News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My Bargain priced GX4000 arrived today now to mod it!

Started by Badstarr, 15:38, 27 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: Executioner on 10:24, 28 September 11
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but, comparing a CPC to a Nissan Sunny is some kind of joke, surely.

That's right, I would rather choose a Nissan 300ZX (I had the small brother, the 100NX - in black, no question).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

steve

What that car needs is a CPC installed with an SSA-1 and controlling a line of red leds at the front.

robcfg

QuoteWhat that car needs is a CPC installed with an SSA-1 and controlling a line of red leds at the front.

[/size]
[/size]Agree! Bryce and Syx, please come to the Lab... ;D

Bryce

Ok, ready to go.....

Box of LEDs - check
Soldering Iron - check
1.8K resistors - check
PIC µP- check
"The Hoff" - che........ Hmmm, now where did I leave my permed talentless special agent, turned noteless singing wonder from the 80's?? Typical, you put something down for 10 seconds and suddenly it's nowhere to be found. Last time I did that he ended up on a wall in Berlin claiming to have re-united east and west. I really need to look after my stuff more carefully :D

Bryce.

villain

Quote from: steve on 16:48, 28 September 11
What that car needs is a CPC installed with an SSA-1 and controlling a line of red leds at the front.

Prodatrons car already has the red lights but I doubt that they are controlled by a CPC. :-)

David Hasselhoff in my Knight Rider KITT Replica (at The Dome 55 with Daniela Katzenberger)

TFM

Well, Prodatron seemingly had some surgery; he's looking like David Hasselhoff now. :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

I think he's just combed his hair differently, I'm pretty sure that IS him :D

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 20:25, 28 September 11
I think he's just combed his hair differently, I'm pretty sure that IS him :D

Bryce.

There is a good chance that you're right. But we don't see much from the car actually.
Maybe the video-link is the wrong one?
TFM of FutureSoft

Badstarr

Quote from: Executioner on 10:24, 28 September 11
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but, comparing a CPC to a Nissan Sunny is some kind of joke, surely.

You obviously haven't seen the Sunny Coupe!  :D  It's totally different to the standard Sunny. Let me explain this further...

The Sunny is like the ZX Spectrum (interestingly there is ZX Sunny too hmm..) Many of them were sold and despite being a tad grey and boring they were very popular cars dependable and just the right accessory to go along with your pipe and slippers. Then Nissan developed the R-Z1 concept car, styled after the early R series Skylines. It was based on the same design chassis as the Sunny, but was lightened and fettled for much more positive driving experience. Not one body panel, trim component or accessory was carried over from the standard Sunny. The Engines were souped up and the car was about 30% lighter (not all territories though) It may have had some common hardware but was and is a much sexier better performance car. Then for some reason Nissan chose call the bloody thing The Sunny Coupe! R-Z1 sounds so much better. Any way the car sold in very small numbers but was superior to the standard Sunny in every respect! Hence the comparison with the Amstrad CPC!

TFM/FS, did you know the NX100 was the replacement for the Sunny Coupe, based on the N14/B13 Sunny platform? It was slightly heavier but got the more powerful engines to keep the performance at it's best. I like the Targa roofs on those cars!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

You either work for Nissan or you're a serious car fanatic :D For me, your description read like a poem, true car history, but I suspect that non-car enthusiasts may read and think - And? So what?

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Badstarr on 21:23, 28 September 11
TFM/FS, did you know the NX100 was the replacement for the Sunny Coupe, based on the N14/B13 Sunny platform? It was slightly heavier but got the more powerful engines to keep the performance at it's best. I like the Targa roofs on those cars!

No I didn't know. My former girl-friend helped me to get my 100NX (probably SHE liked to drive it!). I always liked that car, because you in the summer you just get your roofs out and driving is sooooo wonderful! And it was a quite beautiful car too.
I had to sell it when I moved to USA, they Chevy a have here is actually a poor replacement.

However, I never managed to integrate a CPC into it, but if I would have the time I would give it a try.
TFM of FutureSoft

Executioner

Quote from: Badstarr on 21:23, 28 September 11
You obviously haven't seen the Sunny Coupe!  :D  It's totally different to the standard Sunny.

Well, I've had a look at some photos, and although it does look infinitely better than the standard Sunny, I can really see the comparison now. There's not a curved line on it, just like the CPC :)

btw, I am a car enthusiast, but my enthusiasm pretty well starts with anything Italian and ends with anything outside Europe, with the exclusion of maybe a Ford GT.

TFM

Quote from: Executioner on 00:39, 29 September 11
btw, I am a car enthusiast, but my enthusiasm pretty well starts with anything Italian and ends with anything outside Europe, with the exclusion of maybe a Ford GT.

Good point the new GT looks like the old GT40, but has more modern technique. I wished I would know the Englisch word for "Querlenker", then we could talk about cars here...

However, you may know one of my favorite cars, the Brittish Sunbeam. I made it to fix "gear box", hell, I'll never forget that! CPCing is definitely way more easy :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft

Badstarr

@ Bryce, Haha! You are right on both counts, I work for Nissan and I'm a bit of a Nissan enthusiast!

