Author Topic: Plus2CPC. Plus cartridge slot for the CPC  (Read 11678 times)

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
Re: Plus2CPC. Plus cartridge slot for the CPC
« Reply #150 on: 18:11, 04 October 21 »
Is there a way @abalore to launch a 32K or 48k rom from the cartridge ? 16k roms are ok for me. But wonder if it's possible ?
Do you mean a multi ROM converted game, like Pyjamarama (2 ROMS)? Most likely not without patching it. Because they have been converted for a very specific situation. You may need to find the ROM switching routine and adapt it to work with your ROM numbers.
If we are talking of a game designed for cartridge, like Alcon, of course you can have 32K, 48K and up to 512K.
No reactions

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: 17:19, 05 October 21 »
After helping a friend to configure his system with MX4 board + M4 board + Plus2CPC, I can give some advices to make it all run flawlessly.
In the M4 board, do not use the slots 0,1,2. Also set the "Rom number" to other than those, and keep the option "Lower-rom Enabled" off.
With this setup, you should be able to switch between Plus2CPC and M4 just by using the switch button in the Plus2CPC.
No reactions

Offline Philippe Lardenois

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: 15:27, 06 October 21 »
Thanks Abalore

Cheers.
Phil
No reactions

Offline 00WReX

• 6128 Plus
  • The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • CPCwiki
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: 02:15, 07 October 21 »
@abalore
@Philippe Lardenois

Hello,

I am interested in using these games compilations on my GX.

I am wondering if the compilation cpr's that you have created are using the games that have been converted to run on the GX4000 (no keyboard interaction required).
I'm not sure how others feel, but my thought is that .cpr files should maintaion GX compatibility as much as possible.

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Converted_GX4000_Software

Cheers,
Shane
No reactions
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: 11:39, 07 October 21 »
I'm not sure how others feel, but my thought is that .cpr files should maintaion GX compatibility as much as possible.
Hello,

There are many games that are not converted to GX (they require keyboard, or 128KB), and there is no reason for a CPC user to not enjoy them using the Plus2CPC board.
This is a thread about the Plus2CPC, so the files uploaded here are meant to work on it. Some will work on the GX, some others not, but it's not a must.
Regards
Members reacted like:
eto,

Offline 00WReX

• 6128 Plus
  • The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    • CPCwiki
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: 12:36, 07 October 21 »
Fair enough, I was not intending to offend anyone.

I think this project is a great idea.
I'm want to purchase one myself, I will PM you.
Thanks for the compilations, I can at least try them on Dukes M4 board until I get a Plus2CPC myself.

Cheers,

Shane
No reactions
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Offline khaz

• 464 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: 15:23, 24 October 21 »
This is a great project! I was away from the scene a bit but I believe this is CPC cartridges done right.

As for asking for extra stuff on the adapter side, I think the simplicity of the design means it can be adapted and improved without breaking compatibility with the cartridges. This is the beauty of it.

If this gets traction, I can see myself buying physical releases like from poly.play as cartridges, with a simple adapter at first and upgrading the adapter as more complex designs are created that would fit my needs, all without breaking compatibility.
No reactions

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: 15:51, 24 October 21 »
I love the idea as well and I'm super happy to support this as developer, to the extent of my abilities of course :D

If you ask me, what does this need to be PERFECT? I would say:
  • The Plus2CPC should be be open hardware, and it should be as easy as possible for people to build/buy the adapter. Meanwhile, a number of existing add-ons can load CPR files (and emulators support it).
  • Same for the cart PCB; and I don't know if those are available already, but same point: easy and cheap to build, so the resulting physical edition is as cheap as possible.
  • I don't know about this one but... are the shells for the CPC+ cartridges available? Ideally we would have an alternative to 3D printing. The DES approach to this is not bad, what do people think about that?

At least the last two things from that list need to happen before we see a physical release (and I believe DES is already there); say with Poly Play quality -big box, manual, poster, etc-.

I always release my games as free download first, so it doesn't really affect me too much; but if people want a physical release on cartridge, initially it will be harder than cassette or 3" disc.
« Last Edit: 15:52, 24 October 21 by reidrac »
No reactions
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse and Brick Rick for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: 18:35, 24 October 21 »
The Plus2CPC should be be open hardware, and it should be as easy as possible for people to build/buy the adapter. Meanwhile, a number of existing add-ons can load CPR files (and emulators support it).
I agree. It will be at some point.

• Same for the cart PCB; and I don't know if those are available already, but same point: easy and cheap to build, so the resulting physical edition is as cheap as possible.

I'm using this one: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/amstrad-gx4000-plus-cartridge-pcb/

• I don't know about this one but... are the shells for the CPC+ cartridges available? Ideally we would have an alternative to 3D printing. The DES approach to this is not bad, what do people think about that?
I disagree with using other formats than the Plus cartridge, for several reasons:

- 464Plus, 6128Plus and GX4000 users already have all the required hardware. So any game released in this format will be directly playable for them, without buying anything else.
- The Plus cartridge format is an original design by Amstrad. That makes it a more valuable item for retro lovers, at least for me. Using an alien GBA cartridge in our beloved CPCs is just not the same feeling.
- The Plus2CPC adapter is really cheap, because of its simple design.
- 3D printing the cartridge shells is not a problem for me, I'm starting tests with a resin printer which will allow to print hundreds of high quality shells in short time.

Members reacted like:
robcfg,reidrac,Cwiiis,eto,

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: 20:34, 24 October 21 »
- 3D printing the cartridge shells is not a problem for me, I'm starting tests with a resin printer which will allow to print hundreds of high quality shells in short time.

That's fine!

My point was that if (and this is a big if) I'm going to make a physical release, I won't be 3D printing the shells.
No reactions
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse and Brick Rick for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: 21:15, 24 October 21 »
That's fine!

My point was that if (and this is a big if) I'm going to make a physical release, I won't be 3D printing the shells.
I'll post my experience printing the shells for Alcon here. Only time will say if it's a good idea.
Members reacted like:
reidrac,

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: 21:20, 29 October 21 »
My first try of a resin 3D printed cartridge. It's a one block model for the PCB to be loaded from the bottom.
(to the forum admin: please allow JPEG extension for attachments, so I don't need to rename all of them to JPG)

Members reacted like:
reidrac,00WReX,ajcasado,Maniac,Gryzor,Rity,XeNoMoRPH,

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: 19:52, 02 November 21 »
Number of cartridges in a single print: 8

Time: 5h

Time per cartridge: < 40m

Members reacted like:
Rity,XeNoMoRPH,eto,Gryzor,

Offline GUNHED

• 6128 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
    • FutureOS - The quickest OS for the CPC and Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: 17:03, 03 November 21 »
WoW! They really look awesome. Since quite a long time I try to find a source for Cartridges. Hopefully they are available for the community soon (PCBs and ACIDs are done since years).
No reactions
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2021.01.24)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.07.15)

Offline Skunkfish

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Editor of Colour Personal Computing
    • CPCSTORE.CO.UK - Dedicated to the Amstrad CPC
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: 17:46, 03 November 21 »
They look pretty good! How does the PCB stay in place?
No reactions
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 3 of CPC Fanzine!)

Offline abalore

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: 19:14, 03 November 21 »
They look pretty good! How does the PCB stay in place?
I have two versions: removable and fixed.

The removable has a screw through the PCB hole. The screw is later hidden under the label sticker.

In the fixed version the PCB is just glued to the rails with epoxi resin.

Both versions have also a cap inserted in the bottom that hides the circuitry.
Members reacted like:
eto,