News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pausing tape deck

Started by bjt, 13:16, 30 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

bjt

I recently got my childhood 464 & GT-65 out of storage, it didn't power up but after cleaning the contacts of the power switch it burst into life :-)

I have successfully loaded some games using a cassette to line-in adaptor & tapdancer, works great.

Is it safe to keep the deck paused the whole time while loading? It was struggling to turn the teeth of the cassette adaptor.

Bryce

Yes, you can leave it paused as long as you like. Alternatively, you can open the adapter and remove the wheels with the teeth.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 13:54, 30 April 15
Yes, you can leave it paused as long as you like. Alternatively, you can open the adapter and remove the wheels with the teeth.

Bryce.
on a cpc you can, not on a 464plus you can't. The tape drive in the plus triggers the auto stop from the non driven spindle, so both need to turn to keep the drive in play.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

The Autostop works by sensing too much tension on the magnet strip. The type of adapter he's using doesn't have any strip, so the Autostop shouldn't activate on any CPC with this type of adapter.

Bryce.

bjt

I opened up the cassette adaptor and removed all the gears etc, so all that's left is the output head. Not sure what the point of all those gears is tbh. Also rerouted the wire so it exits the bottom of the adaptor and goes straight out of the adjustment hole by the tape deck door.

Also, bonus pic of the machine - it needs a good clean and some pot cleaner in the volume control and the monitor controls too.

Carnivius

Quote from: bjt on 11:07, 01 May 15
Also rerouted the wire so it exits the bottom of the adaptor and goes straight out of the adjustment hole by the tape deck door.

Is that what that weird lil gap under the tape deck door is?  What does it actually do?  I've always wondered.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Bryce

The "weird little hole" is directly above the left (springloaded) screw of the tape decks read head, allowing you to adjust the azimuth (tape head position) while the tape is running and lid is closed.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I didn't think there were 464 users who hadn't used, let alone used, a screwdriver to adjust the azimuth! Damned Capcom loaders always needed their own angle on my machine...

VincentGR

Quote from: Bryce on 13:54, 30 April 15you can open the adapter and remove the wheels with the teeth.

Bryce.

This is what I did!
A strange thing with the cassette adaptor. On my C64 when I connect an external deck to it trying to allign the head with a prog, it keeps drawing the line even if the datassette is stopped.
I sense a strong magnetic field there  ;D