News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 key restoration

Started by balford, 23:24, 02 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

balford

Hello folks,

First post here - woohoo!

It's been 25 years since I lay hands on a CPC, so the other day I redressed that with the purchase of a nice condition CPC 464 :)

One minor issue that affects it is that the coloured keys are somewhat discoloured, especially the Enter keys:

Is there anything I can do to reverse this? I assume that it may be a similar issue to the (cough)Commodore case yellowing, and if so, would Retrobriting be a safe avenue?

Cheers,
B

chinnyhill10

Yep, UV damage.

Anyone tried retrobriting them? I know Future Was 8 But tried it with some black BBC Micro keys and damaged them. Wonder how it works on the Blue, green and red keys on the 464?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

Sounds dangerous, Retr0bright is quite an aggressive product. It could easily affect the paint (although I am not saying that it will necessary cause a problem). You could try applying it in the internal part of the key to check what happens... (but, it you try this, protect the non treated areas very well, you really don't want the UV irradiating the whole key).

balford

Hmm, I'm quite a noob when it comes to retrobrite, I've just conducted a couple of tests with the off-the-shelf BBlonde stuff so far.

Sounds like I'd need to try and obtain a scrap cap for some sacrificial testing.

B

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 23:59, 02 November 15
Sounds dangerous, Retr0bright is quite an aggressive product. It could easily affect the paint

It's not paint. It's a different colour of plastic.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: balford on 00:24, 03 November 15
Hmm, I'm quite a noob when it comes to retrobrite, I've just conducted a couple of tests with the off-the-shelf BBlonde stuff so far.

Sounds like I'd need to try and obtain a scrap cap for some sacrificial testing.

B

What I found when I did the ST the other week was adding a little bit of extra water to the BeBlonde helps it stop drying out (which is the killer).

Can't test on my 464 as the key caps are minty. Looks like its never been near daylight.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Dizrythmia

I wonder, these days people are remoulding cases of classic computers & consoles. Has anyone thought about recreating keys? I know I'd buy a 6128 & 6128+ set if they were available!

dodogildo

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 04:41, 03 November 15
I wonder, these days people are remoulding cases of classic computers & consoles. Has anyone thought about recreating keys? I know I'd buy a 6128 & 6128+ set if they were available!
I'd buy one for 464 and 6128 each, if anyone figure out how to produce new sets. But I'm not optimistic about this happening in near future [emoji53]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

Bryce

Unfortunately Retrobrite won't fix this. My 464 suffers from the same discolouration, so I tested Retrobrite on an old piece of coloured plastic (not from the 464) and you end up with a weird washed-out pail colour that is worse than the plastic was before. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution to fix this yet.

Bryce.

Sun damage... in Ireland! Still makes me laugh every time! :D

AMSDOS

That's rather interesting how far down the key the UV damage has occurred.

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

balford

Quote from: Bryce on 09:18, 03 November 15
Sun damage... in Ireland! Still makes me laugh every time! :D

The machine came from the UK, but your point is equally valid ;)

B

Bryce

The damage to my 464 occurred in Dublin.

Maybe the summers really were better back when we were kids?

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:29, 03 November 15

It's not paint. It's a different colour of plastic.

It still has a die, that is what I was calling "paint" although you are right, strictly talking it is not painted but moulded like that  :) On the other hand, I found that in many many cases, the UV light emitted by normal fluorescent tubes is more that enough to cause the yellowing. Temperature has a role as well  :)

Bryce

To get all pedantic about it... It's actually not dis-colouring as in UV bleaching, it's called "Bromine migration" where the Fire retardant in the plastic "floats" to the top. This is accellerated by UV light and heat. The plastic is just as blue as it always was, it's just that the concentration of bromine has increased.

Bryce.

balford

Having just built myself a indoor Retr0bright 'tanning booth', if the tall key caps are obtainable at all I think I'll give this a go anyway (i.e. would anyone have a spare tall Enter key should I screw this up  :) )

B

balford

Just came across this post which suggests that it's doable. I'll proceed on that basis :)

B

||C|-|E||

Repairing keys is definitely "possible" but only in some machines whose dies are compatible. I seems that the CPC464 is one of them :) . In the past I managed to repair the keys of some calculators with the same method and they look brilliant, but not all the machines behave the same. Good to know that the Amstrad is well behaved  :) .

Bryce

Yes, he got great results. However, I also used BBlonde and didn't get the great results that he got :( I must have done something wrong (not the first time)! Would be interesting to see how it turns out for you though.

Bryce.

1024MAK

Quote from: balford on 23:24, 02 November 15
Hello folks,

First post here - woohoo!

It's been 25 years since I lay hands on a CPC, so the other day I redressed that with the purchase of a nice condition CPC 464 :)

Hello, now where have I seen you before  :laugh:

Welcome to the world of CPC  :D

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

balford

Quote from: 1024MAK on 16:09, 17 December 15
Hello, now where have I seen you before  :laugh:

Tee hee hee :)

I didn't have much success restoring the keys under UVB light as it turns out, so I'm going to wait until spring to give them a good run under proper sunlight.

B