News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MX4

Started by Fran123, 12:42, 25 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Fran123

Hello

Where can I get one?

Thank you.

asertus

I ordered long ago from @TotO  , maybe he still has some.

Animalgril987

Hi.
MX4 compatible backplanes can be bought from: cpcstore.co.uk/s/shop

I have one, and can recommend it. They also sell 512k RAM cards that plug into it ( I also have one of these).

You have to specify the connector type on the back of your CPC, ie edge type or Centronics type.

Hope this helps  :D

Alan.

TotO

Sure, I have never stopped to build my expansions.
Now, understand that I do it as hobby and not business.

Cheers,

TotO.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

xesrjb

Ask @Duke ...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

GUNHED

There are many slightly different versions. I got mine form Tot0! (Thanks for the great work btw!) And I like it because, it got plugs at both sides, not these dodgy pcb blade connectors.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: GUNHED on 00:20, 26 May 21I like it because, it got plugs at both sides, not these dodgy pcb blade connectors.  :)
Doing that is only to save time and money but the user got the problem to not have the edge connector at the good level to plug the expansions next. The good way is to have a pass through pins connector to allow to plug the edge adapter over, or any ribon cable to link boards, or connect edge or centronics cables.

Because some new games in development are using the ROM support to improve the quality, the 2020 version offer 3x MX4 connectors and 1x Edge slot to be able to plug the games cartridges. (as is was first designed in 2012 with the CTC-AY expansion)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

banana

I have one from Duke, it should be done any day now. If I buy the 512K expansion, can I plug it into his M4?

Animalgril987

No, Duke's M4 is a WiFi card ( with other capabilities too, and is awesome).
The MX4 is a backplane for plugging other boards into.

banana

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 14:50, 27 May 21
No, Duke's M4 is a WiFi card ( with other capabilities too, and is awesome).
The MX4 is a backplane for plugging other boards into.
Thanks, I got confused  :doh:

Animalgril987

Quote from: banana on 15:02, 27 May 21Thanks, I got confused 
No problem, they do have similar names :D

TotO

The MotherX4 is the board connected to the CPC expansion port. Next, the MX4 expansions are plugged on it.
MX4 is the form factor of those expansions connected to the MotherX4. (8x5cm with right-angled 50-pin connector)

Sure, M4 is a confusing name. It is an expansion using the Cortex-M4 circuit on it. ;D

Duke

Quote from: TotO on 16:57, 27 May 21
Sure, M4 is a confusing name. It is an expansion using the Cortex-M4 circuit on it. ;D
The MX4 should really been called the IDCx4 as MX4 connectors don't exist ;)

TotO

Quote from: Duke on 17:04, 27 May 21
The MX4 should really been called the IDCx4 as MX4 connectors don't exist ;)
MX4 was the name to remember the connectivity to the MotherX4 for users, because IDC is not only related to pin connectors but also to card edge slot, that is confusing for the CPC usage!  ;)

No problem up to the M4 release that added the confusion. Strange idea to give this name. ;D

Duke

Quote from: TotO on 17:09, 27 May 21
MX4 was the name to remember the connectivity to the MotherX4 for users, because is not only related to pin connectors but also to card edge slot, that is confusing for the CPC usage!  ;)

No problem up to the M4 was released and added the confusion. Strange idea to give this name. ;D
Ok, I knew I wasn't gonna win this one :) - Anyway all in all, there has been a lot less confusion on my end atleast, than anticipated  8)

TotO

Quote from: Duke on 17:12, 27 May 21
Ok, I knew I wasn't gonna win this one :) - Anyway all in all, there has been a lot less confusion on my end atleast, than anticipated  8)
Hehe. ;)
I take this topic to add the files provided at the time for those who also wanted to adopt this format! 8)

xesrjb

Quote from: xesrjb on 16:23, 25 May 21
Ask @Duke ...

xesrjb

Oh, Sorry, my mistake...

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."