News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Open Source, DIY 512KB RAM Expansion

Started by revaldinho, 22:10, 24 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: Dubliner on 17:21, 06 December 20
LOL. I had another infamous guy who doesn't post anymore in this forum in mind when i wrote that. Excusation non petita, accusatio manifesta.
You always repeat the same things, so I know your problem... You want that I refund you R-TYPE because you said to have not received it, but you do not wanted to pay neither for a tracking neither for the insurance. You are a joke and again off topic.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Dubliner

Don't put words on my mouth that i didn't said. I was refering to Piotr and his world famous customer service. I don't know why the hell do you feel attacked.
Seriously, get a life.

TotO

Quote from: Dubliner on 17:29, 06 December 20
I was refering to Piotr and his world famous customer service. I don't know why the hell do you feel attacked.
Because you have wrote "I had another infamous guy" ... Do you understand that mean Piotr and me?
Always the same minority on a forum thinking they are representative of the "cpc community".
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Dubliner

I understand english is not your language.

Another: 2) used to refer to a different person or thing from one already mentioned or known about.

TotO

Quote from: Dubliner on 17:44, 06 December 20I understand english is not your language. Another: 2) used to refer to a different person or thing from one already mentioned or known about.
Nor you... Because that mean a different infamous person from one infamous person already mentioned or know about.

Gryzor

Guys, please cool it. Will clean the thread tomorrow, for now please everyone enjoy your Sunday evening.

As for myself, going to pay some R-Type on my RG350 😊

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 17:10, 06 December 20
@Bryce  Speaking prices is not something prohibited. It allow to inform peoples about what they bought. Many forums does that.
@Dubliner Please... The registered mail include the insurance to refund the parcel when contracted by the buyer. Stop with that.

No, many things aren't prohibited, but that still doesn't make them correct or polite. It also doesn't inform anyone, it's the buyers job to decide what and from whom he/she buys. Many people might also consider low-cost devices to be sub-standard. Should the higher priced sellers be "informing" the buyers about this too?

Bryce.

TotO

@Bryce I have said the RAM board was a bit expensive and I got the answer: It was to pay the Xilinx programmer and now it is 5£ less... Nice, I got my answer. All things wrote next have no sens.

QuoteShould the higher priced sellers be "informing" the buyers about this too?
I let you answer to that, or ask to Simulent. ;D

Gryzor

OHHHH-KAY GUYS.

A new day is shining down on us (well, not here in Athens where it's been pouring cats and dogs but anyhow), so can we all take a deep breath and get back on topic?

I understand that it's a stressful period for many of us, like with the whole world. But, if you all go through the posts you'll see some unnecessary animosity and anger. I mean, everyone here up to now has posted things to promote the community and the offerings to it, everyone's has been striving to do something good for all of us. And yet we end up fighting. This is not good, obviously. It's amazing how little by little, comment by comment, so much tension has been built.

So, can we put it all behind us and move on?

Thank you :)

Animalgril987

Hi Skunkfish.
I've just received my MX4 compatible and 512k ram (yesterday, but not able to do anything until today).
Is the CPC supposed to indicate that it's attached?

Or is there a simple test program to check the CPC can see the extra memory?

Thanks

Alan.

Skunkfish

Hi Alan,

There's a great ram test program from @SyX in this thread that will let you know if your CPC is seeing all 512K.

Let me know how you get on,

Thanks,

James.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Animalgril987

Hi James.
I should have stated that I have a stock 464, wth no way to download dsk or cdt files.

I did create a program in BASIC to OUT the correct values to &7Fxx, Poke "XX" into &4000 and read it back, but all I get is &C4, which I take to mean internal memory only?

Hopefully it's just muck on my expansion port...

Will let you know after I get time to clean said port.

Alan

Edit: The reset button on the backplane works ok.

Skunkfish

An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Animalgril987

Ok, thanks Skunkfish.
I'll try it it tomorrow.

Alan.

eto

Just out of curiosity: Can a stock 464 take advantage of the extra RAM? I mean, in theory of course, but which software on tape would use more than 64K?

Bryce

The only tape software I know of that could use 128K was Mini Office II.

Bryce.

Skunkfish

There are quite a few games that either use or require 128K, this thread covers it quite well:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/amstrad-6128-only128k-games/

(not all are available on tape, but some were like Addams Family and Final Fight)

eto

I am aware of the games, and if I have a floppy or Gotek or M4 of course it makes sense. But I was just wondering what benefit I have of 512KB , if I have a stock 464 without extensions or floppy.

So what game or app on tape will take advantage of the additional ram?

GUNHED

Only revaldinho's RAM expansion can provide the RAM mode &C3 for the 464. So for the 464/664 this one is IMHO the best choice.
Well, what can you do without floppy disc? Good question in general.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Skunkfish

GUNHED

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Animalgril987

I have ordered an M4 board from Duke ( no rush, Duke, I'm patient :D ). I believe I can run games from the M4?

Skunkfish

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 19:44, 25 January 21I have ordered an M4 board from Duke ( no rush, Duke, I'm patient :D ). I believe I can run games from the M4?

Yes, you're in for a treat - the M4 is a fantastic device!

GUNHED

Yes, Revaldhinos RAM expansion and the M4 card are a great combination for the CPC464.  :)
With this equipment you can run FutureOS too.  ;D

Animalgril987

Hi Gunhed.
Yes, I'm looking forward to trying out FutureOS.  :D

Alan

Ps. Do you know what the correct DIP switch settings on the memory card will be for my setup?