News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Multiple CRTC Screens possible or not? and practical or not?

Started by zhulien, 13:20, 20 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

Hi Everyone,

I know that we have the ability to change CRTC registers part way down the screen to eg: created split screen modes.

Can other CRTC registers also be changed so you effectively have 2 totally independent screens within a single CRTC?

For example, very tall but quarter sized width screens on the left and right?  If that is possible, can it be practical to be two sprites without a background on a non-plus machine with the smoothness of hardware sprites moving the 2 screens around independently?  eg: could you make Way of the Exploding Fist type game using two giant perfectly smooth moving screens?

Perhaps a horizon can be done via rasters to have the largest smooth sprite fighting game ever on CPC?

GUNHED

Quote from: zhulien on 13:20, 20 September 21
Can other CRTC registers also be changed so you effectively have 2 totally independent screens within a single CRTC?
Yes, that's what I do in 'Return of the Sisters' and 'Gerelakos'. Two 16 KB screens. Well, in my case the get together to one 32 KB overscan screen.

It's also possible to have space in between.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Targhan

For vertical screen splitting, you can check the venerable SandKoh introduction. However, don't ever try to think you can make a game from this technique... It's simply not practical.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

zhulien

Quote from: GUNHED on 23:07, 20 September 21
Yes, that's what I do in 'Return of the Sisters' and 'Gerelakos'.

Impressive!

zhulien

Quote from: Targhan on 08:10, 21 September 21
However, don't ever try to think you can make a game from this technique... It's simply not practical.

I was thinking it could be possible to start small, like Atari 2600 small, but with huge smooth sprites (actually movable screens).

Perhaps driving 2 squares around the screen trying to bump the other into the side of the screen? or just damaging them but not yet necessarily having the score or damage displayed while playing?  Each square controlled by a separate player.

I guess the game would be needed to be thought of it fit in with the technique, not the other way around.

Targhan

You may, but you can also use specific software technique for that (you can move huge blocks by simply... shifting the borders, not what is inside!).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime