News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pros & Cons HxC SD-Interface

Started by CPCIak, 13:07, 11 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Any new firmware/software/manager versions while I was getting married? :)

nurgle

Just for the record: My HxC SD-Interface is running just fine as drive 0 via ABBA switch.

Ynot.zer0

thanks to eliot and the cpc parts web site, I got some much needed parts for my internal CPC6128 cable to HxC device.  I now have the 3" drive replaced with the HxC device.  I can use Drive A, no problems.  I can use the Boot Loader Manager and insert .HFE discs, no problems.  In fact, all is good and I'm very happy with the device and the usage.  I can even have my SF2 connected and use lots of ROMs too.

...but..(and there is always a but)... I still cannot figure out how to get the HxC device to show me Drive B (I've inserted a .HFE image into Drive B, rebooted and when I do |b:cat, I just see the content of Drive A).
The jumper is set to:
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
[.][ ][ ][ ]
[.][ ][ ][ ]
which should tell the device that it is Drive A. If anyone knows how I can overcome this "minor" niggle, I'd really appreciate it!
As I made a custom internal cable to go from the 26pin to 34pin connector, can someone tell me what cables (pin#) I need to cut and connect to a switch to make an ABBA switch? (I took a look at the wiki article but maybe I'm being thick  ???  but I cannot figure out what cable/pin# I'm meant to attach the switch too)

UPDATE: After receiving a new HxC SDCard device today, I did a FAT32 format (not quick format) on a new Transend 2Gb card, put the HXC20.ROM into the SF2 card.  ran |HXC and wow! I'd not seen the new version of the Manager - it is truly great!
I understand the Slot concept now.  I can get 10 DSK/HFE discs, one into each slot and then by pressing the right button, I can swap out the DSK/HFE disc for the next one in the queue (same as removing a real disc and putting in a new one).  This is totally awesome! and removes any need for me to faff about trying to do stuff with Drive B.  Maybe I just didn't get the Slot concept or my old HxC SDCard wasn't at the latest version or something.  Am a very happy customer now...... time to get converting all my DSK files to HFE now....

norecess

Glad the manager works as a charm on your side  :)

iainjh

Hi

A good few months ago I posted asking what I could do with my 464+ , if could add a floppy or a flash interface etc. At the time I got some great replies but the gist was - add floppy interface if got the parts and skills ( but still no rom) add a DDI-1, regret it only having 64k etc

Well now I have one of lothareks sd card HxC's for an atari, and as luck would have it i now have a chance to swap / get me a DDI-1 from a friend !

My questions are then, please-

A could I boot all/most games from the HxC via attached DDI?
b is the memory on the 464+ going to be a problem , is all going to work smoothly
C would I have any problems with drive numbers with the above?
D or still best to get a 6128..  Or investigate if adding an internal floppy Interface etc was viable

Ta for help guys! Im getting there:)

steve

The difficulty is getting the parts, do you have the information necessary to install the upgrades?, the disk rom is already in the cartridge.

You need to confirm that the ddi-1 will plug into your 464+ I do not know if the two roms will clash, I think the ddi rom will override the cartridge rom.

The PCB is designed for 128KB ram so if you can get the parts you can upgrade to 128K.

iainjh

Hi

The friend actually doesn't yet know if it's a DDI-1 or an FD1(?). I should hear soon.

All I presently have is the 464plus and a burnin rubber/ basic cart. Is that what you mean has this 'rom' I heard about ? See, I don't know if that's an extra dos or, well anything sorry.

Sorry neither do I have details of parts needed for adding on motherboard floppy interface or more ram so if anyone could post those (or please pm me) as well as my other questions.. Well that'd be ace!

Thanks for your reply!:)

norecess

Actually, all 64Kb machines are compatible ! I took special care in not using the 6128's banks for the manager. Regarding the HxC Floppy Emulator itself, it's absolutely not related to memory.

steve

The key component in determining whether you can add a disk controller to the 464+ is the SED 9420 data separator, I do not know where to get this from or even if it is possible to get one at all, if you cannot find one of these you cannot upgrade your machine to disk.

It would probably be simpler and cheaper to buy a CPC6128.

I have a 464+ but because I cannot find a data separator I have just bought a 6128+, probably for less than the disk upgrade components would have cost me.

Yes the basic cartridge contains the "firmware" of the machine including disk control functions.

Whether it is a ddi-1 or fd-1 does not matter, get it if you can since the fd-1 which is included with a ddi-1 can be used as a second drive attached to your 6128 if you get one, although if you get an hxc sd interface you won't need a second drive.

Gryzor

Nobody mentioned that there has been a new release for both the PC software and the firmware (though of little interest to CPC users):

Software:
04/09/2010: HxCFloppyEmulator 1.3.14.0
-> New file Support : Prophet IMG File format.
-> ST/MSA : Track skew corrected.
-> ST : Disk geometry detection corrected/enhanced : All ST files should work now.
-> GUI: Settings and last used path are now saved.
-> "Load RAW Image" : New "Skew" parameter.
-> HFE file Writer : Speed up while writing to a sdcard.
-> IPF : CAPSImg.dll removed to be in conformance with the SPS license.

Firmware:
05/09/2010: Firmware SD HxCFloppyEmulator v1.3.0.2
    - Shugart & PC interface mode behavior corrected.

MiguelSky

Quote from: steve on 02:15, 16 September 10The key component in determining whether you can add a disk controller to the 464+ is the SED 9420 data separator, I do not know where to get this from or even if it is possible to get one at all, if you cannot find one of these you cannot upgrade your machine to disk.
At http://aleasoft.iespana.es/sinclair/dostotres.html, this guy mounts 4 TTL chips instead SED for a Spectrum +3, perhaps the same could be adapted to CPC+ 464

iainjh

thanks guys, I'll look at getting that interface or find a 6128.

soldering that level is beyond me I think..

ta:)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Jeff_HxC2001

Gryzor

Is there a list of changes somewhere, for the Rev.C?

CPCIak

New firmware v1.3.0.4
What does double step support mean?

robcfg

Double Step normaly applies to 5.25" drives and means that when using a 360kb disk in a 1.2Mb drive that the head of the drive must be moved twice per track to properly position it on the disc surface because of the differences in the head between low density and high density drives.

xesrjb

did someone recieve the new HxC Rev. C. I payed in Okctober and I didn`t get one till today!?!

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

robcfg

Not yet, and I already sold my Rev B board to a friend...  >:(

Jeff_HxC2001

robcfg

Thanks for the info!

The sd floppy emulator is top notch stuff!

xesrjb

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

Jeff_HxC2001

a small news:

New Rev C SD HxC Floppy Emulator Preorder :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180592972686

and a new webstore is now open :

http://www.lotharek.pl/

http://lotharek.pl/null/product/info/3

Project webpage :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator

robcfg

Mine just arrived!

Can't wait to try it at home...