News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Quick Question About DDI-1

Started by Badstarr, 11:48, 04 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Badstarr

Just wondering if there is any particular reason why Amstrad opted to not bother with a through connector on the DDI-1? I'm considering adding a through connector to mine but I didn't want to jump right in, in case I'm missing an obvious reason for one not being present in the first place! 
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

Cos they were lazy bastards. No there's no reason why it couldn't have one. The only thing you need to watch is that you don't connect a ROMBoard / MegaFlash with ROM7 initialised, otherwise it will clash with the ROM7 in the DDI-1, although this is also possible without the thru-connector.

Bryce.

Badstarr

Thanks Bryce! Super quick reply! Perhaps Amstrad wanted to avoid potential ROM clashes by limiting the device chain? But more than likely as you say, they were just being cheap penny pinchers! I have disabled the internal ROM in my DDI-1 so it wont clash with the MegaFlash and the GX Amsdos ROM so I should be good to go  :D .
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

It was most likely a financial decision. Adding an edge PCB would have meant doing an additional manual soldering step, which is rather expensive. Without the thru-connector the entire PCB can be soldered in one trip through the wave solder tank.

Bryce.

Gryzor

So, no lazy bastards after all :D

Bryce

Ok, not really lazy, just cheap.

Bryce.

MacDeath

*The CPC being cheap is a quality, AlanM . Sugar being cheap is a sad truth.
:laugh:

Bryce

Am glad he was cheap, otherwise I may never have had a computer back then.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Me too.

Me three, etc etc.