News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

quicker loading

Started by morcar, 19:34, 02 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

morcar

no not going to change the 464 but the tape recorder I am using to put the cdt to tape.

This one i have here seems to record a lot of noise when the data is not playing.

McKlain

Personally I use one of those cassete adaptors on my 464. I convert the .cdt tape to a .wav file and play it on my mobile phone connected to the cassete adaptor. That method it's a lot more reliable than recording cassete tapes, I think. And let's not talk about the physical space that you are saving  ;D

mr_lou

Quote from: McKlain on 12:58, 29 May 12Personally I use one of those cassete adaptors on my 464. I convert the .cdt tape to a .wav file and play it on my mobile phone connected to the cassete adaptor. That method it's a lot more reliable than recording cassete tapes, I think. And let's not talk about the physical space that you are saving  ;D

Agreed! I've been doing exactly that two days ago for a mate, because I'd bought him a Amstrad CPC464's at a market, and the tape-drive doesn't work. But with the car-adapter and my cellphone it's easy to load games.
That's the solution you want! It's brilliant.

McKlain

Also creating wav files from cdts is incredibly easy using javacpc (thanks markus!).  ;D

mr_lou

Quote from: McKlain on 13:30, 29 May 12Also creating wav files from cdts is incredibly easy using javacpc (thanks markus!).  ;D

I've been using his CDT2WAV tool. Works great. Don't quite know what the Low,Medium,High settings mean, but it works with it on and 44100 hz. Haven't tried other settings.

TotO

Taking a look to AMSTRAD TODAY (thanks iXien), I found this utility to create WAV from CDT files...
Need to rename CDT to TZX before. That work.

http://www.amstradtoday.com/elements/upgrade/k7/tzx2wav.zip

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

ralferoo

I use PlayTZX from here: World of Spectrum - Utilities

Mostly because it integrates nicely into my build process as it can be run from a command line...

McKlain

I prefer to do it in 3 clicks with a gui. Call me lazy  ;D

trocoloco

As McKlain says, the simplest thing is a drag and drop program - > Tape2WAV for the win - > ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/tools/pc/tape2wav1.8.zip

Cholo

Well, im rooting for TAPIR (as mentioned in here):
CDT to real tape on CPC?

It has a nice windows compatible interface as well  :)

Also if you are having a lot of troubles running original tape games as well, then you probably should look into cleaning/aligning the azimuth of the tape head of the 464.

morcar

Quote from: Cholo on 17:18, 29 May 12
Well, im rooting for TAPIR (as mentioned in here):
CDT to real tape on CPC?

It has a nice windows compatible interface as well  :)

Also if you are having a lot of troubles running original tape games as well, then you probably should look into cleaning/aligning the azimuth of the tape head of the 464.

yeah I think I have to as i had my new tape recorder (Sony TCM-939) and it still wont load rainbow islands and arkanoid 2. I am going to try other games though too just in case its down to the freaking loader.

Cholo

Well, one of the advantages of the slow old amstrad block load is that is helps load tapes with errors. Unlike other systems, the amstrad dosnt crash if it runs into a read error, but lets you retry as many times as needed (aka you can rewind the tape and try again). This feature makes it easier for tape data transfer as you can try recording the game multiple times on the same tape and even if all of the recordings has 1 error each then it will load (as long as its not a error on the same number block of cause). Does take a lot of time with all the rewinding/reloading. Its no help with the protected games of cause.