News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PlayCity aka CTC-AY (MX4) for August !!!

Started by TotO, 13:29, 07 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ast

To see what i want to tell you, just run this demo

So you can see a big buggy screeny followed by a great reset.

I've just tested the reset 10 dsk and i can tell you that the sound you can hear is really amazing (6 ym voices) but i was happy to see that my code test (soundtracker song player ctc-ay) works really well too. i believed my code was bugged but after hearing these two examples, the musics are played in low level compared the normal way. If i say that music played on the normal way has 100% volume in my cpc plus, a music played with my playcity version has only 20% volume.

My question is (Syx, TotO, playcity users...) : is it normal ? Do i use external amplified speakers to ear musics composed for playcity ?
Thanks for answers.

I'm going on testing this wonderfull card... Bye.

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

arnoldemu

Quote from: TotO on 10:47, 29 July 14
The PlayCity vector interrupts not work on PLUS, because they are in conflict with the internal "CTC" embedded into its ASIC.
PLUS programmers have to use PLUS features for that, by detecting properly the target computer.

On CPC, the GA is not identifiable, that made IM2 interrupt unpredictables and buggy.
The firmware does detect external interrupts. It assumes that the GA interrupt will be acknowledged and will be cleared automatically. An external interrupt will hold it's interrupt request until you clear it explicitly (e.g. through a register on the interrupting device).

So the firmware re-enables interrupts inside the interrupt function to do this. If one is still active the interrupt function is called again.
So this is how they are done on CPC.

I don't know if the interrupt vector is valid twice into the interrupt routine or not.

Quote from: TotO on 10:47, 29 July 14
On a PLUS, the GA look to be set as device $00.
Yes and no. When Plus features are enabled, it's 6. When they're not enabled they do appear to be 0.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

gerald

Quote from: Ast on 12:51, 29 July 14
If i say that music played on the normal way has 100% volume in my cpc plus, a music played with my playcity version has only 20% volume.
My question is (Syx, TotO, playcity users...) : is it normal ? Do i use external amplified speakers to ear musics composed for playcity ?
Thanks for answers.
Short answer : This is normal.

Long answer :
- on a regular CPC, the SOUND pin on the extension connector is a summation (using resistors) of the 3 AY channel. This SOUND signal directly goes to the speaker amp.
The PlayCT adds its channels to the SOUND signal the same way, so there is a perfect mix of the two sources on the internal speaker.

- on a plus, the SOUND pin is still a summation of the 3 AY channel, using the same method as on a regular CPC. However, this signal is only going to the extension port.
The stereo output is build from the 3 channels at AY output and then amplified (L/R) to be sent to the screen or the audio jack.
The signal from the PlayCT is audible only because the output impedance of the AY is not perfect.

On the plus, there is no way to mix the sound from the two sources, except using both stereo jack and mixing them.

TotO

Yes, the problem is the same as trying to ear the PlayCity audio through the CPC stereo jack.
And... I was sure that PLUS speakers came from not amplified lines, like on CPC.  :-\

So, it's impossible for PLUS to ear mixed audio instead of mixing both jack first, as you said.
But it is not a real issue. Just plug a pair on 10€ PC speakers to the PlayCity and rulezzz. :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 13:34, 29 July 14
Yes, the problem is the same as trying to ear the PlayCity audio through the CPC stereo jack.
And... I was sure that PLUS owned an internal speaker too.  :-\

So, it's impossible for PLUS to ear mixed audio instead of mixing both jack first, as you said.
But it is not a real issue. Just plug a pair on 10€ PC speakers to the PlayCity and rulezzz. :D
my plan will be to fit an audio jack adaptor into the video cable and bring the plus audio and playcity audio together in a small mixer, then put it back into the plus monitor speakers
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

Sure, you can mix what you want.  ;) 
May be just more easy to put extra speakers on both side.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

My plus is already a bit cramped, spacewise
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Ast

Thanks to Gerald and TotO for your fast reply... ;D

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 13:55, 29 July 14
Sure, you can mix what you want.  ;) 
May be just more easy to put extra speakers on both side.

