News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problem 6128 warm loading rtype reloaded

Started by bene78, 10:16, 02 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

bene78

Hello everyone,

I have a CPC 6128, with a PT board NO Z70290, MC0057A with the 40007 and the heatsink.

With cold CPC, the rtype reloaded game loads perfectly, and can be played without any problem
With CPC on hot, within a few minutes of being on, the rtype reloaded game no longer loads.
I have verified that as the CPC gets warmer, different events occur when loading the game that are reflected in the disk drive:
With the CPC cold, the drive moves at normal speed.
When the CPC starts to heat up, the game (the drive) loads faster and I get a pink screen.
When it gets even hotter, the game no longer loads and the screen goes black, and the drive acts differently than the first states. It's all very strange.
Obviously I have tried with a different drive and with an external gotek and the same thing happens in all cases, so I discard the drives.
I have also tried with the hot drive to copy with Discology and everything does it correctly.

The moment I open the box and it airs out a bit, everything is back to normal. The game loads fine.

The memories on the right side of the PCB feel hot, which I imagine is due to the proximity to the 40007 and its heatsink which radiates to the assembly.

This only happens to me with this game. Apparently the rest of the ones I've tried seem to work fine all the time.

When it has been hot for a long time, with a laser thermometer, the 40007 heatsink is around 40º, and the closest memories reach approximately 50º. But when it has been on for a few minutes and the memories are already at 30º, it does not load either.

I have seen that the same thing happened to the user jonnixx with two 6128 of this post
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/re-quick-and-dirty-ram-test-for-cpc/ but I don't see if it fixes it.

I have tried the test from https://github.com/llopis/amstrad-diagnostics since I don't have to test through ROMs and everything works fine.

I have no problem changing a chip but I need to know what to do first.

If anyone can give me any ideas with similar problem I would appreciate it.

Cheers!!!
good