News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RAM Expansion

Started by VincentGR, 18:57, 07 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Hello Ladies&Gentlemen.

I have the magnificent M4 WI-FI from Duke.
I really want some extra ram for symbos.
Well I don't really know which model is compatible with M4, plus I think I need an adapter too right?

Any suggestions&links are welcome, thanks in advance.

revaldinho

If you have a 6128, then I still have a couple of these left

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Old_School_512K_RAM_Expansion

Very low power and tolerant of low voltage on the back of the edge connector.

Has the same connector as the M4, so will also plug into an expansion board like ToTO's Mother MX4, LambdaMikels' Lambdaboard or my own simple CPC backplane.

VincentGR

How can I connect the M4 WIFI on this board?
I am really confused with all these connectors.
Is this ram compatible with my board?

GUNHED

Yes, you can put the M4 board on Tot0's Mother X4 board. Some guys reported power problems. Personally I never had a problem. Always worked well.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

revaldinho

QuoteIs this ram compatible with my board?

The Old School RAM card is compatible with CPC6128s and later plus machines. It's not compatible with 464s and 664s.

Here's a snap of the Old School RAM card in my own expansion board, and beside it the short ribbon cable needed to connect to the CPC. This card has three slots and has the option to connect external power to any or all of the three slots via three jumper connections

ToTO's Mother X4 card is very similar, also needing the same short ribbon connector. The MX4 has four slots and the ability to daisy chain boards. It also offers external power but rather than jumpers uses schottky diodes to manage CPC and external power. This does lower the card voltage slightly (by about 150-200mV) which some have reported issues with when using the card on CPCs which may already have poor voltage coming off the edge connector. In that case the external power supply option should sort things out.

LambdaMikel also has a Lambdacard which is similar again. It has 3 slots but doesn't offer an external power option. However, it is the only expansion card which replicates the CPC edge connector, so you can still plug in original peripherals at the far end of the card.

I think I have all of that right, but please correct me if not and I've missed any other expansion cards. The main point is that the available expansion motherboards are all pretty similar and both the M4 and RAM cards will plug into any of them.

AmstradNoob

Where can one buy this "Mother X4" board?

Audronic

@@AmstradNoob

Send. "
ToTO " a personal message, he visits the Forum and make your enquiry

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.