More speakers are better of course, Quadrophonia!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Yeaaaaa... Surround game!!!

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Ast

Another question :

; Set both YMZ294 clocks to sound like the CPC AY-3-8912
LD BC,$F880
LD HL,$7F01
OUT (C),H ; $7F = Clock
OUT (C),L  ; $01 = CPC AY

Where can i find the bits to put $7f  in $f880 channel 0 port ?

SyX

Quote from: Ast on 12:08, 31 July 14
Where can i find the bits to put $7f  in $f880 channel 0 port ?
You can take a look in the CTC datasheet that is in the PlayCity wiki page, in the page 4 appears the format of the Channel Control Word; or in the examples zip file (in the same wiki page),  take a look to the supergrafx.i include file.

Basically the control word is:
D7: Interrupt (0: Disable / 1: Enable)
D6: Mode (0: Timer / 1: Counter)
D5: Prescaler Value (0: 16 / 1: 256) *** Only in Timer mode
D4: Clock/Trigger Edge Selection (0: Falling Edge / 1: Rising Edge)
D3: Timer Trigger (0: Automatic Trigger when time constant is loaded
                    1: CLK/TRG pulse starts timer) *** Only in Timer mode
D2: Time Constant (0: No Time Constant / 1: Time Constant follows)
D1: Reset (0: Continued Operation / 1: Software Reset)
D0: Control or Vector (0: Vector / 1: Control Word)

Using $7F means:
Use CTC interrupt disabled.
Set Counter mode.
Ignore prescaler in counter mode (can be 0 or 1)
Clock Edge Selection in Rising Edge.
Ignore Timer trigger in counter mode (can be 0 or 1)
We'll give a time constant after this control word (In your example for setting the YMZs frequencies to the CPC ones)
Software Reset.
And this is a control word.

I added to the include file a few useful constants:
; Constants for Control Word
CTC_NO_INT          EQU %00000000
CTC_INT             EQU %10000000
CTC_USE_TIMER       EQU %00000000
CTC_USE_COUNTER     EQU %01000000
CTC_PRESCALER_16    EQU %00000000
CTC_PRESCALER_256   EQU %00100000
CTC_FALLING_EDGE    EQU %00000000
CTC_RISING_EDGE     EQU %00010000
CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER    EQU %00000000
CTC_CLK_TRIGGER     EQU %00001000
CTC_NO_CONSTANT     EQU %00000000
CTC_CONSTANT        EQU %00000100
CTC_NO_RESET        EQU %00000000
CTC_RESET           EQU %00000010
CTC_VECTOR          EQU %00000000
CTC_CONTROL         EQU %00000001 

; Typical values
CTC_START_TIMER16   EQU CTC_NO_INT|CTC_USE_TIMER|CTC_PRESCALER_16|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_START_TIMER256  EQU CTC_NO_INT|CTC_USE_TIMER|CTC_PRESCALER_256|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_START_ITIMER16  EQU CTC_INT|CTC_USE_TIMER|CTC_PRESCALER_16|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_START_ITIMER256 EQU CTC_INT|CTC_USE_TIMER|CTC_PRESCALER_256|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_START_COUNTER   EQU CTC_NO_INT|CTC_USE_COUNTER|CTC_PRESCALER_256|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_START_ICOUNTER  EQU CTC_INT|CTC_USE_COUNTER|CTC_PRESCALER_256|CTC_RISING_EDGE|CTC_AUTO_TRIGGER|CTC_CONSTANT|CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL
CTC_STOP_CHANNEL    EQU CTC_RESET|CTC_CONTROL

And instead of $7F you can use the constant CTC_START_COUNTER.

Ast

That's ok for me. I didn't know if all registers used the same bits control. Thanks for your help.i continue my research...

