News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My 464+ fixes and conversion

Started by ||C|-|E||, 23:44, 30 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Glad you like it guys! I am super screwed and sleepy today, but anyway, reasonably happy with the results  :)

So yes, I did the mod following Bryce´s article, that is very detailed and gives all the info you need. However, since I uploaded many pictures in the post, maybe we can make and extra section, just for the pics, as a future reference for the people that wants to do this as well  :) We can also include some little additional details, like the possibility of removing the filter, that is really annoying.

TFM

Great idea, some kind of 'conversion handbook'.  :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Phantomz

@ ||C|-|E||

Great works, look really good.  8)

I think I'd like to get one of these custom 464+ / 6128+ one day, I'll have to keep my eyes open incase one comes available for sale though.  ;D

Is there anyway to add a tape counter to the plus? looks like the only thing missing from the perfect Cart / Disc / Tape machine. 

CraigsBar

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 12:26, 09 June 16
Glad you like it!  :D Actually, making a hole is not difficult if you are patient with the file, hehe.
It's certainly neater than mine :( but hell, it's at the back so who sees it anyway ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

||C|-|E||

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:22, 12 June 16
It's certainly neater than mine :( but hell, it's at the back so who sees it anyway ;)

You can always go through it again and make it perfect  :)

About the counter, it would be nice and possible, but probably not so simple to build and fit inside. I would go for a digital one: it could read the number of spins, probably with an optic sensor, and just add one to the previous number. It should have a reset button and, in case it is needed, it should be able to count when you rewind and do fast forward.

CraigsBar

If you workout the tape counter let me know, I'd love one too.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 16:33, 12 June 16
You can always go through it again and make it perfect  :)

About the counter, it would be nice and possible, but probably not so simple to build and fit inside. I would go for a digital one: it could read the number of spins, probably with an optic sensor, and just add one to the previous number. It should have a reset button and, in case it is needed, it should be able to count when you rewind and do fast forward.

All possible, but most digital displays are relatively large and would require a lot of case space.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:49, 12 June 16
If you workout the tape counter let me know, I'd love one too.

Maybe it will be possible to work out something (maybe)  :) . We found some nice bubble leds that are very cool and small enough to integrate in the case:

Retro 4-digit LED Display (QDSP6064) - Pimoroni

But then, there is all the mechanical part, much more complicated  :)

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 16:18, 13 June 16
Maybe it will be possible to work out something (maybe)  :) . We found some nice bubble leds that are very cool and small enough to integrate in the case:

Just ordered 5 of these. Not particularly to make a tape counter, but because they are cool and I'm sure I'll use them for something :)

Bryce.

VincentGR

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 16:18, 13 June 16

This is cool!!!

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Bryce on 20:10, 13 June 16
Just ordered 5 of these. Not particularly to make a tape counter, but because they are cool and I'm sure I'll use them for something :)

Bryce.

I use them all the time... in my Commodore pocket calculator  :D

robcfg

Ok, these are seriously cool!

I wouldn't really know what to do with them but they look awesome 8)

||C|-|E||

This baby I repaired long ago uses something very similar  ;D

[attachimg=1]

Bryce

I have a few already from old calculators, but they are usually one single unit with 10 digits. That would be a looooong tape!

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

Or a very precise one! We could put decimal numbers! Something like 6 seems fitting.

Bryce

It was difficult enough back then on my tape of self-written BASIC programs, writing all the start times: "3DCircuit.bas = 148". I don't think something like "3DCircuit.bas = 148.6572184" would be very useful. :D

Bryce.

TFM

Ok, nice to have a counter. But... do people really use tapes in these days?  :o
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Phantomz

Quote from: TFM on 15:15, 14 June 16
Ok, nice to have a counter. But... do people really use tapes in these days?  :o

I doubt it to be honest, but if a tape counter is do able then why not.  ;D

It should have been put in to begin with by Amstrad.  :doh:

||C|-|E||

Quote from: TFM on 15:15, 14 June 16

Not for multi-loading games but for the others, yes, I still use tapes from time to time, particularly to load text adventures. They bring back a lot of good memories  :) I still enjoy buying some original games and I really love to load them in the classic way when I feel like doing it. Most of the time, however, I use the HXC and I think that for modern productions floppies or floppy images are the way to go  :D

Gryzor

Can someone please build... something, whatever, for the CPC that uses these nifty LEDs? I don't care how useless of silly!

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:22, 15 June 16
Can someone please build... something, whatever, for the CPC that uses these nifty LEDs? I don't care how useless of silly!

Well I have 5 of them on their way to me. Tell me what you want them to display. :)

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

We can make an ABBA switch that says 1A-2B and when everything is normal but when you change says 1B-2A :D My Plus is there Bryce!! Feel free  :D :D :laugh:

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:42, 15 June 16
We can make an ABBA switch that says 1A-2B and when everything is normal but when you change says 1B-2A :D My Plus is there Bryce!! Feel free  :D :D :laugh:

Ehhh, no. Cutting a hole in the Plus case just for a glorified status LED goes against everything I stand for! :D

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:42, 15 June 16

Excellent idea!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Bryce on 20:43, 15 June 16
Ehhh, no. Cutting a hole in the Plus case just for a glorified status LED goes against everything I stand for! :D

Bryce.

Aaah... you have made Gryzor very very sad  :-X :-\