News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Reading Spectrum +3 disk on Amstrad CPC 6128

Started by Matalog, 20:04, 26 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Matalog

Hi Folks,

I have a ZX spectrum +3 disk with a program that I wrote years ago in +3 BASIC.  At least, I hope it still contains this program.

The only computer with a 3" disk drive that I am able to get my hands on is an Amstrad CPC 6128, but it's not really readily available - I could put someone out to get it.

Could anyone please tell me if there is any point in trying to get the Amstrad to read the Spectrum file?

It's probably only about 40 lines of BASIC.  Would I be possible to list the BASIC on the Amstrad from the Spectrum disk? That way I can copy the lines or photograph and type in on another computer?

Would it be possible to copy it to tape with a output tape datacorder attached so that it could be played into a pc emulator and converted or read that way?

Is there any way that you can think of, with a bare CPC 6128, to take data from a Spectrum +3 disk, written in +3 Basic and either view it or transfer it to another media?

I saw Are Amstrad and Spectrum disk formats the same? and there is a .dsk file mentioned there - if I could get the cdt and play it into the Amstrad, what would that allow me to see or do with the data on the disk?  Would I be able to LIST the BASIC?

Thanks for any help,

Kind regards,

Matt.

ukmarkh

I heard there was a Speccy emulator for the CPC? Also, the 6128 and Speccy +3 both use CPM, so although you'll be able to cat and list the code, probably even copy, you won't be able to run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matalog

A Spectrum emulator that runs on CPC would be perfect, google isn't returning much on the subject though.

A couple of other people said that I wouldn't be able to list the basic it because of the different versions ukmarkh, i could possibly list the catalog of the directory.

Kind regards,

Matt.

arnoldemu

Hi Mat,

I got your PM. I'll reply here.

The +3 disc can be read on the CPC with some pokes. I will find them out.

You will be able to catalogue the disc and see the files.

The files have a different header than the CPC expects, so you could load them but it'll probably respond with "direct command found". I can give you some code to read them into memory.

The CPC can't list them directly because the BASIC is different but I did write a program on CPC to list 48K Spectrum BASIC. I believe +3 BASIC will be slightly different so it may or may not work.

So the problem is how to get this to the CPC. You mentioned a tape lead.

Can you do this:
1. put the files into a cdt/tzx
2. use playtzx to play this from the PC into the CPC?

If you can this makes it all so much easier.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ZbyniuR

Standard ZX+3 disk look like CPC DATA but 2 tracks more. CPC can read this and Copy files from ZX+3 without problems, but heads in files are different so ZX BIN and BAS files on CPC are seen as ASCII files. Tokens in Basic are not the same. So CPC can list this as HEX in any disk editor but hard to recognise Basic commands.  More easy is copy this file to SD cart (in floppy emulator) after convert HFE to DSK in PC and put this to ZX emulator. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Munchausen

Isn't the answer in the thread linked by @VincentGR ? You can plug a 3.5" drive into the CPC and just copy the whole spectrum disk to 3.5" using discology. Then you can image the 3.5" disk in a PC and load it in an emulator.

Alternatively send the disk to someone with a +3 and the means to copy the files off (3.5" drive, HxC, mass storage of some form)...

FloppySoftware

IIRC +3 has the same disk format as the PCW.

Edit: CP/M information archive : disc formats
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

arnoldemu

On CPC6128 enter this code:

10 REM Initialises XPDB for +3 DOS
20 REM (Spectrum +3 format discs)
30 XPDB=PEEK(&BE42)+PEEK(&BE43)*256
40 FOR i=0 TO 25:READ D:POKE XPDB+i,D:NEXT 
50 END:DATA &24,0,3,7,0,&AE,0,63,0,&C0,&00,16,00,1,0,1,9,42,82,&E5,2,4,0,&FF,&FF

Now you can view the Spectrum files.

EDIT: The code gives an error but still works. I think in line 40 it needs to be FOR i=0 to 24:
My games. My Games

Kris

Small and useful program ! Thank you Arnoldemu ;)

arnoldemu

I will follow up this thread soon with code to list a spectrum+3 basic program from the CPC. I definitely have one that lists 48K BASIC on the CPC. I wrote it a few years ago.

My original basic code used UTOPIA to load the file into memory.
My games. My Games

Matalog

Thanks for the replies.  I'm slowly getting a plan together for when I get the 6128, but I may only have 30 mins with it so I want to be ready when I get to it.

I have an old 3.5" floppy drive from around the time of the BBC Micro - thanks for pointing that out Munchausen. I may be able to connect that to the back of the 6128, but I have been getting different results on what connections are on the back of the 6128 for drive B, in some photos it isa Centronics port and in some photos it is an edge connector, were there different versions?  I have a cable that fits my drive and goes to an edge connector socket. Will I have to short 2 pins on the cable? 

Thanks for that code arnoldemu, so now I should definitely be able to see the file, and hopefully be able to copy it to a 3.5" disk.  Is there a copy disk command on Amstrad?  If you find that code that lists 48K BASIC on the CPC, I would be grateful for it, I think it could save me some time by taking photos of the program if I can get it listed.

Will I have to format the 3.5" disc for Amstrad to get the 6128 to write to it?  Does anyone know how I would then get the Spectrum software off the Amstrad disk on a windows PC?
Thanks again,

Matt.

Executioner

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 23:18, 26 February 16
IIRC +3 has the same disk format as the PCW.

Edit: CP/M information archive : disc formats

You should be able to enable PCW format in ParaDOS 1.2 if that's the case.

Matalog

I'll be getting to use the Amstrad in a day or 2.

I found out the 6128 has an edge connector plug, so my cable will fit it.  Does anyone know if I will have to short 2 pins and if I don't will that cause problems? Pins 33 and 34 like it describes here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5

arnoldemu, did you ever happen to find the code for reading Spectrum BASIC on Amstrad?  That would be the best and easiest way for me to get the program off the computer - given my lack of knowledge of Amstrad systems.

Thanks again, for any further help,

Matt.

Munchausen

Quote from: Matalog on 23:33, 09 March 16
I'll be getting to use the Amstrad in a day or 2.

I found out the 6128 has an edge connector plug, so my cable will fit it.  Does anyone know if I will have to short 2 pins and if I don't will that cause problems? Pins 33 and 34 like it describes here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5

arnoldemu, did you ever happen to find the code for reading Spectrum BASIC on Amstrad?  That would be the best and easiest way for me to get the program off the computer - given my lack of knowledge of Amstrad systems.

Thanks again, for any further help,

Matt.

I have always needed to connect these, yes. But as the guide says, it's easy, you can even use a paperclip.

Matalog

In a fortunate turn of events, 1 day before I got my hands on the Amstrad, I found a +3 on gumtree for £40.  I changed the belt and it's working.  I got half of the program I was looking for - I can't read the other side of the disk where the graphics part may have been or the whole.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Matt.

arnoldemu

i did find my spectrum basic listing program on cpc. But i couldnt make it load and list larger basic files reliably so that is why i didnt post it.
My games. My Games