News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Plus2CPC. Plus cartridge slot for the CPC

Started by abalore, 09:35, 27 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

abalore

Quote from: Bryce on 13:13, 17 June 21
You must have stretched the pins to their limit to do that. Obviously the better solution would be to make a double footprint on the layout to allow both types of connector.

Bryce.
Absolutely. In case of doing the IDC version I'll change the footprint

abalore

Quote from: Bryce on 13:13, 17 June 21
You must have stretched the pins to their limit to do that. Obviously the better solution would be to make a double footprint on the layout to allow both types of connector.

Bryce.
Done

zhulien

Quote from: abalore on 11:54, 17 June 21
Sure. Just to clarify, you want the IDC connector so the board lays horizontally and the cartridge is in vertical?

I prefer both vertical

ajcasado

Thanks for the advice @abalore .I'll use only the ram expansion.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

RockRiver

Please add me to the list. Add some boards for me, please...
one for edge , one for centronics and the third for mx4... all with (3d printed) case and Reset button. I'll buy some new C4CPC Yeahhh
A standard , re-birth... CPR , thanks Gerald and gx4000 people. And now Abalore.
(I suppose that famous "gx4000 ports" (not plus features) of CPC Classic works without problem)
Thanks for your great idea, Abalore

CPR for all the People !!!!
Fast Food for our loved system ha ha ha  ;D
if works, will be a Must Be Done for emulators

abalore

Quote from: RockRiver on 14:28, 19 June 21
Please add me to the list. Add some boards for me, please...
one for edge , one for centronics and the third for mx4... all with (3d printed) case and Reset button. I'll buy some new C4CPC Yeahhh
A standard , re-birth... CPR , thanks Gerald and gx4000 people. And now Abalore.
(I suppose that famous "gx4000 ports" (not plus features) of CPC Classic works without problem)
Thanks for your great idea, Abalore
Yes, ports that don't use plus features work well. I also tried ROM games (with a simple loader) and converted dsk (with nocart), and everything works fine.
Your order has been added to the list!

Philippe Lardenois

Hi Abalore, interested in a V4 with Reset to send to France. MP if it's ok.
Thanks for this interesting product.
Phil

zhulien

Quote from: abalore on 08:48, 17 June 21
For the MX4 I use a small IDC to edge adapter. But I can do a small batch with IDC connector if at least 5 people want it.

Anyone tried a commercial Plus game on the CPC yet?

Redbug

RedBug/Crazy Piri
Crazy Piri's productions are available on itch.io
AMSnews.fr, a new french information site about the Amstrad. Be the first to know.

Shining

Quote from: zhulien on 05:23, 24 June 21

Anyone tried a commercial Plus game on the CPC yet?

Which commercial plus game is not using plus features?
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

robcfg

I guess the question is if it would work but without the Plus features.

RockRiver

Quote from: Shining on 07:54, 25 June 21

Which commercial plus game is not using plus features?
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mystical_(cartridge)
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Barbarian_2_(cartridge)

[ Ayor61 is working in a Barbarian II CPR version with real Plus Palette features ... ] [I love that covertions of Ayor61 for Plus Palette, thanks mate!!]

andycadley

Quote from: robcfg on 11:18, 25 June 21
I guess the question is if it would work but without the Plus features.
It would probably do something, quite what might depend a lot on how things are structured. Any attempt to actually use Plus features would end up corrupting RAM instead (since the ASIC registers won't be present to shadow out writes). Whether that matters in many of the cart games that were cheap dumps may depend on what exactly they have stored in that RAM at the time.

But if you're hoping to be able to play the properly Plus titles like Burnin' Rubber, RoboCop 2 or Navy Seals it's just not going to go well at all.

GUNHED

One question ... maybe I didn't see being asked before.

The 6128plus has some "special" ROM banking, does the Plus2CPC support that too?

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

gerald

For the brave that have a Plus2CPC and a C4CPC, here is a updated version of CprSelect that handle both Plus and CPC.
If you see any issue with it, just report  ;)

abalore

Quote from: gerald on 17:23, 28 June 21
For the brave that have a Plus2CPC and a C4CPC, here is a updated version of CprSelect that handle both Plus and CPC.
If you see any issue with it, just report  ;)
Absolutely awesome and fast work  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Phantomz

Quote from: gerald on 17:23, 28 June 21For the brave that have a Plus2CPC and a C4CPC, here is a updated version of CprSelect that handle both Plus and CPC.
If you see any issue with it, just report 

@gerald

Thanks for this will check it out, if and when can get hold of a Plus2CPC.

andycadley

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:25, 26 June 21

The 6128plus has some "special" ROM banking, does the Plus2CPC support that too?
I'd assume it's very unlikely, given that would require the device to listen out for the ASIC unlock/lock sequence and handle gate array writes to RMR2 (I'm not even sure how the old GA acts if you write to it with the bit pattern of RMR2 - you weren't supposed to, but I guess disabling it when the ASIC was locked is probably because the old hardware ignored that bit)

abalore

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:25, 26 June 21

Part of the Plus ROM mapping is supported:
ROM numbers starting at 128 are directly mapped into the cartridge ROM:
- 128 to slot 0 (first 16K)
- 129 to slot 1 (second 16K)
- and so on...

For ROM numbers lower than 128 the Plus mapping is applied:

- Lower ROM is mapped to slot 0
- BASIC ROM (Upper ROM 0) is mapped to slot 1
- AMSDOS ROM (Upper ROM 7) is mapped to slot 3

This allows running cartridges with full operating system replacements (Lower, BASIC and AMSDOS).
On the other hand, the Plus bank switching performed by the RMR2 register is not supported.

GUNHED

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

dragon

Don't worry about RMR2.

Nocart automatically fit all the first 8 roms of the cartridge..So the conversions can't use it to set the lower rom... And if someone use it in a cartridge made from zero, probably was made to use another plus features..

abalore

Quote from: dragon on 00:43, 30 June 21
Don't worry about RMR2.

Nocart automatically fit all the first 8 roms of the cartridge..So the conversions can't use it to set the lower rom... And if someone use it in a cartridge made from zero, probably was made to use another plus features..
That's It. I use a modified Nocart version to fit several dsk into one cartridge in order to use the full 512k.

Syncmaster319

Hi,

I would love an IDC version for my MX4 board.

Thanks in advance,  great work!
Mark

zhulien

has anyone got the Amstrad magazine which had the CPC 664 with Plus Upgrade?  (I think it was an april fools joke, but couldn't find which magazine or year it was)

GUNHED

Thanks a lot for the Plus2CPC, it arrived and it's just awesome!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)