News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Read error a/b in some tapes

Started by bluestar, 22:42, 20 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

bluestar

Hi there

I've recently restored a CPC 464. The unit is completely clean and the tape belt changed. I've several original tapes. Most of them load ok but I recently bought the "Erbe Super 10 pack" (1986) in really good shape (Saboteur, El Zorro, Bruce Lee, Cauldron II, Turbo Sprite and others) and there is no way to load any game (just one of six after several attempts).

Saboteur for instance.... I did several F.F.+REW in order to align the tape... The game starts to load ok. The load screen appears ok and almost at the end appears the "Read error a. Rewind tape" error (I saw a read error b at the firsts attempts not now). If I try with B side it starts with a squezzy sound (something seems to be touching but not always) and then appears the "Read error a" sonner

In most of the games I got the error it happens at the end of the tape, and specially in games with long load times... I don't wanna mess with the azimut

Any ideas???

Thank you!

bluestar

I'm trying now Bruce Lee. Even worse. The screeching sounds starts at the very beginning and the motor can't move the tape.... Why is it happening with this tapes??

Gryzor

Why don't you want to mess with the azimuth? It's pretty simple to do... 

Devlin

Quote from: bluestar on 22:42, 20 March 23Hi there

I've recently restored a CPC 464. The unit is completely clean and the tape belt changed. I've several original tapes. Most of them load ok but I recently bought the "Erbe Super 10 pack" (1986) in really good shape (Saboteur, El Zorro, Bruce Lee, Cauldron II, Turbo Sprite and others) and there is no way to load any game (just one of six after several attempts).

Saboteur for instance.... I did several F.F.+REW in order to align the tape... The game starts to load ok. The load screen appears ok and almost at the end appears the "Read error a. Rewind tape" error (I saw a read error b at the firsts attempts not now). If I try with B side it starts with a squezzy sound (something seems to be touching but not always) and then appears the "Read error a" sonner

In most of the games I got the error it happens at the end of the tape, and specially in games with long load times... I don't wanna mess with the azimut

Any ideas???

Thank you!
I use tapes to load stuff and it honestly sounds like your azimuth is out of alignment or a bad tape, but given what you said, I'm inclined to err away from the tape being bad.
Don't be scared of adjusting the azimuth though - it can make tapes much more reliable in loading.

There is a BASIC listing out there that you can type-in to make it easier to adjust but I can't find it. Anyone else remember it?
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

bluestar

Quote from: Devlin on 09:59, 21 March 23
Quote from: bluestar on 22:42, 20 March 23Hi there

Any ideas???

Thank you!
I use tapes to load stuff and it honestly sounds like your azimuth is out of alignment or a bad tape, but given what you said, I'm inclined to err away from the tape being bad.
Don't be scared of adjusting the azimuth though - it can make tapes much more reliable in loading.

There is a BASIC listing out there that you can type-in to make it easier to adjust but I can't find it. Anyone else remember it?
This one?

https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=6091

bluestar

Quote from: Gryzor on 05:36, 21 March 23Why don't you want to mess with the azimuth? It's pretty simple to do...
It is simple indeed but I had bad experiences in the past when I was a kid... hahaha...

Nevertheless I'm positive this is a mechanical problem as some tapes stops and reduce the speed (plus the screeching sound). Could bee the idler tyre. I've just found you can still buy it or use an o-ring (3/8") or the roller pinch. I'm going to buy an idler tyre replacement and check if it works. If not I'll test the roller pinch.

I've also discovered there are different load speeds, so not all tapes are equal... If the above solution doesn't works I'll try to record one of the tapes in a blank tape with a double decker.

Devlin

Quote from: bluestar on 11:14, 21 March 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 05:36, 21 March 23Why don't you want to mess with the azimuth? It's pretty simple to do...
It is simple indeed but I had bad experiences in the past when I was a kid... hahaha...

Nevertheless I'm positive this is a mechanical problem as some tapes stops and reduce the speed (plus the screeching sound). Could bee the idler tyre. I've just found you can still buy it or use an o-ring (3/8") or the roller pinch. I'm going to buy an idler tyre replacement and check if it works. If not I'll test the roller pinch.

I've also discovered there are different load speeds, so not all tapes are equal... If the above solution doesn't works I'll try to record one of the tapes in a blank tape with a double decker.
Idler tyre can be a pain, clean the original with IPA (unless you can see cracks in it then it *needs* replacing) and that will help.

