Play2CPC (Plus2CPC II) : Extra sound channels and rewritable cartridges

Started by abalore, 15:38, 23 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

To got your Play2CPC, just contact Abalore :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dragon

abalore

@gurneyh @respergu @genesis8 @entelle42 @VincentD @jesusdelmas @greatstone @SkulleateR @ajcasado @Richard_Lloyd @JayBlood @dragon @cosa_nostra-6128 @craem @Maniac @cpcbaio @Proteus @Apollo @NiNxPe @chilli_taff 

The orders for Play2CPC and centronics adapters are now open. The waiting list order will be respected for those who make the payment before monday morning, after that it will be in payment order.

The orders will be delivered in boxed version.

Pricing is 59€ for the Play2CPC and 12€ for each adapter, plus 9.90€ shipping. Payment by paypal (as friend) to contact@abalore.com

It's still possible to buy the Play2CPC bundled with Alcon2020, if you are interested in this option please contact by PM.

GUNHED

Can you great creators of this wonderful device please do me a favor?

What features have the Play2CPC and the PlayCity in common? Or let me ask in a better way: Which machine code will run on both of them? (Thinking of video raster interrupt and sound). Or best attempt of asking this question: Which I/O ports are common and work in the same way?

Would love to support the subset of features of both devices in my future software.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

You can use the &F888/&F988 audio ports and the CRTC cursor registers to program the raster interruption located at &0066. Both works on PlayCity and Play2CPC. More informations for developers will come asap.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

JayBlood

Jay

dragon

Payment sent I left the alcyon2020 cartridge for the future if someone left. 

Its much money the two things at same time for me. 

respergu

Payment sent, hoping to get the Alcon 2020 as well if possible  :)

Maniac

Did the solution of how to mix the extra audio in to the monitor speakers of the Plus models ever get sorted please?

abalore

Quote from: Maniac on 19:23, 27 May 22Did the solution of how to mix the extra audio in to the monitor speakers of the Plus models ever get sorted please?

That's not doable without additional elements, because you can't route anything to the audio output connector of the Plus from the expansion port. The same happens with the CPC, you can mix into the internal speaker with precise knowledge of the CPC schematics, but not into the audio jack.

So we made it in this way:

- You can hear the mix into the CPC speaker (or disable the mix with a switch)
- You always have the external sound in stereo in the Play2CPC connector
- You always have the internal sound in stereo in the CPC or Plus connector

so at the end you have the full mix in Mono or all independent channels in two jacks.

In my home arrangement I have two pairs of small external speakers, because I like to control individually the volume for music and sfx, but you can use an audio mixer too.

TotO

craem

Hi Abalore !!! One for me and alcon2020 cartridge !!

CraigsBar

And Paid for the 2 I had on the wait list. (2x Play2CPC boards 2 x Centronics Adaptor and Postage)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

rickyordi

The Play2CPC and the centronic adapter would be compatible with a 6128+ ?

In this case I will need one, I mainly use a 6128+.

TotO

Quote from: rickyordi on 02:05, 03 June 22The Play2CPC and the centronic adapter would be compatible with a 6128+ ?
Oui ! :)

dragon

It the same port right?. The plus and the solavox centronics port (or Schneider).

I mean the centronics adapter make it compatible with the  three models not only plus. 

TotO

I think his question was about the Plus compatibility for this CPC interface if he use the adapter. :)

rickyordi

Quote from: TotO on 07:18, 03 June 22
Quote from: rickyordi on 02:05, 03 June 22The Play2CPC and the centronic adapter would be compatible with a 6128+ ?
Oui ! :)
Thanks ! it's mainly to be able to take advantage of the other features of the Play2CPC, since the cartridge port already exists on the 6128+.

So, PM for the adapter :)

TotO

The Play2CPC boxes are here! ;)

JayBlood

Jay

Maniac

Quote from: Cwiiis on 20:13, 29 November 21
Quote from: TotO on 20:10, 28 November 21Yes, the same expansion port, but the Amstrad Plus doesn't have an internal speaker to output the mixed audio.
I imagine that you liked this comment, because you can wait for technical informations from the wiki, next. :)
We have an answer around that but not now, because some work in progress and tests to do first.

Ah, I think I understand - I guess the PlayCity relies on the whole tape-sound-interference thing to mix sound with the internal sound on a CPC464? I guess the only really viable way to mix sound on the Plus without any hardware modifications in that case would be to dedicate a channel to external sound and use DMA... I guess I should get on with making a 8-pin DIN mixer+a/v passthrough board :)

@Cwiiis have you thought any more about this?

Whilst I love the idea of surround sound from my Plus I don't have much space on my desk for extra stuff.

dragon

Quote from: abalore on 19:43, 27 May 22
Quote from: Maniac on 19:23, 27 May 22Did the solution of how to mix the extra audio in to the monitor speakers of the Plus models ever get sorted please?

That's not doable without additional elements, because you can't route anything to the audio output connector of the Plus from the expansion port. The same happens with the CPC, you can mix into the internal speaker with precise knowledge of the CPC schematics, but not into the audio jack.

So we made it in this way:

- You can hear the mix into the CPC speaker (or disable the mix with a switch)
- You always have the external sound in stereo in the Play2CPC connector
- You always have the internal sound in stereo in the CPC or Plus connector

so at the end you have the full mix in Mono or all independent channels in two jacks.

In my home arrangement I have two pairs of small external speakers, because I like to control individually the volume for music and sfx, but you can use an audio mixer too.

But the expansion  port don't receive the internal sound?.  At least can be mixed  and sound in a scart cable.

Maniac

I know but with the Plus having stereo speakers it would be great if we could mix the audio via some other route:

From that post from @Cwiiis:
"I guess I should get on with making a 8-pin DIN mixer+a/v passthrough board"

That would be my ideal scenario. I.e. take the audio out of the Play2CPC or PlayCity from its audio jack and via a mixer and connections mix that with Plus audio from monitor DIN both out the stereo monitor speakers of the Plus.

TotO

Yes, the best to do for the stereo sound (CPC or Plus) is to use the two jacks connectors and next "as peoples prefer".

- Connecting directly two pairs of PC speakers, for a 4.0 suround sound. 8)
- Mixing the two sources to one pair of PC speakers, for a stereo sound.
- Mixing the two sources to the TV set or Plus monitor, if no room left.

Cwiiis

I have a circuit I'm working on for Plus audio mixing, I hope to prototype it within the next few weeks - https://ko-fi.com/i/IF2F7CXJL5