News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pros & Cons HxC SD-Interface

Started by CPCIak, 13:07, 11 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Well, if the device entered an infinite loop then indeed I cut the power while access was on. But this is a design issue, because you just can't stop the loop, can you? I saw in 1.2.0.1 (gaaaa! Got to update! I'm turning obsessive-compulsive!) that you escape the loop by reverting to autoboot.hfe. But what Autoboot is not present?

I think it'd be best if the board just stopped reading the bad file after a number of tries (and you could make this an option in the config file to be set by the user). What do you think? :)

Still, this doesn't explain why the brand new card had problems... I'll try the method you suggested tomorrow, but I'll try to fill the entire 2GB disk with a file. Also, I guess you don't actually need to zip a file, just a program to calculate the checksum I guess?

Btw, with the latest firmware and/or manager, when you switch pages by reaching the end of a page or pressing left/right, it takes a LOT of time to become responsive after displaying the rest of the list... I think the interface would greatly benefit if it used multiple columns and devoted mor space to the file list instead of losing half the lower screen to the instructions and logo...

But, in case I appear to be complaining a lot, I just have to say: I LOVE THIS BOARD and I haven't regretted buying it for a moment...

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:56, 10 August 10
@TFM: thanks, man... but at this point, with all the paraphernalia on my CPC it's a bit too much also bringing out the old ROM box :D

So, anyhone has a Discology version that doesn't run with |CPM? :)

Maybe you should use your old ROM box :D ... because there is a ROM version of Discology. In case you don't find it on the net, and in case you really like to use it, then PM me. I have to search & find it first.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Nah - I'm trying to keep the setup lean... just want to copy some disks!

I'll probably use Oddjob to copy a Discology image to Drive A (can it do that?)

Jeff, I just covered every byte of the 'bad' SD with a rar file and it decompressed just fine after copying it back to the PC... If you're interested I could maybe mail you the SD card to check?

[Edit] here is a tool to test an SD card... gonna try and use it now.
[Edit2] flashnul.exe x: -T returns no errors...

Gryzor

Quote from: archcosmo on 14:12, 10 August 10
Hey Gryzor,

also (on topic), my testing with SD Floppy Manager hasn't yet got it working to the point of choosing a disk image, unlike what everyone else is reporting :(

I spent a few hours over the weekend trying out all the combinations of jumpers and ABBA drive switch settings on my CPC 6128 with a few SD cards... and can consistently get an error message if I load the Floppy Manager from Drive A, and a different message when run from Drive B.... maybe someone can load my setup into their SD Floppy emulator and check it for me??? using it normally through the LCD menu and push buttons can run HFE files no problem, I just can't get the Floppy Manager software working on my setup :(

here's the summary: I've run the floppy manager on my FAT32 formatted SD card, using firmware v1.1.3.0, and Floppy Manager v1.3a software and using one of either: SanDisk 2GB Class 2 SD card, SanDisk 4GB Class 2 SDHC card, SanDisk 8GB Class 2 SDHC card, or a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 SDHC Card...

If i run the Floppy manager from Drive A (IDx jumper as first drive, ABBA switch set the external floppy to Drive A, internal 3" set to B drive), the outcome is the application displays on the monitor "Mounting SD card" which then displays at the top of the screen the message "FAT_FS: Error could not load FAT details (-2)!". The LCD display on the SD HxC displays "Direct Access LBA: 0000000", and the green LED is flashing, orange LED is not lit....

If i run the Floppy manager from Drive B (IDx jumper as second drive, ABBA switch set the external floppy to Drive B, internal 3" floppy as the A drive), the outcome is the application displays on the monitor "Init SD floppy" which then displays the message "ERROR: Floppy Access error! [64]". The LCD display on the SD HxC displays "Direct Access LBA: 0000000", and the green LED is flashing, orange LED is flashing....

if i test the Floppy manager program with a Lexar 2GB Class 2 SD Card, running it from drive A will display the message on screen "Reading HXCSDFE.cfg" and nothing happens (waited several minutes just to be sure). LCD screen displays "Direct Access LBA: 0000000"
changing the jumper and ABBA switches so that the SD HxC emulator is then set to the B drive, will generate the message "Init SD floppy" which then changes to displaying the message "ERROR: Floppy Access error! [64]". The LCD display on the SD HxC displays "Direct Access LBA: 0000000"

can anyone else try out my settings and HFE game (1943) on their own SD HxC board, and report back what happens?

cheers!

Mate, just tried 1943 with your settings (I didn't realize you had included the hfe image). It runs beautifully with my setup (Emulator set as drive B through jumper)... let me know if I could do/test anything else for you!

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:32, 11 August 10
Nah - I'm trying to keep the setup lean... just want to copy some disks!

I'll probably use Oddjob to copy a Discology image to Drive A (can it do that?)

