News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Parados for 464 users with DDI-1 drive

Started by TotO, 19:01, 19 July 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Sorry, I can't answer that one as I was thinking exactly the same thing. Surely it would be make more sense to add a standard ROMBoard with more slots, than modify a DDI-1. Admittedly, IanS did kind of mention, that he only did it for the challenge.

Regarding the other "Why?" - Electrons, copper... Expect a rather long PM from me - Pages 1 to 87 will begin with the structure of an atom, charged particles and energy levels and we'll progress from there in the following 50 PMs.

Bryce.

IanS

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:54, 09 August 12
My question was, "why do it".
I'm still not sure of the questions you are asking.

It allows a 464 user with a DDI-1 to install 3 extra rom images with minimal cost and without extra boxes connected to the back of the machine. Having more roms available is better but I find protext, maxam and utopia a useful minimum.

I did it because TFM/FS asked if it could be done, and it seemed an interesting idea.

Does that answer your question?

Gryzor

I'm sorry, I don't believe in tiny things making the word go round. I can send you the first chapters of the Holy Books, but maybe I should gently introduce you to the Truth before moving on to Genesis.

As to the why; yeah, he kind of did, but I was asking because if I am to write an article I needed to understand and explain what we're trying to do with the guide!

Ah, IanS, thanks, that's more than clear :)

TFM

Always a plesure to meet humble people  :laugh: :P ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Ok, friends... it took me a while, but I found some time to give it a try. Taking all this informations an putting a page together.

DDI-1 with 64 KB - CPCWiki

It's far from perfect, but at least a start  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Nice page, but the Schematic and IC pictures are way too big, you should reduce them in size a bit, down to 600 or so.

Bryce.

TFM

Thanks & Done! Everybody feel free to improove that page. I also don't know it the text is understandable to everybody.
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I saw this in the Recent Changes feed, good work, thanks for it!

And, well, it's a collaborative place, everyone can resize a pic or two :p

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:06, 21 September 12
And, well, it's a collaborative place, everyone can resize a pic or two :p

I didn't want to start fiddling with the page, while it was probably still being fine-tuned by TFM.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah, I know what you mean, I had the same doubts a long time ago but then, unable to keep track of new pages I assumed a more heavy-handed approach.

TFM

@Gryzor: Of course :)

Quote from: Bryce on 13:33, 21 September 12
I didn't want to start fiddling with the page, while it was probably still being fine-tuned by TFM.

Bryce.

Oh no, you do fantastic pages!!! Really, feel free! I can't wait to see your LowerROM page soon  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:22, 21 September 12

Oh no, you do fantastic pages!!! Really, feel free! I can't wait to see your LowerROM page soon  ;)
Yeah, I was looking for that a few days back, and I could have *sworn* I had seen it before! :D

Bryce

Are you suggesting there was copying and pasting involved? :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Cutting, maybe. Nothing was pasted though.

TFM

Isn't that the sense of a good thread? To make ultimatively a wiki page out of it? IMHO that's what should happen more often  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FSIsn't that the sense of a good thread? To make ultimatively a wiki page out of it? IMHO that's what should happen more often 
Good idea, but taking everything from a thread and putting it into a readable article is not a simple task...

TFM

So true! Therefore I usually leave my fingers off  :P
TFM of FutureSoft

buzby

hi to all

this is a nice result of the project that is been discussed,this conversion was done for me by IAN S, cheers ian

i have had installed installed the rom parados, maxam, utopia and locksmith

i also had him to make me a switchable rom for my 464 so i now have best of both worlds this on my 464 and bryce's megaflash and lowerrom board on my 6128

Gryzor

Niiice! Where are you going to mount the switch?

00WReX

Very neat & tidy work by "IanS"  8)
Sounds like you have a nice setup now buzby.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Yeah, neat work, especially the "Dead Cockroach" solution on the DDI-1.

Bryce.

IanS

It maybe isn't clear from the pics, but the eprom in the DDI-1 still has all it's pins, and with the two pin connector (green) it can fairly easily be removed, erased and reprogrammed. Not as good as a flash solution, but not bad.

Bryce

I noticed that, but would it not have been easier to solder the wires directly to the EPROM socket on the other side of the PCB?

Bryce.

IanS

It would have required more cut tracks, and I was trying to do as little permanant damage to the interface as possible.

buzby

Quote from: 00WReX on 12:37, 26 November 12
Very neat & tidy work by "IanS"  8)
Sounds like you have a nice setup now buzby.

Cheers,
Shane

yes thanks shane "ians" was kind enough to do me this mod and i have a great setup now both with my 464 and my 6128 with bryce's hardware.

i wanted the ddi modded that way so i could use it on the 464 with my rombo rombox and it has freed me up 4 spaces now as the roms i now have in the ddi i used to use in the rombo as i have quite a few roms sitting around. also with the dual os rom in the 464 i belive i can now use roms 8 to 15 in the rombo when switced to the 6128 os......................... if i have explained myself right lol