News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

OpenFlops Floppy Disc emulator

Started by Mark_wllms, 13:53, 13 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_wllms

I noticed that a new alternative to the ubiquitous Gotek has been announced: the OpenFlops. Open source hardware which runs the Flash Floppy firmware.
Had anyone tried it? I'm looking to replace the drive in my CPC6128, and this looks like a good alternative.

Richard_Lloyd

Yes, I've just received one. It works exactly the same as a Gotek which is not surprising as it uses the same FlashFloppy firmware.

I just unplugged a Gotek and plugged the OpenFlops in and it works so no issues so far.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

Gryzor

I like the concept - rotaty selector, screen, speaker... oh and also the dual drive thing - how does that work?

ArnoldtheSwan

I'm torn between fitting a GoTek / SDHXC into my 6128 and replacing the 3" drive or finding an external Gotek / SDHXC that works...my dilemma is that whilst I think an internal drive would look neater I don't want to lose the 3"drive on my 6128....the solution seems to be buy a second 6128 but I don't want two....

....what would you do? Help....this is all new to me....

Audronic

@ArnoldtheSwan

Perhaps look at the ABBA modification for the 6128 and use a stand alone Gotek.

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Liartes

@ArnoldtheSwan if you are planning to use mainly the Gotek, internal setup is great as you will use only one power cord and there is nothing hanging out of the CPC. This is the choice I made, internal Gotek for 99% of my use cases, and I converted my 3" disk drive into an external drive with a 3D printed protective case for this 1% original feeling usage  ;D

Skunkfish

For me, I wanted to leave my 6128 Plus as close to original as possible so I kept the internal 3" drive and used an external Gotek.
I did however, fit an ABBA switch on the rear so I can select which is drive A & B.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

ArnoldtheSwan

Thanks - I have an external DDI/FDI drive already that I use with my 464 so I guess I could just attach that to a Gotek modified 6128 if I wanted to use a 3" drive. I think I'm leaning towards Gotek - there's one on EBay with an OLED display.

But the ABBA switch sounds critical even in that scenario - can anyone recommend a good one out there?

Thanks,

Nigel

Skunkfish

The ABBA switch is a bit of a tricky project unfortunately, moreso on the 6128 than the Plus...

There's a guide here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ABBA_switch

There is a cable hack to make the external drive appear as A, but it will temporarily make the internal drive unavailable...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

ArnoldtheSwan

Wow, yes, that does look tricky - I was hoping for something a bit more plug and play....

Guess I'm back to thinking I need to pick up a second 6128 :(

Nigel

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

e-dredon

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:10, 14 September 20
I like the concept - rotaty selector, screen, speaker... oh and also the dual drive thing - how does that work?
You can MOD any GoteK with the same features. You just need to add few pinheaders on the board and replace the original firmware with flashfloppy using a USB-TTL programmer or a USB-A to USB-A cable. https://amstrad.eu/forum/topic/gotek-pour-amstrad-3eme-partie-amelioration-du-gotek/
The good with this board is the open hardware design and improved accessibility of the pinheaders for the rotary and the buzzer that can even be soldered directly onto the PCB. It seems they also replaced the LDO (voltage regulator) with a more reliable version.

Cheers,

Mark_wllms

In the end, I asked Ikonsgr for a USIfAC II expansion board - same price, and much easier to fit. It is very easy to use and can load snapshots and disk images as well as files from USB folders.

roudoudou

seems to be cool AND affordable, just need a 3D model support for CPC integration
oh, i see there was one but sold out...
https://www.simulant.uk/shop/amstrad-cpc-6128-664-spectrum-gotek-floppy-disk-drive-bracket-mount
My pronouns are RASM and ACE