb and i'll show the 3d result ;-)

price will be 30 euros without cable, add 5 euros for either a edge connector or a centronics one

[EDIT] 04/04/2015
1st pics !!!!!!!

[attach=2][attach=3][attach=4][attach=5][attach=6]

dxs

Hi Talrek,
I'm in for one ;-)

Lattice GAL16V8B IC 10pcs | eBay
Not the cheapest but the seller seems ok, 37.5e for 60 units to build 20 MF2 clones.

talrek

Thank you. I bought some IC's from them , they are OK.

Munchausen

Already noted in the other thread, but I'm interested!

I'm surprised it's such a squeeze as I figured the original MF2 PCB is fairly close to MX4 size already... but I will leave that to the expert!

Bryce

I've an original MF2 here. It's only a little bit bigger than an MX4 format and it has to have that big edge connector in the middle. It should easily fit on an MX4 format.

Bryce.

talrek

Without the edge connector, the size is 9,6x6,3 cm.
The mx4 format is 8x5.
There is a difference of 20,5cm^2
Hard to believe but it's true

So I must find a way to find space.... But even with smd it's hard

Bryce

If you go SMD you can put parts on both sides of the board and save major amounts of space.

Bryce.

talrek

Yes you're right, i'll try that.

talrek

Ok it fits on a MX4 format
great !!!

TFM

I would take one - even if the MF2 is not powerful enough to deal with FutureOS.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

talrek

Quote from: Bryce on 23:13, 11 February 15
I've an original MF2 here. It's only a little bit bigger than an MX4 format and it has to have that big edge connector in the middle. It should easily fit on an MX4 format.

Bryce.

Since you own an original MF2, could you please tell me the resistor network's value ?  :D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: talrek on 20:36, 11 February 15
Hi everybody,
i must be crazy but i would like to build a MF2 clone since we now have all we need to make it...

First, i thought about a compatible MX4 format board. I tried, but i must admit, there is a lot of components, and 5x8 cm is small for a MF2
I'll try to minimize the size by using SMD components (except for Gals), but i not guarantee it will be the size of a XMEM or XMASS

First, i'm going to make the pcb and i'll show the 3d result ;-)

For the price i must see, but it will be more than 24 euros, there is at least three GAL16V8...

A Multiface? The holy grail!

And if you get it working for the CPC I'm sure Spectrum owners would also be interested. They change hands for a fortune on Ebay so you can be sure of a good demand!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

pelrun

I'd have implemented it all in a CPLD instead, then it's just one chip instead of 6. :) Well done getting it all to fit, anyway!

I'd buy one but my MotherX4 is already full...

CraigsBar

Quote from: pelrun on 02:16, 13 February 15
I'd have implemented it all in a CPLD instead, then it's just one chip instead of 6. :) Well done getting it all to fit, anyway!

Buy another MotherX4 then and add it to the passthrough, That was my plan as mine is also full and I have expressed interest in this card and I am kinda sense a RTC may not be that far away either LOL 
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

pelrun

I'm waiting on some PCBs to get here from China, then I'll have an FPGA wired to the expansion bus. May as well just implement an MF2 myself at that point :)

(damn, I wish I put a couple of buttons on that board now, there was plenty of space for them...)

talrek

Quote from: pelrun on 02:16, 13 February 15

Well, I chose to stay as close as possible to the original design. Due to the mx4 size I had to modify the placement and use smd, it is the only compromise I'm ready to do to keep original retro spirit. [emoji1]
Though a cpld is a very good idea to gain a lot of space.

talrek

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:41, 13 February 15

A Multiface? The holy grail!

And if you get it working for the CPC I'm sure Spectrum owners would also be interested. They change hands for a fortune on Ebay so you can be sure of a good demand!
Well I can see after. I'd like to work on spectrum. But first I will have to find one [emoji1] [emoji2]

Bryce

Quote from: talrek on 21:41, 12 February 15
Since you own an original MF2, could you please tell me the resistor network's value ?  :D

No problem. I'll check at the weekend. I also have a Spectrum MF, so I can check stuff on that too if needed.

Bryce.

P.s. I don't actually need either of them, so if anyone really wants to own an original then make a reasonable offer.

talrek

Ok so here is the details :

i'm going to make 10 pieces first. Since it is the first batch i need to be sure it works well, before to invest more...
Second batch (don't know how many) just after.

For the moment i've counted 8 reservations.

2 left.

Price will be 30 euros in MX4 format.
If you want a cable add 5 euros either edge connector or centronics.

I will edit the first post.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: talrek on 09:50, 13 February 15
Well I can see after. I'd like to work on spectrum. But first I will have to find one

IIRC each model of Speccy required a different Multiface but perhaps it would be possible to design an all in one solution.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:41, 13 February 15

IIRC each model of Speccy required a different Multiface but perhaps it would be possible to design an all in one solution.

Yes, I think there were a few versions. The one I have is for the +2/+3 as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 14:20, 13 February 15
Yes, I think there were a few versions. The one I have is for the +2/+3 as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

I had a Multiface 3. And like a fool I threw it away.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

freaktmp

Financially I'm set for life, provided I die next week.

talrek

Ok i think the list is complete.
I'm going to order all the components and pcb this week end.