News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recommendations for use of CF card/SD card on 6128

Started by lmimmfn, 23:49, 18 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

lmimmfn

Finally after 35 years i've returned to becoming a CPC owner again and in fact i'm a lot more posh now with a 6128 as opposed to a peasant 464(no offence 464 owners!!) back in the day :)

The 6128 is in great condition(french AZERTY version unfortunately but something for another day to address :) ). Recently had the drive band redone, drive works great and general cleanup it looks fantastic other than a few scores here and there as expected.

So i'd like to download games etc. to have on the CPC. I could go gotek, i would prefer external gotek if i take that route, any non UK links for that?
Is the M4 an option also for SD card for loading games? i realise it supports ROM loading so i could technically swap my AZERTY for QWERTY bios(excluding physical keys), whats the other advantage of M4?
Short term(i.e. asap ) would it be better to go external gotek as a basic necessity while asking for/waiting for M4?(not sure if backlogged, if delays from requesting etc. )

Completely clueless regarding CPC hardware as have been out of the ownership scene for so long.
6128 for the win!!!

RetroCPC

I'm much in the same siutation as you - I found an INTERNAL  Gotek drive worked well for me:-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163990906104?hash=item262e9ea4f8:g:6okAAOSwTWhd9qr9

I have an M4 from Duke, but not had the time to try it, the Gotek is very easy to use...

My biggest problem with reentering the CPC world was geting an LCD monitor to work with the CPC.

lmimmfn

Thanks i ordered a gotek with external cables etc. today, hope it has everything i need, lets see :) (it never works out lol).
Unfortunately i cant do an internal gotek drive, i have a thinng about replacing old hardware with new alternatives vs adding new hardware to old stuff, its just me :)
Ordered one on AMIGAstore.eu which has external cables and power, will look into housing for it so it wont look like crap :)

I got a great shape 664(i think thats the number) monitor with my 6128, i have 0 interest in using an LCD yet, the problem is CRTC tricks most likely wont work with LCD solutions which for me make most of the more interesting games unusable.

I need to look into M4
6128 for the win!!!

banana

Did you get your Gotek with the Flashfloppy firmware or HxC?I'm in the same situation, I'm looking to buy an external Gotek, I like my computers to be authentic, don't want to change them.

RetroCPC

I ordered exactly from this link:-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163990906104

Alhough as it was awhile ago, I'm not sure if the vendor has changed the listing since my purchase to the FlashFloppy variant...

A couple of weeks ago I tried to upgrade an old IMB PC device with a FlashFloppy 1.44 usb drive - I failed to get it to work... but the above unit works OK with my CPC6128 - it was basically fit and forget....

I have no problem with upgrading the internal dirve - it can always be swapped back later if I wanted my CPC in "orignal" condition. - 3" FDD are very hard to find and expensive thesedays so in reality I was never going to use it...

banana

Thanks for the link. So you got an internal variant. I prefer an external one.

lmimmfn

Quote from: banana on 13:09, 20 May 21
Did you get your Gotek with the Flashfloppy firmware or HxC?I'm in the same situation, I'm looking to buy an external Gotek, I like my computers to be authentic, don't want to change them.
I ordered with Flashfloppy as recommendations online are that its easier ti go from Flashfloppy to HxC rather than vice versa.
I ordered it from Amigastore.eu, still stuck in packaging phase which makes their premium expediated solution useless.

I also ordered a n M4 board
6128 for the win!!!

Skunkfish

Hello, I supply Gotek drives and have still have some nice aluminum enclosures available for an extra £5.50:

https://www.cpcstore.co.uk/product/gotekdrive/7

An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)