As odd as it sounds, have you
a) cleaned the power switch inside and out?
b) cleaned or replaced the power jack (I was having all sorts of problems with my 464 and then I cleaned the power jack and switch and they all went away)
c) oiled the motors (you literally need like, one drop of the stuff)

All of those will have a helpful effect, even if you don't consider them necessary.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

GUNHED

3M provides a spray for lubrication of magnetic band. It works wonders (at least for me and music tapes). There are youtube videos about it.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

bluestar

Quote from: Devlin on 12:26, 21 March 23
Quote from: bluestar on 11:14, 21 March 23
Idler tyre can be a pain, clean the original with IPA (unless you can see cracks in it then it *needs* replacing) and that will help.
As odd as it sounds, have you
a) cleaned the power switch inside and out?
b) cleaned or replaced the power jack (I was having all sorts of problems with my 464 and then I cleaned the power jack and switch and they all went away)
c) oiled the motors (you literally need like, one drop of the stuff)
All of those will have a helpful effect, even if you don't consider them necessary.
I did a) more or less (more outside, less inside) b) It's clean. I've tried also with different power supplies c) Honestly no I'll do it plus an inner cleanning of the volume wheel.

Actually I'm a little bit confussed as it could be the tapes too...

bluestar

Quote from: GUNHED on 12:28, 21 March 233M provides a spray for lubrication of magnetic band. It works wonders (at least for me and music tapes). There are youtube videos about it.

It looks scary!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9frNzqrhU

Gryzor

Not really, pretty simple looking actually.

Thanks, @GUNHED , had no idea! 

bluestar

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:07, 21 March 23Not really, pretty simple looking actually.

Thanks, @GUNHED , had no idea!
Simple it is but... if you miss 1 second of music is annoying buyt you can still listen the song. If you lose a bit of information....

I's like to hear experience with CPC tapes.

Bryce

If the cassettes aren't welded closed then just loosening the cassette screws can help.

Bryce.

bluestar

Quote from: Bryce on 16:12, 21 March 23If the cassettes aren't welded closed then just loosening the cassette screws can help.

Bryce.
No screws.... I'm just now "twisting" the tapes and rewind+FF in another cassete deck... Gonna try again in a few minutes in the CPC

bluestar

- Turbo Esprit. Now loading. Seeing the load screen with the Lotus. No weird sounds. Crossing fingers... AND DRIVING!!!!!! wohoooooooo 1 of 8
- El Zorro's time.... screeching sound at the very beginning. Loading block 1. Read error b. Go for side B... a small screeching sound at the beginning. LOADING: Please Wait message... blue border. C'mon baby! Zorro's and US GOLD logo loading... strange sound like dying without air. Tape stops. Screen goes to black :( There's something at the beginning of side A (end of side B)
- Ok Bruce Lee. I trust in you. A lot of screeching sound at the beginning. Loading block 1. Mode 0. Loading Please wait message... blue border... black lines in the border.... Bruce's images plus US Gold logo loading... Image loaded... Tape stops. Screens goes to black... OMG Side B same screeching sound and Read error a at the very beginning. Second attempt on side B was even worse. Tape stops. I think the magnetic tape is very close to the reader... Side A again and Read error b now. Gonna let tape deck on hold for a while before try Saboteur
- Saboteur. No strange sounds. Loading block 1 (some screeching sound of course) blue border, black screen and... the ninja starts to load. Same as yesterday. Double crossing fingers. Ninja is fully displayed. Same as yesterday. There is still hope. Screeching sound. Read error b (plus Read error a when I hit Stop). Mierda. Gonna try side B and I'll let it go until I got the idler tyre spare. (Got a read a error while loading ninja image on side B)

freemac

Tape fast forward (and fast rewind)? it solve VHS problems  8)

bluestar

Quote from: freemac on 13:09, 22 March 23Tape fast forward (and fast rewind)? it solve VHS problems  8)
Unfortunately not... Fast rewind?

Bryce

Quote from: bluestar on 16:32, 22 March 23
Quote from: freemac on 13:09, 22 March 23Tape fast forward (and fast rewind)? it solve VHS problems  8)

Fast rewind = turn the tape over and fast forward again?

Bryce.

bluestar

Quote from: Bryce on 16:36, 22 March 23

Bryce.

How can you turn a VHS tape?  ;D

GUNHED

Get a Video 2000, it has an VHS emulator, which can do it.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

bluestar

Does anyone knows the size of the pinch roller in the CPC 464? Cheers!

Bryce

Quote from: bluestar on 18:16, 22 March 23
Quote from: Bryce on 16:36, 22 March 23

Bryce.

How can you turn a VHS tape?  ;D
You can't, but we're talking about audio tape cassettes here.

Bryce. ;)

ikonsgr

I really didn't expect to find anyone in 2023 loading games from cassettes tapes. Although i too, still enjoy using floppy disks, i'm afraid tapes are beyond my... "patience limit". :)
 You truly deserve the "patience & tolerance" award my friend!  :D 

Gryzor

For what it's worth, I'm loading cdt's even in emulators😁

Bryce

Quote from: ikonsgr on 11:42, 25 March 23I really didn't expect to find anyone in 2023 loading games from cassettes tapes. Although i too, still enjoy using floppy disks, i'm afraid tapes are beyond my... "patience limit". :)
 You truly deserve the "patience & tolerance" award my friend!  :D 

Every so often I have a "tape mood" and load some of the classics from tape, just to relive and enjoy the experience.

Bryce.