New Pace RS232 - You Voted - Useful Treasure -Modded as a ROMBox

Started by spookspring, 22:06, 16 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

spookspring

Pace RS232 Interface New Pace RS232 - Useful Treasure or Obsolete Anachronism?

Amstrad Serial Interface - CPCWiki   You Voted - Useful Treasure

Hi Retro Buffs. Having caught the retro-repair-bug I have gone all out assault on ebay and come up with a magic black box, a Pace RS232 (dry stored for 19 yrs) with 2 Commstar ROMS. Works on my 464 but not the 6128. I had some dream about finding an old modem and somehow browsing some secret micro forum, but having read all the technical jargon on these forums, this is probably beyond my capabilities on the current internet.

There is mention that it could be used to connect 2 CPC's, or possibly to a PC, but that also seems to be staggeringly complicated for a Basic/html user. AMSSIO software combined with Amstrad Pace RS232 serial Interface on 464

So what then is this magic box of wonders any good for in 2012? I read in the back of the manual that the ROMs could be replaced, so maybe I could use this as a small ROM box with a word processor and disk manager? Otherwise, it's to the display cabinet with you!

This model and manual is not featured in the CPC Wiki. I pdf'ed the manual and will upload the pics if Gryzor wants them.

Chiz, Spooks

The final frontier - trying to get online with a CPC - Complete!

Gryzor

Quote from: spookspring on 22:06, 16 September 12
this is probably beyond my capabilities on the current internet.

Yes, let's hope they will update the Internet soon so it can run on the CPC :D

Just kidding. I have an RS232 myself (don't remember if it's the Amstrad one or a Pace), never used it but it looks nice. Thanks for the manual - I actually emailed you yesterday morning, did you get it?

T

TFM

I used the Pace for the CPC6128 quite a coulple of times. It also has ROMs onboard.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Badstarr

Write some software and use it as a MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) control keyboards and drum machines etc. Apart from that basic comms stuff that is all I could think of that you could use it for.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

ralferoo

I think you should have a go just trying it out. Most desktop PCs from even a couple of years ago still have a real serial port on, if not a USB serial port is usually pretty cheap.

You might find it to be a nice easy way to get programs onto the CPC from the PC for instance...

That said, I bought a similar serial board (I think I got the next version on) at a car boot sale about 2 months ago and still haven't even plugged it into a CPC yet to see if it works!

MacDeath

Can't this be used to control some machine tool with numerical control ?

older models are better I guess... or a modern PC too. ;)

Also if you are into Robotic.

What are the applications to handle this thing ?
Also what are the application to channel programs (.dsk) on the CPC or directly into RAM ?
Can you load some "single load games" with this ?

is RS232 well supported ? I suppose Future OS can do it.
Still it must be better to have a 6128 for this.

Weren't there a pair of "network multiplayer" games on CPC ?

Gryzor

TFM

Aehm.... I try to say it nicely... I do miss the time to try out everything you can do with an RS232, but I do not miss ideas what to do with it  ;)  It's good to have one  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

spookspring

See, in here we have two replaceable ROMS. (Commstar is a browser for the internet).
It says in the manual they are replaceable, so I'm going to put...erm a PARADOS in there and see what happens.
Also there is room for two other ROMS! But looks like it needs a lot of other components to connect it.

arnoldemu

Please dump the roms, perhaps they are different to the ones dumped already.
I am interested in the 1179 numbers on them, it may be a revision number.

I like your idea to reuse the board to host some other roms.

I think the board uses rom slot 2 and 3.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

spookspring

K go all tech on me and tell me how to dump a ROM, or come round and DIY!

Bryce

Hey, it can take up to four ROMs. Install the sockets and those two 2K2 Resistors and the ceramic capacitors (100nf should be fine) and you should be good to go. A nice 4 way ROMBoard :) It looks like the ROM Numbers can be selected with the jumpers A,B,C and D, so you'd have to add a jumper to A and B.

To dump the ROMs you're going to need an EPROM Burner. Or send the ROMs to someone who has one.

Bryce

Edit: I just noticed it has a 0-7, 8-15 jumper too. But I'd leave it at 0-7 anyway, especially if you intend using it on a 464.

Terje_Norway

Hi,

You should be able to dump the ROMS by using the "ROMGET.BAS" software provided by March Vieth ! ! !

Go to the following link, and choose the "cpcemu-dos-x86-1.5.zip"

CPCemu Downloads

In the ZIP file You'll find a a program called "ROMGET.BAS"

That's the program I have used to dump all my roms ! ! !

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

TFM

Dumping ROMs:

-Select ROM
-Bank ROM in
-Copy ROM from &C000 to &4000
-Save 16 KB to disc
-Make a DSK
-Arnoldemu is happy!

Now if you already would have MAXAM in ROM it would be easy. But else you can use any kind of Assembler to compile such a program in a minute.

Now, do it twice, for ROM number 2 and then 3 (that's my boards configuration, it oversea).
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

According to the jumpers on the PCB, his ROMs are set to ROM 4 and ROM 6.

Bryce.

TFM

May well be, didn't check... however, the most easy way to read this ROMs (or any ROM) is to download the ROManager:

http://www.colorado-boys-muenchen.de/users/futureos/files/MF_ROManager.zip

Start the ROManager (filename in archive is: 'MegaFlashROManager_4_BASIC_V1.44.dsk') and use 'File' --> 'Save 1 ROM'.

That's it!  8)

(Use joystick; cursorkeys, copy, return, esc for usage of the program).
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

so this model also include a ROM box...
4 chips possible I guess you can put 4x16k ROMs on this ?

Can you put RAM instead ?

Those cards look very clean.

Is it possible to solder pins in the holes for the selector part so you can use jumpers ?

Also could be a nice move to add sockets for the A & B ROM plug so it would be more practical too.

Bryce

@MacDeath:

Yes, it would be 4x 16K ROMs

No, you couldn't put RAM ICs in it without several other (complicated) modifications being made.

From the pictures, it looks like the holes for the bridges are 2.54 pitch, so it should be possible to add standard jumper pins here to make re-congiguration very easy.

As well as adding the sockets for A and B, you would need to add the smoothing capacitors and the two 2K2 pull-up resistors.

Bryce.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

IanS

The romboard looks very similar to the Honeysoft romboard I have. The resistors in the corner are diodes on mine. It also has an edge connector.

Also note that the Honeysoft board doesn't do full decoding of the rom number so the roms repeat at every multiple of 16 (rom 1 appears at 1, 17, 33,49 etc.). Not normally a problem unless you have some obscure hardware (e.g. brunword) connected.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

IanS

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:21, 19 September 12
Indeed! That's the same PCB  :)
Very similar, I'd be interested to find out what the EXP connections are for.

TFM

The raw of pins? Probably for a cable, so you can add further extpansions to the CPC.
TFM of FutureSoft

IanS

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:39, 19 September 12
The raw of pins? Probably for a cable, so you can add further extpansions to the CPC.
The two pins on the right hand side, below the rom range selection links (0-7, 8-15), they aren't on my romboard.

TFM

Quote from: IanS on 21:47, 19 September 12
The two pins on the right hand side, below the rom range selection links (0-7, 8-15), they aren't on my romboard.

Ah got you. Well they select the ROM region for all ROMs. Either they are all between 0 and 7 or they are all between 8-15. So you can add some more of these cards ...
TFM of FutureSoft