Jeff, I just covered every byte of the 'bad' SD with a rar file and it decompressed just fine after copying it back to the PC... If you're interested I could maybe mail you the SD card to check?

Yes if you want:

Gryzor

You got it, one micro-SD on its way tomorrow morning. Btw, you do have an SD adaptor, don't you? I guess everyone and their dog has a few of them lying around by now, but I thought I'd make sure...

archcosmo

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 18:53, 10 August 10
Which computer are you using ? 464 6128,6128+ ?
Quote from: Gryzor on 08:11, 11 August 10
Mate, just tried 1943 with your settings (I didn't realize you had included the hfe image). It runs beautifully with my setup (Emulator set as drive B through jumper)... let me know if I could do/test anything else for you!

hi Jeff,

I've been using the SD HXC emulator just on my CPC 6128

do you have a short list of SD cards that you've personally tested with the floppy emulator during it's development? it just seems strange to be getting similar error messages with a few different kinds of SanDisk SD cards (purchased brand new from the retail store, and then reformatted using the SD card formatter) when others are reporting no issues after reformatting their SD card

I haven't yet updated my SD HxC boards (I have two, the red PCB variant from the 1st batch sold via ebay, and a black PCB from Lotharek's 2nd batch) to the latest firmware version, but I'll do it over the weekend, reformat some SD cards and try it out again :)

can anyone else report back on what SD Card (brand, capacity and Class if possible) they're using successfully in their SD HXC along with the Floppy Manager - it'll satisfy my curiosity with what's working for other people on the forum! :)

Hi Gryzor

thanks for checking - I appreciate it! though a little disappointed that i can't play it the same way you've just done! lol

cheers

Gryzor

Ok... been trying to make the board appear as Drive A and I'm hitting various walls... could someone explain to me in detail what exactly must be done?

By 'detail' I mean:
-hxcfloppyemulator.cfg
-HXCSDFE.CFG
-jumpers
-internal floppy cable (can I just remove the power supply?)

Thanks!
Gry

Ynot.zer0

now you know why the crocodile-clip scenario came about  ;D

.CFG files I'm using are the one's that came with the FloopyManager software download - I have not modified them.

okay, are you attempting to replace the internal 3" drive in a 6128? or have the HxC plugged into the 'disc drive 2' flat edge connector out the back of the 6128?

I was able to successfully plug the HxC into the 'disc drive 2' flat edge connector and operate as Drive A with the following jumper settings:
.  .  .
. [.] .
. [.] .

To get it to work internally to replace the 3" drive I had to set the jumper to be:   (the jumpers are described in the PDF but it took me a while to actually understand what it meant):

.  .  .
[.] . .
[.] . .

The flaw I found with having the HxC replacing the internal drive is that I needed to make a new 26pin -> 34pin cable (I documented the pin matching in a different thread and will update the wiki page).
It works well for me as Drive A (I just cannot get it to be Drive B unless I physically unplug the jumper above and move it to the top - I can live without that for the moment)

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:48, 13 August 10
Ok... been trying to make the board appear as Drive A and I'm hitting various walls... could someone explain to me in detail what exactly must be done?

By 'detail' I mean:
-hxcfloppyemulator.cfg
-HXCSDFE.CFG
-jumpers
-internal floppy cable (can I just remove the power supply?)

Thanks!
Gry

it's only a jumper and cable problem.
Please read the user manual page 9 :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/SDCard_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_User_Manual.pdf

Emulator as the first disk drive
Note : In this case the internal floppy
disk drive must be disabled.
To do this you can connect wire 23 to the
ground (wire 24), or simply unplug the
floppy cable from the internal disk drive.

Gryzor

@ynot: actually I'm trying to make the board, connected on the Drive 2 edge connector, to work as drive A, having first disabled the internal drive. As I said, even having completely unplugged the internal drive (ribbon/power or only power), I can't get it to work... it gives read error problems (with the classic sound coming from the board: gh-ghhhhh...ghhhhh..... gh. gh-ghhhhh....ghhhhh... you get the idea :D).

@Jeff: yes, of course I've read the manual and I went for disabling the internal drive altogether, that's why I asked for further directions (btw, ynot.zero, there are four jumper positions, not three, but I get what you mean).

Question: can I just connect the board to the internal ribbon/power supply and having it hanging out the back of the machine?

Ynot.zer0

....oh! you're connecting to the external connector, in that case, find yourself an old PC internal cable and just short the pins with a couple of wires as mentioned.  I originally did this very successfully.  pins 11&12 and 33&34 - scroll down to the 'Setting the READY signal' section
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5"_drive_to_a_CPC6128/664

I'm intrigued that you mention connecting your board to the internal ribbon?! that's the 26pin connector, no?  as to the power - yes, I re-used the PSU from the internal 3" drive (you swap the two outside wire around as mentioned in the PDF)

Gryzor

I'm not sure why another cable should be used? I did think that, as Jeff's manual mentions, either pin shorting OR drive disabling should work? Oh well, never mind - I'll use that as motivation to replace the failing belt again :D Thanks for your input, however...

