News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recommended PSU and SCART Cable for 6128??

Started by TheBuff1, 20:36, 18 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBuff1

Hello

I have finally tracked down a 6128 and it should be here by the end of the week  ;D . However, I do not have a monitor for it but I have seen various PSU/SCART kits available on eBay but was wondering if anybody could vouch for one or recommend one from a different place. Really don't want to fry my 6128 after going to loads of trouble of finding one!

Apologies if this has been raised on here before!  :-[

Thanks in advance

Guy0me

Amstrad - Retro Gaming, Electronics and Novelty Gifts

You are from UK right so i buy only video scart cable , not power supply cause in France it's a different connection..

Carnivius

Quote from: guyome on 21:42, 18 May 15
Amstrad - Retro Gaming, Electronics and Novelty Gifts

You are from UK right so i buy only video scart cable , not power supply cause in France it's a different connection..

I bought their 464 PSU and SCART cable a few weeks back off their eBay page for my 464 to connect to my spare HDTV and it works really nicely.    I would assume the 6128 versions be just as good.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

chinnyhill10

Quote from: bjt on 23:29, 18 May 15
I use this PSU, works fine.

UK AC/DC 5V 2A 2000mA Switching Power Supply adapter 100-240V AC | eBay

Looks like a great way to burn your house down.

Does nobody ever listen to a thing I say on here about cheap Ebay PSU's?  >:(
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

KaosOverride

KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

chinnyhill10

This is my weapon of choice for my 6128 and HxC.

ECP-20-5U | 5V dc, 1 Output, Switch Mode, ErP Compliant, Plug In Power Supply,

And it also has a data sheet. http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0f79/0900766b80f79be8.pdf

4 amps is overkill for a 6128. You could happily run it and the HxC on a 2.5 Amp supply. But it's a decent supply so I went with it.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TheBuff1

Thanks for the replies.

Am I right that I would need two PSU's to power a 6128 (extra one for the disk drive?) - never had one before, was a 464 kid! If so are they different??

Sorry but I know nothing about PSU's!!

I've seen a complete PSU/SCART set for the 6128 on ebay by cool-novelties for £30 - has anyone tried them out before or is it a risk??

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TheBuff1 on 20:20, 19 May 15
Thanks for the replies.

Am I right that I would need two PSU's to power a 6128 (extra one for the disk drive?) - never had one before, was a 464 kid! If so are they different??

Sorry but I know nothing about PSU's!!

I've seen a complete PSU/SCART set for the 6128 on ebay by cool-novelties for £30 - has anyone tried them out before or is it a risk??

If you are going to use the external disk drive you'll need to provide it with a separate 12 volt feed.

People do sell the kits. Personally I'd look at the Retro Computer Shack although I cannot vouch for the quality of any PSU other than the ones I buy from RS. There's so much stuff around that looks fine but isn't that I will only recommend RS.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

seanb

I bought the cool novelties psu and scart kit but not the one with the disk drive psu.

All the stuff I've bought from them has been fine *touch wood*

Anything I've bought from retro gaming shack has been fine too
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

TheBuff1

Thanks for all of the replies guys - I appreciate the advice.

So cannot wait for my 6128 to arrive!  ;D

Just need to look into an HxC emulator now!

seanb

I would suggest you will get more use out of an hxc if you buy it rather than look at it.
Tried that and it didn't work
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

CraigsBar

Quote from: seanb on 22:17, 20 May 15
I would suggest you will get more use out of an hxc if you buy it rather than look at it.
Tried that and it didn't work
ROFL.

Gotta love the English language.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

bjt

I'm using this PC power supply now, it will supply 5V and 12V no and seems good quality. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.
It has a variable-speed fan, so at the low loads that a CPC will exert it's really quiet.

Seasonic SS-250SFD Active Power Supply 250w PSU | eBay

chinnyhill10

Quote from: bjt on 13:48, 10 July 15
I'm using this PC power supply now, it will supply 5V and 12V no and seems good quality. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.
It has a variable-speed fan, so at the low loads that a CPC will exert it's really quiet.

Seasonic SS-250SFD Active Power Supply 250w PSU | eBay

Just take note that below certain loads ATX power supplies can get unhappy. They can shut off or may even go over voltage. Basically they need a certain threshold to be able to operate reliably and you'll need to read the data sheet for any individual PSU to ensure your CPC isn't getting an over voltage supply.

However the latest ATX PSU's that work with Intels new low power mode can operate reliably on virtually no current draw at all. Indeed this is how I built my Amiga PSU. However that cost me £70!

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 17:09, 10 July 15

Just take note that below certain loads ATX power supplies can get unhappy. They can shut off or may even go over voltage. Basically they need a certain threshold to be able to operate reliably and you'll need to read the data sheet for any individual PSU to ensure your CPC isn't getting an over voltage supply.

However the latest ATX PSU's that work with Intels new low power mode can operate reliably on virtually no current draw at all. Indeed this is how I built my Amiga PSU. However that cost me £70!

They won't switch on if the current is too low, but I've never heard of one giving out an over-voltage because the current is too low and I doubt this can happen, because it would also be fatal for PCs if they could do this.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 19:31, 12 July 15
They won't switch on if the current is too low, but I've never heard of one giving out an over-voltage because the current is too low and I doubt this can happen, because it would also be fatal for PCs if they could do this.

Bryce.
In fact they may switch on, but with a very bad load regulation and high ripple.
That ripple can be on the over-voltage range while average voltage is still in allowed range.

Bryce

Ah ok, I thought he meant the voltage rose (ie: target voltage). Yes, the ripple would be all over the place, probably high enough to fry logic if it was really bad.

Bryce.