TotO

As promised, the PlayCity is available !!!  :o 

- 6 audio channels with programmable clock. (CPC, ZX, ST, ...)
- 4 counter/timer for programmable interrupt. (including NMI)
- IM2 vectorized and raster lines interrupt.
- CRTC hardware CURSOR support.
- 16bit general purpose Timer.
- Light pen/gun connector.

Born from the same project[nb]CTC-AY[/nb], it will be the best X-MEM friend for big games and audio programs.
All those features on a MX4 board for 19.90€...[nb]Only.  :laugh: [/nb]

dcdrac

Quick question about the minibooster if I read right you plug it into the cpc run the software and plug in the USB cable to connect it to the PC then transfer the files?

TotO

Yes, that is an usage of the MiniBooster for transferring files between PC and CPC. :)
(you can does that wireless too, using an optional bluetooth module)

TFM

Just to understand it right, the PlayCity is the CTC-AY with an additional light-gun connector. Right? (Asking because my CTC-AY does have a couple of pins of unknown function, but not the light-gun connector. Which is no problem, since the signals are on the exp-port anyway).  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: TFM on 20:44, 04 August 14
Just to understand it right, the PlayCity is the CTC-AY with an additional light-gun connector. Right? (Asking because my CTC-AY does have a couple of pins of unknown function, but not the light-gun connector. Which is no problem, since the signals are on the exp-port anyway).  :)
Shhhh, you have one of the prototypes, jejeje.

Yes, the PlayCity is exactly the same + the light gun signals for making easier to support light guns and pens from other systems.

NiNxPe

Hi ! (sorry for my poor english  :'( )

I do not know if this is already planned, a crossdev software expected to fully use all these devices?
Because in my mind I imagine a fucking SOFTWARE able to get any type of games ... and even applications!
In short, use a PC software can do it all without programming knowledge.
And do not tell me it will be a purist to use it all !!!
We agree that even though the basic idea is to have extensions that "could" be invented at the time, ...when they have never even exist.
So I cross fingers for a super crossdev soft (a WYSIWIG?) appears one day. (We will choose the outset what kind of games created (platforms, shoot, adventure, etc ...) and software for converting images, a sprite editor, a maps editor, a sound tracker, all in ONE software and, at the end, able to compile all of it.
Gods of Crocodiles, hear my prayer ...  :P 

SyX

@NiNxPe: Not supporting these boards, but there is already software for making CPC games more or less easy, we have the Arcade Game Designer (last version is here), but besides of EgoTrip, nobody has used.

And with nobody using it, why should the author wasting time in improving the CPC version? Lucky for us, he is working in improve it, but with more CPC feedback, i'm sure that he will feel more encouraged to work in the CPC version.

If you take a look to the wiki thread, you will see the typical derailing about why doesn't support feature X or Y? Since when an application needs to be perfect from day 0? Or in other words, why a CPC game needs to use the 100% of the CPC? There is a lot of great small games that would use a 10% of the CPC resources and it would be fantastic to play in our machines.

Now it's when you tell me that AGD is a CPC native application. Yes, that is true... but there is a windows tool, TommyGun AGD, that let you make games for the speccy version of AGD in a friendly way and the author said that if people was interested, he could add AGD CPC support too.

Without people testing and giving feedback is impossible that those projects reach any usable state. Somebody interested in the future of this project should show his interest in the AGD board.

Another example, less friendly because is based in a few programs instead of one only, it's the Mojon Twins´s Churrera, a game engine based in  z88dk with a few assembly libraries, a tilemap editor and a script compiler, ...  making a really nice cross-development system that has been used in around 80 games (90% of them for ZX, but it has been used in CPC, NES, ZX81, Megadrive, SNES, ...).

I feel is a good idea update the CPC version to the last one available and translate the tutorials about making games in the churrera. Maybe i could do it fast, after all i have a lot of that code converted already (and even a spectrum churrera using the Arkos player)... but every CPC MT's game has been criticized for being slow and has a similar look and i hope to get those same complains and the same null feedback.