About the ribbon that you mentioned -that's why I'm asking: actually I'm at a neighbor's apartment playing on his 360 and don't have my CPC with me (of course), and it was bugging me - I *think* the internal ribbon is more narrow but I'm not sure, but you made that clear :)

Cheers
T

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:02, 13 August 10
I'm not sure why another cable should be used? I did think that, as Jeff's manual mentions, either pin shorting OR drive disabling should work? Oh well, never mind - I'll use that as motivation to replace the failing belt again :D Thanks for your input, however...

About the ribbon that you mentioned -that's why I'm asking: actually I'm at a neighbor's apartment playing on his 360 and don't have my CPC with me (of course), and it was bugging me - I *think* the internal ribbon is more narrow but I'm not sure, but you made that clear :)

Cheers
T

you must do a pin shorting AND disable the internal drive.
I put again the text of the user manual :

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 17:46, 13 August 10
....oh!   you're connecting to the external connector, in that case, find   yourself an old PC internal cable and just short the pins with a couple   of wires as mentioned.  I originally did this very successfully.  pins   11&12 and 33&34 - scroll down to the 'Setting the READY signal'   section
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5"_drive_to_a_CPC6128/664

The HxC Floppy Emulator emulate correctly the Ready signal so shorting pin 33&34 is useless.
The only pins to sort is   11&12 (or pins 23&24 if you take the floppy cable order).

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Gryzor on 23:04, 10 August 10

Btw, with the latest firmware and/or manager, when you switch pages by reaching the end of a page or pressing left/right, it takes a LOT of time to become responsive after displaying the rest of the list... I think the interface would greatly benefit if it used multiple columns and devoted mor space to the file list instead of losing half the lower screen to the instructions and logo...

But, in case I appear to be complaining a lot, I just have to say: I LOVE THIS BOARD and I haven't regretted buying it for a moment...

An important news : Norecess are actually working on the file manager : I just got its version, and the soft are now smaller (faster start and Eprom compatible), and a lot faster.

Like you i am impatient to present you the final version  ;) .

Gryzor

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 19:40, 13 August 10

you must do a pin shorting AND disable the internal drive.
I put again the text of the user manual :

Erm... but... first you say that you must do both the shorting and the drive removal, and then you quote the manual (I'm sleeping with it these days :D ) where it says OR, not and!!

I guess that after all the correct procedure requires and...

Can't wait for the new manager version :) Actually I read Epson compatible in your description :D

norecess

A bit of teasing for HxC Floppy Emulator owners : as Jeff HxC2001 said, in few days, there will be a ROM version of the manager, as also a standard binary to be put in AUTOBOOT.HFE, featuring major speed enhancements and much more !
You will enjoy it for sure.

Gryzor

Hello mate!

Ever since Jeff mentioned it, I've set his webpage to auto-reload every half-hour in Opera :D :D :D

Just a question: when you say "Rom version", does this mean it will be in the form of a firmware update?

If you want any beta-testing please do consider me :)

Can't wait!
Cheers
Gryzor

norecess

By ROM version, I mean traditional CPC rom version to be put on boards like Ramcard extensions etc. same things like Maxam, Protext, etc. from Arnor.
This means that |HXC launch the manager without loading from disc. Fast.. very fast.

Send me your mail at arnaud.storq gdfjkghdfjkhgdfjkhgjksdfhgjksdfh gmail.com ; you can be a beta-tester.

Gryzor

Ohhh darn... gotta find my ROM board, and also someone to blow an EPROM for me... :D

norecess

BTW - I want to publicly congrat Jeff (HxC2001) for providing the sources ; for not being selfish in his project and being that open-minded. This really makes the HxC Floppy Emulator a wonderful product, not just a simple port for any retro machines but a perfect adaptation to CPC machines !

Trust me, he really want the best and I have been really impressed by his technical support so far. Probably the best "con" of this thread I guess  :P

Gryzor

Yeah... Jeff has proved to be very helpful and meticulous. I must really give him my congratulations for his efforts to help and for his contributions even here, even though he's got his own forum. Talk about after-sales support! :)

TFM

Hi, maybe someone of you can help me. I'm thinking of buying two of the read/write HxC floppy emulators. But I've to questions of major interrest:

- Has somebody already tested FutureOS with the HxC? If it is not compatible, I wouldn't need it. Would be great if I can get informations if it works together or not.

- Where can I get the source of the CPC-Image-Manager, you've been talking in the posts before.

I really would apprreciate any kind of help / information.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

I'll try and test it today... do you have, perhaps, a latest, unreleased version you'd like to send me?

Cheers
T

norecess

Let us know how it works for you.. no new internal version yet.