News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 SCART issues

Started by fgsfds, 19:39, 22 February 13

Previous topic - Next topic

fgsfds

Hello. I'm quite new here, so this will most likely be a very stupid question and in a wrong subforum.

Recently got myself a CPC464 (my first 8-bit machine of this kind, actually) in an almost perfect working condition, with an RGB SCART cable from Retro Computer Shack. The PSU is not the one officially bundled with the cable, but instead a similar no-name one (5V/3A). Machine itself works perfectly fine with it.

Now for that 'almost'. The video signal i get through the SCART cable is not the most stable one: flickers (both video and audio) sometimes, especially when the CPC is running something heavy. Also, the image gets gradually brighter over time, so after about 30 minutes it gets completely white. Replugging the cable or restarting either the TV or the CPC seems to fix that (just 'resets' the process, actually). Caught slight color distortion one or two times, but that seems to fix itself the same way.

Suspecting either the cable or the PSU. Also wouldn't write here if had other TVs (now it's hooked up to a cheapo LCD, should have RGB SCART, but how the hell do i tell them apart anyway?) to test the thing on, but cannot get one at the moment, or if i had more cables (i.e. more room for failing). What do?
Again, apologies for a stupid question, just ran out of ideas.

Devilmarkus

It's probably caused by weak capacitators on the 464's PCB.
Hard to check it out without seeing the real machine.

On my CTM 644 I also see a bit flickering when accessing the tape for example.
It's not annoying but noticeable.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

fgsfds

Well, flickering isn't as annoying as the overbright image itself. Thanks for the tip.