News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Official release dates of Amstrad hardware?

Started by Xyphoe, 16:03, 27 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

You know, I'm struggling to find on the internet the official release dates of Amstrad CPC hardware!  :o

For example I'm seeing different dates reported for the 6128 which is celebrating 30 years round about now somewhere!!

So can we confirm and fill in the blanks here? It would good to be have this on the Wiki too!

CPC 464 = 21st June 1984  (pretty sure on this)
CPC 664 = ??st/th May 1985
CPC 6128 = ??st/th August 1985? (not sure at all - note I believe it was released in the US first before coming to the UK)
GX4000 = ??st/th September 1990
464/6128 Plus = ??st/th September 1990

It should be noted that some dates may be further confused with it's "launch" or unveiling at a press conference date AND it's official *retail* release date. The retail release may be a month or two after it's unveiling. Would be nice to know BOTH!

Also units sold would be nice to have.
I believe I have found that the 664 sold around 10,000 units and the GX4000 15,000 units.
Amstrad's own website lists 3 million sold for the CPC range, but we don't know how accurate that is and for what machines. ie is that just for the CPC 464? Or does that include the 6128? Plus machines? etc.

Xyphoe

Found this on Wikipedia -

"the GX4000 was officially announced along with the 464 plus and 6128 plus computers at the CNIT Centre in Paris in August 1990. The system was launched a month later in four countries, Britain, France, Spain, and Italy"

arnoldemu

I would say their 3 million units would be 464,664 and 6128 combined, possibly including gx4000, 464plus and 6128plus.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Carnivius

I missed my 464's 31st birthday?   :'(
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ZbyniuR

I read somewhere, probably in Alan Sugar book that 2/3 part of all sold CPC models - was 464. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 17:44, 27 June 15
I read somewhere, probably in Alan Sugar book that 2/3 part of all sold CPC models - was 464. :)

Lets face it there are no solid figures. Utilising the serial numbers is the only real way to get any kind of accurate estimate. The figures on the Amstrad site are a bit flakey for some of the other machines and are probably a result of someone like Cliff Lawson trying to remember.

15,000 for the GX4000. This has only ever been a guess. 15,000 for the UK or worldwide. There's simply no data just people parroting what the hacks of the day guesstimated.

The launch date of the GX4000/Plus should be easy to find as it was at a high profile event in Paris which was invite only.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

arnoldemu

Serial number of my gx4000: 735-0x40942

Serial number of my 464+: 532-0911107

How can we tell the released amount  from the serial number?
My games. My Games

chinnyhill10

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:27, 27 June 15

Well they can be sometimes be decoded and then by comparing numbers we can see how many were made. That's why the owners of some formats such as the C64 have a serial number database.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

AMSDOS

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:47, 27 June 15

15,000 for the GX4000. This has only ever been a guess. 15,000 for the UK or worldwide. There's simply no data just people parroting what the hacks of the day guesstimated.

I could be wrong, though the way I recall it, the Plus Range was only officially released in the UK & Europe.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

dragon

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:27, 27 June 15

I investigate time ago the serial numbers ( in classic CPC) with a portuguese guy time ago.

We have  theory the serial numbers is related to  the internal manufacture of orion, in what factory  are produce  the CPC. But I not remember the details now, I can search the emails anyway.

More 15000 was made, because now eBay are sellin new :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:05, 27 June 15

Well they can be sometimes be decoded and then by comparing numbers we can see how many were made. That's why the owners of some formats such as the C64 have a serial number database.
Yes. It is a pity it is not obvious from the serial itself here.
My games. My Games

Xyphoe

One date found -

The launch / unveiling of the CPC 464 to the press was the 12th April 1984

Xyphoe

Quote from: dcdrac on 19:18, 01 July 15
Amstrad CPC 464 - Computing History

Amstrad CPC

Interesting.

Two different articles, two different dates for the 6128.

First one states July, the second one states August.