@ Xyphoe, it is a B12 Sunny Coupe! Impressed that you know that detail! Shame about your Mazda 323F they are nice cars, Japanese cars seem to cause either indifference, hate, or people love them! The 944 is a great car, I'd bet the exhaust cost a hell of a lot more for your car than it did for mine!

@ Executioner, Glad you agree, people's reaction to my car has often been pretty much the same as their reaction to my CPC!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 16:29, 28 September 11

That's right, I would rather choose a Nissan 300ZX (I had the small brother, the 100NX - in black, no question).

OooooOOoooh... I love these cars! In fact I very nearly bought the exact same one in that pic in black too! Although I always go for red normally ... which is the fastest colour ;)

The 300ZX's go like absolute stink ... twin turbos most of them!  :o

Fun CPC related fact ... the car in Chase HQ II : SCI is a Nissan ZX300, and the non-police car in Cisco Heat is also one too! (sadly the CPC version only has the standard police car to drive)

Xyphoe

Quote from: Badstarr on 05:25, 29 September 11
@ Xyphoe, it is a B12 Sunny Coupe! Impressed that you know that detail! Shame about your Mazda 323F they are nice cars, Japanese cars seem to cause either indifference, hate, or people love them! The 944 is a great car, I'd bet the exhaust cost a hell of a lot more for your car than it did for mine!

:)

I love my Jap cars ... in most cases great build, great performance ... lasts forever! The poor old Mazda 323F (1990) had over 250,000 miles on the clock - but still drove like it did all those years ago, it NEVER broke down on me once, and sailed through MOT's every time - only once did I have an advisory! I was absolutely gutted when it went, as it was a rare 1.8L GTi with the rear spoiler and twin exhaust - and I kept looking out for one for years but only this week have I seen one pop up on Ebay - which ended within hours (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330618521608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) - I almost went and bought it even though I don't need a 2nd car!!  :(

I do love the Porsche 944 ... it is by far, my favourite car of all time - it's not as fast as say the ZX300, but it's looks, road poise and handling, especially grip on bends and tracks is fabulous! Driving it daily is just a constant joy and never gets old for me :) However there is in nearly all cases a large up-keep cost ... pretty much most of the major components will have to be replaced (clutch, exhaust system, fuel tank, engine, ECU, gear linkage system, etc) at some point. Worst of all though is rust in the sills - all of them suffer from it and it's costly job. So if you're getting one - full service history is a must and hopefully someones done most of the replacing already. I'm lucky in those regards as all I have to worry about is the sills now which have early stages of corrosion, and possibly the clutch at some point - everything else including engine, fuel tank etc has all been replaced. Saying that though they're a joy to work on - and most of the jobs and servicing you can do yourself easily if you have the time and some amount of skills - so they're a great project car to work on and parts are surprisingly cheap!! Having a great community on the web to ask for help and advice is great too - bit like these forums for the CPC - lots of dedicated enthusiasts wiling to help :D Oh and the exhaust system - I went for a nice stainless steel Dansk which cost about £380 but is worth it as it'll last and sounds really throaty and great roar when you hit the high revs! ^_^

MiguelSky

Bryce

@Badstarr: It shows (that you are more than an ethusiast) :D If you happen to work in NTC Cranfield, then send me a PM with your contact details, I'll call in next time I'm there.

@TFM: "Querlenker" in English is "Tracking arm" or "control arm", or the americans call it a "Traverse", in french it's a "bras oscillant traversal" (so that the french users know what you are about to tell us) :) ..... So what were you going to tell us?

Bryce.

(Shouldn't this stuff be moved to Off-Topic? )

TFM

Definitely should! But this thread has a twin-turbo in beeing written ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

Badstarr

@ Bryce, I work at the Nissan Sunderland plant, shame coz I could have handed those controllers straight over to you if I had worked there!

This thread has gotten a little off topic hasn't it? lol!  :D  I guess that's my fault for bringing up the car comparison! But reading back through it still has a CPC theme of sorts.

I have considered building a CPC based 'carputer' at least a CPC wouldn't drain valuable horse power with its minuscule power demands and of course I have considered the Kit strobe-sensor light thingy controlled  by the CPC, I thought it would be possible to use the printer port to trigger some LEDs and I suppose some CD audio control wouldn't be impossible. I could start the car with the command |CAR RUN"ENGINE.BAS"!  ;D   

TFM

Quote from: Badstarr on 20:18, 29 September 11
I have considered building a CPC based 'carputer' at least a CPC wouldn't drain valuable horse power with its minuscule power demands and of course I have considered the Kit strobe-sensor light thingy controlled  by the CPC, I thought it would be possible to use the printer port to trigger some LEDs and I suppose some CD audio control wouldn't be impossible. I could start the car with the command |CAR RUN"ENGINE.BAS"!  ;D

You should use one of the cost down PCBs, they are really small. Plus a MegaFlash. And in case you need an OS, let me know  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft