News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AMSTRAD GX4000 CPC 464 6128 PLUS Reflashable FLASH+ Cartridge

Started by overange, 18:35, 25 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolkin

Ah. ok, good to know :)
Thats fine, that there ist a easy Solution!
Thank you

Cwiiis

For those that want to print our own PCBs, or develop on top of this, are the design files available?

darkhalf

For those who are not aware, the 74HC112 uses a glitch method to work around ACID protection, whilst the FLACO cart (and this Flash Plus) utilise the Noca$h algorithm to convert address encoding into a serial response to the ASIC inside the Plus

The main difference from a user perspective is resetting the CPC. Hard reset is required with the 74HC112 flip flop. When using something like the M4 with BASIC, and uploading carts via the upload option, the reset needs to work

Unfortunately M4 doesn't work with quite a few 512K cart images (Blinky's Scary school as pictured is one example, but I've made a list). Still to debug that one and give Duke some feedback on it

Anyway I've tested the Xilinx (XC9536XL 3.3V version with 3.3V reg) and that powers up the CPC fine, so I can confirm this works for the prototype board
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

overange

Currently, it's important to mention that there has always been a disclaimer regarding the operation / development of the CPLD part of the PCB and therefore the files are not currently available for public use.
However, In the meantime, for those interested in DIY PCB printing or development, I recommend exploring other developers completed projects or open-source resources as a starting point for your own endeavours. There are many helpful platforms and communities available for such purposes. Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions or guidance!

If you are requiring assembled PCBs using the flipflop acid method for your own project, please let me know as we can work something out.

With the CPLD tests that darkhalf has performed, ( many thanks ;) ) there are going to be some suggested revision changes, this does not affect the current version regarding the FlipFlop / Acid bypass methods, these are still available to purchase if required.

Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Cwiiis

I've asked for my previous comment to be deleted because after discussing (perhaps something I should have done in the first place, rather than writing angry after a night of no sleep...), I think we've come to a really nice conclusion. In case it's already been deleted, I'd expressed some disappointment (in a probably overly-negative way) that overange suggested he wouldn't be opening his design even though it builds upon previous open work.

I always worry in niche communities like this that people may get discouraged from contributing - what I thought was happening was that overange was taking advantage of other people's previous goodwill to turn a profit (<-- not necessarily a bad thing) without giving anything back (<-- a bad thing, in my opinion). This isn't the case though, we talked it over and overange will be sharing his (very nice) design, and I'll continue to share my designs in future, as well as grant overange licence to sell them to people (under the proviso of a small credit, it's nice to be recognised :))

I'm really happy that this is the outcome - if it wasn't for Chinnery's previous work being available for people, I wouldn't be making physical copies of my game (and hopefully future games) and perhaps we wouldn't have seen some of the other great hardware developments on/around the Plus (like the C4CPC, the Play2CPC, Alcon 2020...) I'd like to think that overange's work being open may inspire future hardware and software developers and I'd encourage anyone looking for carts to check out his service. It really is very reasonably priced for what it is.

Re my new cartridge case design, I'll be sharing it as soon as I confirm it's completely correct - my previous one has some unfortunate deficiencies (mostly fine if you're FDM printing, but not so great for more accurate/sturdy prints), so if you are making cases, I'd encourage you to use someone else's design for now or hold off for a couple of weeks.

overange

I'm grateful that we were able to engage in a constructive dialogue and reach a positive resolution. Open communication is vital in our niche community, and I appreciate the opportunity to clarify my intentions regarding sharing my design.

I'm pleased to confirm that I'll be sharing my design on the open-source platform. Initially, I was hesitant until the CPLD was confirmed working. Now that it's validated, I'm eager to release this design and work on a newer version to enhance accessibility. I deeply value your ongoing contributions to the community. Your willingness to grant me a license to sell your designs with proper recognition reflects your generosity and dedication to our shared goals.

It's important to note that, like many hobbyists, all profits from the sale of our designs are reinvested into creating new designs for others to enjoy. We also do this to keep the taxman away.  ::)  

Ensuring the quality of our designs before sharing them is paramount, and I commend your diligence in this matter. I eagerly await the finalisation of your new cartridge case design.

Let's continue collaborating and inspiring each other in our future endeavours. Thank you for your understanding and support.
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

darkhalf

I just had minor comments, that overange was already aware of with regards to locations of decoupling caps on the current prototype. Plus clearing up the footprint around the regulators. So we know there are some minor updates to be made. 

CPLDs are a bit tricky to solder and program and are now $8AUD per cart, so I don't know how many people would use those. I use a microscope and fine tip iron, but should get some solder paste and use that instead

darkhalf

Got bored and did some updates to the original Flacco design. Removed switches, so 512K only  (this is now designed for inside a cart case) and moved the hole to the centre right to match the cartridge cases I've got printed up

Routed Cart Pin 2 (VCC) to the /WE pin and Cart Pin 39 (GND) to the /OE pin. This should allow programming of this cart with this adaptor

overange

As Darkhalf has demonstrated the flash mod is very easy, it is just utilising two pads on the cartridge to provide the correct signals needed to be recognised by the eprom programmer.

That Adapter PCB schematic is this:-

To be honest I am surprised no one ever noticed it and just used it in their own designs :)

I will be hosting the PCBs very soon, I will also host them on PCBway if anyone wants to order the adapters or cartridges.

Please remember, SM Soldering is needed on the cartridge.

Not sure but it may even be compatible with the Play2CPC device, please note that's a maybe.....
If someone wants to test it and report back on this topic and the PLAY2CPC topic that would be good for everyone.

If you are a homebrewer / Software developer and want your games already preprogramed onto a batch of cartridges, as you do not have a programmer, I can provide this service for you, please contact me for more information.

With this I am sure there are many here than can source you the Cartridge cases aswell.

COME ON LETS START RELEASING HOMEBREWS IN HARDWARE FORMAT :)

overange

darkhalf

QuoteNot sure but it may even be compatible with the Play2CPC device, please note that's a maybe.....
If someone wants to test it and report back on this topic and the PLAY2CPC topic that would be good for everyone
I'm looking to purchase that from abalore, so just sorting that now. Then I can prototype carts in my other CPCs via the PLAY2CPC. I don't like experimenting too much with the plus, in case I damage the ASIC.

overange

I redesigned the SM version and made it TH for those who do not like SM soldering.

It uses the SST39SF040-70-4C-PHE FLASH DEVICE

HOWEVER Before you start jumping about - I have ordered some boards to test it, if it does not work, ignore this post  :-X

See attached images for the two different version you can build.

If it works, then I will make the PCB available so those who what to make their own can do so.

Thanks