News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick and dirty RAM test for CPC

Started by gerald, 17:07, 12 August 15

Previous topic - Next topic

SpDizzy

Thanks for response @Audronic
It's a version 2 mainboard, PT NO Z70290.
Sorry for the mixture of IC's on attached image (it looks like international aid is needed for this, so any country is doing it's best)  :o

Audronic

@SpDizzy

Thanks for the Photo and the Board Number.

The rest DELETED

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

llopis

Quote from: Audronic on 09:53, 06 October 19
@SpDizzy

Thanks for the Photo and the Board Number.

It looks like it is IC121 Thats Faulty Data 2.

Ray
Is it the left column of DRAM or the right one? I thought it was the right one, but it's kind of non-intuitive.

gerald

Quote from: llopis on 10:18, 06 October 19
Is it the left column of DRAM or the right one? I thought it was the right one, but it's kind of non-intuitive.
Yes, Left column is the Extension RAM. Base RAM is on the right.

Audronic

Deleted

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

SpDizzy

I AM ALIVE!!
Thank you all, folks, another little creature comes again to life.
Just to confirm, it was the 1ST BANK RAM D2, so IC129.
Thanks so much @gerald for this amazing diagnosis memory tool!!

"I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous." :D

ibisum

Hi - I am SO glad to see this tool out there.  I have a CPC6128 which we suspect was overpowered and is not booting - so am I right in thinking that I can use this TEST ROM with the M4 card and determine what RAM might be faulty?

If so, are there any tips/gotchas for working with this test app on the M4 board that I should be aware of?  I've got a couple other working Amstrads, and some spare parts, so I hope to be fixing this machine this week - unless there are other things I should be aware of when using this with the M4?

SpDizzy

Yes, you are right. You can use Geralds RAM test from M4 to determine which IC might be faulty.
Just upload the ROM over the M4 web interface on any working cpc. Take into account It's a lowerrom.
And then, put M4 on the cpc6128 where you want to run the test.Based on the image you see on screen, you can follow this thread to know which IC might be the culprit.