News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My new 3,5" external drive

Started by protek, 07:18, 29 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

protek

I thought I'd share a pic of my new external 3,5" floppy disk drive. I got a Samsung SFD-321B, which is relatively easy to mod internally to have pin34 to be connected to RDY instead of DC. That minimizes the need for external jumpers. It's a matter of soldering a zero ohm resistor from one point to another, which I did.

Samsung doesn't have a solid bottom so you need to rise it a bit so that the spinner doesn't take contact with table or floor. I used four screws. I also made an adapter cable to be able to connect a standard 5V PSU. Next step is to find a suitable case for the mechanism and possibly connect a switch between DS0/DS1. At the moment it is DS1 as from the factory so it operates as B drive.

Bryce

There are quite a few Amiga external drives that have a very compact metal case, basically just wrapping the drive. You can usually get them quite cheap, especially if they are non-functioning. That's what I have mine in.

Bryce.

protek

I have such a defunct drive stashed - somewhere. It's one of those RF332C units or similar. But isn't the mechanism used in those even slimmer than a standard 3,5" floppy drive?

Bryce

That depends exactly what version you have. As you can see from this picture here: http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4930/p5240083.jpg

There were several versions of varying height. Mine just happens to be one that was large enough for a standard 3.5in drive.

Bryce.

protek

I think both of mine are like the second on the right.

fgbrain

Anyone can suggest a compact case that will fit two switches (side and drive select )  at the front?
That's my main problem!
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Bryce

How about an Amiga drive from GoldenImage. They have a small panel on the left side. But they are difficult to find.
There's nothing behind the panel. It's there because there was a more expensive version with a Track Display there.

Bryce.

Edit: This one: http://thebucketdiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/frontviewdrive.jpg

Gryzor

This would look good next to the Plus series...