News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

progress of ide/8255 for CPC

Started by rpalmer, 12:04, 21 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

...just a question: if the IDE-Device is connected to CPC Expansion Port, is it possible connect more device then (ROM/RAM-Card)? Is the Port looped through the device? How did you activate your roms?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

rpalmer

hi hal 6128,

The interface does not yet have a through connector (I am still trying to work out how to put one on it). Bryce supplied me with the classic connectors and these have short PCB leads, so to put a through connector is going to be a difficult task.

I have managed to get one on a test one, but the soldering was somewhat ugly to see. The 'good' pic attached shows that one side was soldered ok, but the reverse side required me to solded additional wires to bridge a gap which appear less that what i liked.  It does work, but again is very unsightly.

The ROM automatically startup.

My setup to test with a rom board is shown in attached picture.  The bottom ROM is 'utopia". The next two are HDOS and drivers ROM.

rpalmer

TFM

Quote from: rpalmer on 21:54, 24 June 11
The drivers rom support both LBA and CHS disc.

Will you release basic sources for write / read a sector in LBA mode?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Blurredman

Would you ever be publicising the schematics and software?  :D

rpalmer

hello Blurredman,
The schematics are in the public domain, for that is where i got the details from.
The drivers software source is available free, just PM your email so that I can sent it to you.

The source for HDOS has been release in beta version (but did have a few issues and had many missing features of the Release 1 version).

On note about buying the Interface and software, the postal charges for Air delivery are about half that is shown in the spreadsheet.
People who have already bought the items have had some of the  postage refunds issued.

rpalmer

Blurredman

Is it possible to purchase it as a kit? ;D

rpalmer

blurredman,

I am only at the moment selling the items pre-built as I prefer to make sure that the interface works before i sell it to anyone.

The most time consuming task is making the PCB as I am using the toner trasnfer method on a double sided blank PCB.  Each board gets its own serial number.

When there are sufficient quantities being bought, I will then consider selling the items in a kit form.

rpalmer

rpalmer

Well people,

I have made 3 more boards for purchase along with the remaining 2 boards from the first build session.

I also have two more boards being built (they are just etched boards with no bits soldered on).

For those who wish to purchase one of these, you can PM me your requests for the board.

To date there have been a number of boards sent via the post to those who asked for them.

I have another 7 8255 chips and have now got another 7 blank PCBs that can be etched and made into interfaces.

I have updated the spreadsheet a little as the postal costs are now adjusted for my previous posts (I also adjusted the calculations as the postal costs are on a per interface basis).

I believe I am close to getting a CF Card adapter to work with the interface (the current version had a wrong connection and it failed to register as a master or slave consistently).

regards
rpalmer

arnoldemu

very nice.

I see you have added some nice pages about the hardware.

Please when you have time add more detailed information, especially the i/o port decoding. So if you have partially decoded it, please give info about which address lines are important and their values. This information can often be left out.. but it is important.

I will now see if I can liberate an old 8255 from my father, and in the future build my own copy of it from your designs.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

@arnoldemu: The 8255 can still be bought from most electronics suppliers.

Bryce.

rpalmer

hello all,

I still have 5 interfaces available to be bought which connect to the classic CPC and can make versions with a 50 Pin header for those who wish to connect it to other CPC models via a cable like that used by bryce.

If anyone else would like me to build them please let me know and i will get to it.

I am already building one for hal6128 and will soon have that one completed, however I cannot check it like the classic interface connection as I don't use a pin header and cable.  I will however perform details checks on the tracks to make sure they act as expected.

regards
rpalmer

Bryce

I could always make you one of those cables for your tests, but I'm sure you can get the parts there and make one yourself if you wanted.

Bryce.