News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New yerar, new CPC board

Started by Piotr, 13:29, 07 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseman

Quote from: Bryce on 08:32, 16 June 15
Still, it's a rather neat solution.

Bryce.

Do you think that is recommend to do this from the start on a new cpc board?

i mean, the compatibility is 100% accurate with cpc software-games?

I don't deny that 256kb accessible by the CRT is very interesting...

gerald

Quote from: Joseman on 10:34, 16 June 15

Only the base 64k are usable for the video, see the note below the equations.
When the GA has access (CPU signal high), all address comes from the CRTC (externally muxed) and the new address (AMUX)  bit is forced.

From a compatibility point of view, only the basic scheme are there : C0, C4,C5,C6,C7.
You cannot switch the whole 64k (C2), nor use the C1,C3 mode (extension RAM mapping at 0xc000)
Also, SW using the C1,C2,C3 will indded activate an extension ram mode, but not something expected  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: Joseman on 10:34, 16 June 15

No. It doesn't really have any huge advantages. We should stick to the current standard to keep compatibility.

Bryce.

Joseman

Ruled out this add-on then!  8)

Bryce

Quote from: Joseman on 12:23, 16 June 15
Ruled out this add-on then!  8)

As it's (almost) just a plug-in and relatively cheap to make, you could make one up and test it pretty easily and then remove it again if it's not to your liking.

Bryce.

Piotr

Hmm, i specially made Just CPC in THT, all IC is socketed for "easy" changes, modifications ,add ons etc.

Bryce

The original 6128 has the PAL socketed too.

Bryce.

Joseman

and that's one of the many reasons why i like so much it!!

Piotr

Small board for this German expansion to 512, U1 GAL, U4 2x10 pinrow to fit it in old gal socket.

Bryce

Nice. If you overlap the PAL socket/pins and rotate them 90° the PCB would be quite a bit smaller.

Bryce.

Edit: Can you share the files? I'd like to try out a few different layouts.

Piotr

Yop Bryce, i do it quickly just  for example, in 20 minutes. Still need some work,  dimensions etc.

Sure i can, but i working on Diptrace

Bryce

Thanks, I don't usually use DipTrace, but I have it installed. Good time to learn to use it better :)

Bryce.

Piotr

Have fun, but is a really user friendly soft ;) And free up to 500 points i think?

Bryce

Yup seems pretty intuitive. Here's my suggestion, something like this. I've flipped the smaller IC over onto the bottom along with the resistors and 2 caps.

Bryce.

Bryce

Or (easier to route), double sided but with ICs on the side.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 21:11, 16 June 15
Or (easier to route), double sided but with ICs on the side.
It would be better to have the smd IC on the other side of the PAL. That side is free of component on the main board.

Bryce

Yes, I didn't check how it fits in the CPC, it was just a layout concept to see how small it can be squeezed. The header is probably on the wrong side too?

Bryce.

gerald

It would be better near pin 1 : IC114 is under the PAL, the RAM and IC109 on the right.

Piotr

Diptrace sometimes do a bad joke and if you flip IC for bottom side PCB don't change pinout so be careful.

Piotr

dOk, on the way ;) DHL from China.

skywalky

I like it, and I want one soon.

CraigsBar

All these pictures that tease lol. Is the only difference between the 128k and 64k models, other than the extra ram bank obviously, the extra m4x slot? If so that will be a tough decision once these become available!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Piotr

CraigsBar

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Joseman