News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick 6128 Plus Tape Mod Question

Started by Badstarr, 13:00, 14 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Badstarr

Just a quick question regarding the 6128 Plus Tape Mod on the wiki. Is it the case that the 1k Resister and the Transistor are only there as part of the circuit to switch the motor on or off? Will it work without these assuming the tape/audio device is sending signals to the correct pins on the ASIC? A quick squint at the schematics makes me think this is the case but I just want to confirm first! :)
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

Correct, if you don't need the CPC to turn the tape on and off automatically, then you don't need these. Although they are handy for multi-load games that start reading the tape again without warning.

Bryce.

Badstarr

Wow that was quick Bryce! Thanks!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

DrMoffet

Following on from this, if I wanted to only load from tapes, and not save or remotely control a tape drive, is it as easy as just soldering two wires to the 'mic' connections?

Bryce

Not the "mic" connection, the other "Tape Output" connection is what you need to connect to, but yes, that's all you need.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 12:56, 06 August 12
Not the "mic" connection, the other "Tape Output" connection is what you need to connect to, but yes, that's all you need.

Bryce.
I can't get it to work, the resistor and/or the transistor are not needed?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

The resistor and transistor are only needed to turn the tape motor relay on and off. If you are just connecting an audio source, then no extra components should be needed, just the GND wire to pin 2 and the audio-in signal to pin 5. You may have to experiment with the volume to get it to work.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Sorry to hijack another long ended thread, But I too unfortunately have a tape Mod question.

I have located the Resistor and Transistor. Perfect.

Question now is... The Relay... should that be connected up on the Normally Open or Normally Closed pins to the DIN socket?

All this to get 'Breaking Baud' running on my main CPC... Oh and then to find a modern Tape recorder with Remove support otherwise I'll be limited to playing in audio from my iPod, and that would seem wrong some how!

Regards

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce