News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Possible to convert dsk-images to rom for MegaFlash?

Started by emuola, 08:43, 12 October 12

Previous topic - Next topic

emuola

This just might be the noobiest question ever made in this forum, but this just occurred to me after reading some similar stuff from msx.org. There's an utility for msx called dsk2rom that converts 720k dsk-images to rom-files. Would this be possible/feasible with Amstrad (and somekind of a multirom cart)? It would be cool to load some of the favourite dsk-games super fast :)
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

Bryce

As a standard ROMBoard is divided into 16K pages, it's rather difficult to put an entire disk on a ROMBoard, however some smaller games have already been converted to ROM, you can find a few of them here (at the very end of the list): ROM Table - CPCWiki
It would make more sense to convert disks or games to Cartridge ROMs, but these would only work on a Plus of course.

Bryce.

emuola

Quote from: Bryce on 08:53, 12 October 12
As a standard ROMBoard is divided into 16K pages, it's rather difficult to put an entire disk on a ROMBoard, however some smaller games have already been converted to ROM, you can find a few of them here (at the very end of the list): ROM Table - CPCWiki
It would make more sense to convert disks or games to Cartridge ROMs, but these would only work on a Plus of course.

Bryce.

Actually I meant the Cartridge roms (and thus Plus), sorry for not being accurate here Bryce :) That would be feasible?

SyX

Of course, it was made a long time ago, take a look to no$cart  ;)

emuola

Quote from: SyX on 09:07, 12 October 12
Of course, it was made a long time ago, take a look to no$cart  ;)

I should have known someone already did this :D Awesome! Now I only need a multi-cart for my Plus ;)

Bryce

My current 4way MultiCart needs an ACID IC, but I have a new 16x ACIDless MultiCart in the design phase, which I hope to release soon.

Bryce.

emuola

Quote from: Bryce on 09:43, 12 October 12
My current 4way MultiCart needs an ACID IC, but I have a new 16x ACIDless MultiCart in the design phase, which I hope to release soon.

Bryce.

I hope I'd hear something like this from you Bryce  :) Waiting anxiously!

Bryce

I've been working on it for a while, but I've hit a small technical hitch with a feature I really want it to have. I'll tell more as soon as I have everything working.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: BryceMy current 4way MultiCart needs an ACID IC, but I have a new 16x ACIDless MultiCart in the design phase, which I hope to release soon.

Bryce.
...Of course you do.

TFM

If you like to run your favorite game from the MegaFlash (or other ROM board) then I can help you. But the limitation is, that no file is longer than 31 KB.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM/FS on 15:19, 12 October 12
If you like to run your favorite game from the MegaFlash (or other ROM board) then I can help you. But the limitation is, that no file is longer than 31 KB.
31k?
not 64k?
1 rom + 3 extension roms?
+ loose some bytes for rom header in each?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:51, 12 October 12
31k?
not 64k?
1 rom + 3 extension roms?
+ loose some bytes for rom header in each?
ahh yes, a limited amount that can be loaded in one go into the flash manager program?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

To explain the 31 KB border. I'm just using RGen from the Inicrons. And RGen is limited to 31 KB. My time is very limited, so I offer this as compromise.

You can get RGen as part of the Softburner ROM at the http://www.inicron.de homepage. But it has some flaws (f.e. does not automatically generate a checksum when generating and saving a ROM). And I know well to deal with them.

I thought about a ROMdisc, but have not time at the moment.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

If anyone has the sudden urge to write a new program to convert discs or programs greater than 31K, then feel free. I can supply all the hardware details and I'm sure TFM and others can supply all the software tricks required. The only limitation seems to be time, which none of us seem to have :(

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: BryceIf anyone has the sudden urge to write a new program to convert discs or programs greater than 31K, then feel free. I can supply all the hardware details and I'm sure TFM and others can supply all the software tricks required. The only limitation seems to be time, which none of us seem to have

Bryce.
Why not design a board for that?

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:18, 13 October 12

Quote from: Bryce on 00:32, 13 October 12
The only limitation seems to be time, which none of us seem to have :(

Bryce is so right :laugh:  ... sadly :(
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:18, 13 October 12

Like a kind of MultiFace that dumps to Flash? Or a just to convert a disk to ROM?

(I don't have time for either :D )

With clever software you could get the MegaFlash to do this probably.

Bryce.

TFM

One of my projects on hold is a ROM-disc which works like RDOS but uses the MegaFlash or SF2 ROMs between 16 and 31 for simulating a disc, very much like the RAM disc provided by Dobbertins RDOS. Instead of drive C, it would be drive R through.
Slowly I get interrestet in that idea again  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: BryceQuote from: Gryzor on 13 October 2012, 12:18:23Why not design a board for that?
Like a kind of MultiFace that dumps to Flash? Or a just to convert a disk to ROM?

(I don't have time for either )

With clever software you could get the MegaFlash to do this probably.

Bryce.
No, I actually meant design a board to compress life within a time frame. Or expand time.

TFM

If you do that you will get in serious(!) troubles with some government agencies! Seriously! Sunglasses up! 8) 
TFM of FutureSoft