TFM

Well, this is going offtopic, but let me join... Sometimes I have a strange feeling about people... it's ... like some of them....

-Irony mode on-  ;)

- First they want the super über mega Software which supports everything and is totally easy to use. So every noob *could* make a game. But people who ask for that are not willing to pay for the professional software company and their 70 programmer, who are needed to finish up such a project in 3 years.

- Second they ask for somebody to use this super software and make games for them. Of course they are to lazy to use this software by themselves, even if it is perfect.

- Then they want all that new games to be totally perfect and better than on PC. Also they have to be boxed, free and you get $10 with them just for taking them.

- Now they want a youtube video because they are still to lazy to play the game by themselves

- Finally they need somebody reviewing the game, so that they know what they should think about it.

Well, good for us, we don't have that guys in the CPC scene.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

NiNxPe2

Mon anglais doit vraiment être nul pour ne pas saisir ce que j'ai voulu exprimer surtout quand je lis TFM.
J'essayais juste de dire qu'avec ces super périf XMEM PlayCity des outils seront développés pour en tirer parti
J'ai juste un peut dévié à imaginer une sorte de AGD "DX" avec des feature pour ces cartes
Maintenant de la a dire des bêtises sur les noobs ça va c est bon c'est tout le temps le même refrain
Et puis quand a parler de communauté CPC je trouve justement qu au niveau des dev chaque routines astuce et autre de développement sur notre machine est jalousement garder comme un trésor et pas partagé

TotO

Tu as oublié ton mot de passe ? :D
C'est marrant, mais en écrivant "I imagine a fucking SOFTWARE" j'ai tout de suite pensé que tu étais français.

Perso, j'ai compris la même chose qu'eux...
Tu imagines un gamemaker avec convertisseur de ressources sur PC qui permettrait de faire des jeux pour CPC sans aucune connaissance en programmation et qui utiliseraient les capacités de ces cartes.

La réponse de TFM est juste l'extrapolation de ta pensée. Une fois cet outils réalisé, ceux qui ne s'impliquent dans rien n'en feront rien.
Pire, il ne payeront pas pour ce travail et ça sera aux autres de faire des jeux pour eux... Et je rejoins pleinement sa vision des choses, car c'est déjà plus ou moins le cas sur d'autres machines.

Ta dernière phrase (in french) sur le non partage des routines de la communauté me fait étrangement penser à une personne qui a encore posté la semaine dernière sur cpc-rulez et qui c'est ramassé les foudres du forum, parce que c'est faux.

La communauté CPC aide, elle partage, ce WIKI en est la preuve même.
Des sources, il y en a des tonnes, le code sources et les resources complètes de R-Type 128K sont dispo et ce n'est pas le seul.
Le truc, c'est que ça ne sert seulement à ceux qui se donnent la peine de s'investir.

Apprendre à pêcher et non demander du poisson !  8)

English version:
Spoiler: ShowHide
You forgot your password?
It's funny, but writing "I imagine a fucking SOFTWARE" I immediately thought that you were French. :D

Personally, I understood the same thing they did ...
You imagine a gamemaker with resources converter on PC that would allow to make games for CPC without any programming knowledge. (using those boards  capabilities)

TFM just extrapolating your mind. Once this tool made​​, those who are involved in anything will not do anything with it.
Worse, it will not pay for this work and it will be up to others to make games for them ... And I fully agree with his vision, because that's more or less the case on other machines.

Your last sentence (in french) on the non-sharing routines of the community makes me strangely reminiscent of a person who posted last week on cpc-rulez and this is picked up the wrath of the forum, because it is false.

CPC community help, share, and this WIKI is the same evidence.
There are tons of data and source codes available, i.e. R-Type 128K and it is not the only one.
The thing is that it does serves only to those who bother to invest.

Learn to fish, don't ask the fish!  8)